Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: why do verizon basic phones only store media files ?

Device(s)
    j3 1st generation, lg b470, rugby 2
    Carrier(s)
    at&t 2008-2009, tracfone 2009-2017, at&t 2017-2019, metroPCS 2019-present
    Feedback Score

why do verizon basic phones only store media files ?

why does it have a "fixed/closed" file manager, the one in settings>memory.
    why do all the CATEGORIES start with "my" ?
    did you realize verizon has it's own sh***y OS for basic feature phones ?

Feedback Score
    Alcatel GO FLIP™V - Proprietary Alcatel Operating System
    Sonim XP5- Proprietary OS
    Sonim XP5s- Proprietary OS
    Kyocera Cadence LTE - Operating System - Kyocera custom non-touch UI
    Kyocera DuraXV LTE -Android Open Source
    Kyocera DuraXV LTE( non-Camera ) -Android Open Source
    LG Exalt LTE - Proprietary OS

Device(s)
    j3 1st generation, lg b470, rugby 2
    Carrier(s)
    at&t 2008-2009, tracfone 2009-2017, at&t 2017-2019, metroPCS 2019-present
    Feedback Score
    Why didn't you answer my question of why verizon basic/feature phones only store media files.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg442bg View Post
    Why didn't you answer my question of why verizon basic/feature phones only store media files.
    You stated that the basic phones use a Verizon OS. I was showing that is not true. What files would you like them to store? not sure what your issue is. Also not sure why you think I'm required to answer any question by you.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I know it's even worse now than it used to be (or at least it was last I checked)
    Verizon on their 3G phones were BREW based os rather than JAVA based which resulted in a small market and high development costs resulting in an extremely small app selection that were often only available as a subscription rather than a one time purchase.

Last phone I tried was the Kyocera DuraXV LTE and it doesn't even have an app store! I don't know if any of the other LTE flips do.

I've yet to find anything I can really consider a upgrade from my current samsung convoy 3.

Really tho the basic phones used to be pretty bare in features but now they are stripped of even basic functionality.

For curiosity why do you even want a basic phone? They aren't even cheaper monthly than smartphones anymore.
    Personally I use one because I need a phone that works best as a phone and smartphones just aren't good at that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Yeah I know it's even worse now than it used to be (or at least it was last I checked)
    Verizon on their 3G phones were BREW based os rather than JAVA based which resulted in a small market and high development costs resulting in an extremely small app selection that were often only available as a subscription rather than a one time purchase.

Last phone I tried was the Kyocera DuraXV LTE and it doesn't even have an app store! I don't know if any of the other LTE flips do.

I've yet to find anything I can really consider a upgrade from my current samsung convoy 3.

Really tho the basic phones used to be pretty bare in features but now they are stripped of even basic functionality.

For curiosity why do you even want a basic phone? They aren't even cheaper monthly than smartphones anymore.
    Personally I use one because I need a phone that works best as a phone and smartphones just aren't good at that.
    How many apps are you going to use on a flip phone? Who makes apps for flip phones that there needs to be a store?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is?

Flip phones are pretty much for old people, or people who refuse to get a smartphone and usually only want to talk and maybe basic text at most at this point.. anyone who wants apps will get a basic android phone at a minimum then call it a day.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    @Jack Hagar
    Usually weather and email apps, stuff like that. Weatherbug? Desperate gaming companies?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is?

Flip phones are pretty much for old people, or people who refuse to get a smartphone and usually only want to talk and maybe basic text at most at this point.. anyone who wants apps will get a basic android phone at a minimum then call it a day.
    Also for people that don't want to walk around with a note book in their pocket or by their ear. Give me a 3.5" andoird flip like they use in Asia vs 6" any day.

Feedback Score
    @brad15
    I dunno but i'll take a guess that the main complaint is that "basic" phones are being excessively stripped of features, aren't cheaper than a low end smart phone and to top it all off aren't even billed cheaper than smart phones anymore. So why aren't we allowed to have devices that have the formfactor we want since there isn't much of a financial incentive to force people to a smart phones anymore.

Like right now I have a (3G) Samsung Convoy 3 flip phone. I have it on the "Start Unlimited" because there isn't any way I can get cheaper service than having it as part of our family plan despite there being no way I could ever effectively make use of the data side of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Also for people that don't want to walk around with a note book in their pocket or by their ear. Give me a 3.5" andoird flip like they use in Asia vs 6" any day.
    Not all smartphones are size inches and also by the time you flip open that flip phone it's longer than a smartphone.
    Last edited by veriztd; 08-10-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: racial comment deleted

Feedback Score
    @Jack Hagar
    Usually weather and email apps, stuff like that. Weatherbug? Desperate gaming companies?
    and you can prove Verizon's current assortment of basic phones lack these?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    @brad15
    I dunno but i'll take a guess that the main complaint is that "basic" phones are being excessively stripped of features, aren't cheaper than a low end smart phone and to top it all off aren't even billed cheaper than smart phones anymore. So why aren't we allowed to have devices that have the formfactor we want since there isn't much of a financial incentive to force people to a smart phones anymore.

Like right now I have a (3G) Samsung Convoy 3 flip phone. I have it on the "Start Unlimited" because there isn't any way I can get cheaper service than having it as part of our family plan despite there being no way I could ever effectively make use of the data side of it.
    Why not? Put that bad boy on prepaid and pay half the money for unlimited talk and text for the same coverage.

The world and industry has moved on, and you should as well... although there are plenty of $10 options on prepaid for unlimited talk and text, why you are not doing those for a flip phone is beyond me

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    @brad15

Your first mis step is using a flip on postpaid. You could switch it to Verizon Prepaid and that bad boy would be 40 bucks a month.( 35 if it’s on autopay). As for the reason why flips cost more, supply and demand my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrell89 View Post
    Your first mis step is using a flip on postpaid. You could switch it to Verizon Prepaid and that bad boy would be 40 bucks a month.( 35 if it’s on autopay). As for the reason why flips cost more, supply and demand my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Just for clarification, Verizon has a $30 single line postpaid plan for basic phones. It has unlimited Talk/Text and 500MB data. It is described here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/#single

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast