Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: RCS is working for me

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I am leaning toward some phones not being RCS capable.
    Concur.

But SIM shouldn't matter on his newer phone. That's what confuses me. His Google account seems to have RCS enabled so it should work with Google's server and the carrier not matter.
    I thought maybe he had a OE modified SMS app (my past LGs did) but doesn't look that way.

So that's got me questioning if Google has actually enabled it and we are just seeing carrier RCS (and TMO has an incompatible implementation based on some articles)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am leaning toward some phones not being RCS capable.
    OK, just did some testing of that theory.

As I have said before I have 3 phones/sims that have Chat enabled and 1 phone/sim that will not connect. All 3 phones that work are Moto factory/carrier unlocked. The E4 and XPE are both N and the X4 is on P. All are running the latest version of Google Messages and Play Services. The phone/sim that will not connect is a TF branded Samsung J7 Sky Pro with a VW sim running M.

So, I took the VW sim from the Sky and put it in the XPE. No go. The same thing trying to establish a connection.

So it does not seem to have anything to do with the phone. I can't put one of the working sims in the Sky as they are all GSM so can't completely test the Sky.
    Last edited by cv91913; 08-13-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post

So that's got me questioning if Google has actually enabled it and we are just seeing carrier RCS (and TMO has an incompatible implementation based on some articles)
    Google has stated they will not mess with carrier implemented RCS, so I think that's what we are seeing. Not sure who is controlling this though, especially communication issues between carriers.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 08-13-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Google has stated they will not mess with carrier implemented RCS, so I think that's what we are seeing. Not sure who is controlling this though, especially communication issues between carriers.
    It was something about the Pixel 3 and RCS not working with Messages on TMO because of TMO's implementation of RCS.

But Messages works with other carrier implementations, like Verizon and AT&T.

But it doesn't apear that Google has rolled out their RCS in the States yet. That would work I dependent pf the carrier.

Once Google rolls out their implementation carrier won't matter, but doesn't seem we are there yet.

I did get to test the VZW Message+ app some with another phones. Like most things Verizon, no go for chat/RCS with an MVMO.

Back to my preferred app now.

Until it an OS API that other apps can use, I won't be using it. I don't like Google's app (or Verizon's)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It was something about the Pixel 3 and RCS not working with Messages on TMO because of TMO's implementation of RCS.

But Messages works with other carrier implementations, like Verizon and AT&T.

But it doesn't apear that Google has rolled out their RCS in the States yet. That would work I dependent pf the carrier.

Once Google rolls out their implementation carrier won't matter, but doesn't seem we are there yet.

I did get to test the VZW Message+ app some with another phones. Like most things Verizon, no go for chat/RCS with an MVMO.

Back to my preferred app now.

Until it an OS API that other apps can use, I won't be using it. I don't like Google's app (or Verizon's)
    I have to think what I am seeing points to Google managing RCS through their Messenger App. I am having RCS conversations between a TF/T-MOBILE sim/phone and a TF/AT&T sim/phone. Yes, I'm in the US.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    I have to think what I am seeing points to Google managing RCS through their Messenger App. I am having RCS conversations between a TF/T-MOBILE sim/phone and a TF/AT&T sim/phone. Yes, I'm in the US.
    Not a clue now. Everything I can find online say only 2 countries with Google server and no schedule for rolling out in the US.

If it was Google that Chris' Mint SIM would work.

I did see a chart showing carriers with RCS service and it listed TF separate from the underlying carriers. Don't know what to make of that.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

As I have said before I have 3 phones/sims that have Chat enabled and 1 phone/sim that will not connect. All 3 phones that work are Moto factory/carrier unlocked. The E4 and XPE are both N and the X4 is on P. All are running the latest version of Google Messages and Play Services. The phone/sim that will not connect is a TF branded Samsung J7 Sky Pro with a VW sim running M.

So, I took the VW sim from the Sky and put it in the XPE. No go. The same thing trying to establish a connection.

So it does not seem to have anything to do with the phone. I can't put one of the working sims in the Sky as they are all GSM so can't completely test the Sky.
    How about "Carrier Services" on the phones? "Carrier Services" is needed on a lot of phones because it is not there, but it is needed for part of the RCS stuff to work.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    How about "Carrier Services" on the phones? "Carrier Services" is needed on a lot of phones because it is not there, but it is needed for part of the RCS stuff to work.
    Yes, latest version of Messages and Carrier Services on all phones.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I disabled Carrier Services on my TF Fiesta 2. Phone now says, "Chat features are ready for use."

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, latest version of Messages and Carrier Services on all phones.
    Sometime you need to clear Carrier Services cache and/or data.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    I disabled Carrier Services on my TF Fiesta 2. Phone now says, "Chat features are ready for use."
    That is weird. On my Samsung phones, I had to download Carrier Services to get RCS enabled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sometime you need to clear Carrier Services cache and/or data.
    Been there done that.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Google is trying it out with some carriers in Europe. That would have to go well before they attempt to implement in the US. May also be why they are delaying the OS API release for other app access.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Hmm. I have an X4 1900-1 (Android One) and can't get Chat Features working. Stuck on setting up. I'm using TF AT&T sim

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by markazali View Post
    Hmm. I have an X4 1900-1 (Android One) and can't get Chat Features working. Stuck on setting up. I'm using TF AT&T sim
    Yeah, my X4 was stuck on setting up for a long time. Then, one day a couple of weeks ago, it connected. You could try clearing the cache on both Carrier Services and the Google Messages app and restarting the phone.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5