Thread: No web browser with paygo?

Device(s)
    Motorola V176
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone,
    Feedback Score

No web browser with paygo?

I just switched from a 3g to 4g phone. Web browser doesn't work on new phone. CSR says web can't be used with paygo plans, only on monthly plans. Web worked on my 3g phone, and the pageplus web site implies it works with paygo plans, using the published data transport rate.

Has there been a policy change, or is the CSR mistaken? Does anybody know?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwillow1 View Post
    I just switched from a 3g to 4g phone. Web browser doesn't work on new phone. CSR says web can't be used with paygo plans, only on monthly plans. Web worked on my 3g phone, and the pageplus web site implies it works with paygo plans, using the published data transport rate.

Has there been a policy change, or is the CSR mistaken? Does anybody know?
    That's wrong. Try a different CSR.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Check to see that you've got either Wi-Fi or cellular data on, but be careful with cell data as it will drain your PAYGO balance quickly. Shouldn't be a problem here.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Is your phone branded to Page Plus ?? If not, the APN settings may not be already loaded in the phone.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    you don;t want to use any significant amount of mobile data on paygo. it will drain your account pretty fast at 5 cents per megabyte.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Is your phone branded to Page Plus ?? If not, the APN settings may not be already loaded in the phone.
    Never used a phone branded to Page Plus and I think few people do. I've never had an issue on PayGo with 3G or 4G/LTE or VoLTE with just a normal activation. That's not to say something didn't get messed up with the OP's APN during activation but branded or BYOP shouldn't make a difference. I was told once by a CSR (questionable I know) that there's no difference between a SIM that comes in a branded phone and a BYOD SIM. They're just simply Tracfone/Vzw SIMs.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The SIM has little to do with my question. I was referring to the APN settings in the phone if they are not correct. Might require a manual update which is very easy and done quickly. I am not suggesting that anyone has to use a carrier-branded device, as long as it is compatible to that network's cellular frequencies.

Device(s)
    Motorola V176
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone,
    Feedback Score
    The responses encouraged me to try another CSR and I have more info. The phone in question is the $20 flip phone off the page plus website. Today's CSR told me that data was already enabled on my phone. She asked if it said 4GLTE by the signal bargraph (it did), and that means that data is enabled. Sure enough, the built-in browser worked. I thanked her and moved on.

My ultimate goal was to use tethering (costs $50 per gigabyte, but I have available balance to burn for occasional use). As soon as I enable tethering on the phone, two things happen: (1) The computer says I have a wired data connection, and (2) The 4GLTE indicator on the phone goes away. At the same time the built-in browser no longer works. The only way I've found to get the 4GLTE back is to power cycle the phone. I wonder if this could be a hack to the firmware to block tethering? Another observation, the browser on this phone so far looks pretty useless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwillow1 View Post
    The responses encouraged me to try another CSR and I have more info. The phone in question is the $20 flip phone off the page plus website. Today's CSR told me that data was already enabled on my phone. She asked if it said 4GLTE by the signal bargraph (it did), and that means that data is enabled. Sure enough, the built-in browser worked. I thanked her and moved on.

My ultimate goal was to use tethering (costs $50 per gigabyte, but I have available balance to burn for occasional use). As soon as I enable tethering on the phone, two things happen: (1) The computer says I have a wired data connection, and (2) The 4GLTE indicator on the phone goes away. At the same time the built-in browser no longer works. The only way I've found to get the 4GLTE back is to power cycle the phone. I wonder if this could be a hack to the firmware to block tethering? Another observation, the browser on this phone so far looks pretty useless.
    I have the same phone, the Alcatel My Flip if that's the one you got. I just picked mine up at BestBuy. A Tracfone My Flip, exact same phone. Activated on PPC with the SIM that came in it. Tested tethering when I got it and had no issues. Wired tethering is all you can do (not Hotspot) so what your computer said is correct; I don't recall what mine said. And I don't recall if the 4GLTE indication went off. I just know it worked fine. It's a basic phone, once you get use to the browser just set google as one of your "Top Sites" and from there it's easy to search for other sites you use and set them as other "Top Sites". Don't use the "My Sites" with the Tracfone logo under the Top Sites. I have all my email accounts, bank, etc set and easy to get to. It's not a slam dunk like android and Chrome but doable when you get use to it. It's not meant to be a smartphone. Keep playing around with it. But keep in mind that tethering (or hotspot) is not allowed under PPC terms; so limit your use or get deactivated. What's nice is this little puppy does have wifi, so if you have wifi access play with using the browser etc. on wifi to get use to it and set your Top Sites in the browser. It's a great little basic VoLTE phone for the price. Only negative is limited battery life. Keep a charger handy.
    Also, since you're on PayGo I'd recommend turning data off if you're not using it. Prevent any usage surprises.
    Last edited by rpz1; 08-06-2019 at 11:44 PM.