Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, Samsung J3 Sky, Core Prime
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

RCS is working for me

Checked this morning and found that RCS is now active on my LG Fiesta 2 using Tracfone/Verizon. Tested with someone on Total Wireless and confirmed that it's working.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-08-03-08-45-32.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  31.9 KB

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is a very interesting development.

In your testing, did you send a message that you could more or less verify was transported via data, thus around the SMS system, and neither of your (sender/receiver) text buckets was decremented?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, my SMS balance didn't change, so the messages were transported via data, specifically Wi-Fi.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, set Messeges as default app to test this. Then went back to my normal app.

Found this text from 611611 that wasn't showing in the Google app.

At last an explanation of that. Now where was that thread...

I'll note that previous experiments with the app did not generate the message.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post

You may have to clear the cache for the Carrier Services app in order to get RCS working.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good news for sure. Yours is the latest breaking report on this subject, as far as here in HoFo goes.

I'm on PPC with a Fiesta 2, and my sister and her husband are on TracFone with the same model devices. I suppose to best set up a test we all should have the latest version of Messages as well as the Carrier Services app installed (neither of which I currently have).

As much as I really like the idea of this long overdue development, because I use Google Voice (for calls as well as texting), I probably won't use this regularly because it won't show my GV number as my sender ID.

My best bet for that was back when the Hangouts app could be used as a replacement for the native texting app, even when offline (no data). That feature was eliminated a while back.

I'd guess there'll be more to the story with Google's messaging apps in the years to come.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I was getting that message with my phone till I finally figure it out that it was from RCS. I have had RCS on my Straight Talk phone and my dad's Straight Talk phone for a few months now.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have been doing some testing of RCS support on TF.

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro using a Verizon sim. It comes with the Samsung version of Messages. That app has no Chat settings. I installed the Google version and it does show Chat options but it just hangs trying to setup Chat. I cleared the cache for both apps as well as Google Carrier Services. No joy!

I was using my Moto X4, running a TF AT&T sim, to send/receive test texts. In the past, if I chose Chat under settings, it just said that Chat was not supported by the carrier. But today, I noticed that when I chose the Chat option in Settings, it now says Status is "Connected". Sounds good but any texts I send are still being deducted from the text bucket. Not sure if the text has to be to another RCS capable device. Don't see how that could be the case but I don't know. I can see that some of the functions of RCS require both sides of the text to be RCS capable, but just sending, should not require the receiver to be RCS capable.

Bottom line, don't know if anything has changed.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I was getting that message with my phone till I finally figure it out that it was from RCS.
    Interesting that the Google Messages app hid it but didn't delete it. I only saw it because I use an other app. No notification when it was received like VVM when properly handled, but VVM message doesn't stay around.

I just saw it and remembered the past thread about it.

I'd assume my account has been set for RCS I just wasn't using an app that would ask for a code to be sent.

Not sure why others would get the message if not using the Google app.

And I won't be using RCS until other/3rd party apps get support. The new API was supposed to be in Q, but that looks to have been pushed until R now.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 08-03-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
    Yes, my SMS balance didn't change, so the messages were transported via data, specifically Wi-Fi.
    Same phenomenon when I use Apple iMessage - I can send several hundred text messages & my TF text balance barely budges.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
    You may have to clear the cache for the Carrier Services app in order to get RCS working.
    RCS worked fine in the Google app. My point was just the mystery message from a few months back. Showing up when I switched back to my preferred app.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok, I'm game. What is RCS?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...rcs-messaging/

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Interesting that the Google Messages app hid it but didn't delete it. I only saw it because I use an other app. No notification when it was received like VVM when properly handled, but VVM message doesn't stay around.

I just saw it and remembered the past thread about it.

I'd assume my account has been set for RCS I just wasn't using an app that would ask for a code to be sent.

Not sure why others would get the message if not using the Google app.

And I won't be using RCS until other/3rd party apps get support. The new API was supposed to be in Q, but that looks to have been pushed until R now.
    I was using using the Samsung Messages, and not Google Messages. Once I switched to Google messages, these disappeared, but for the ones received from before switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    RCS is Rich Communication Service. It is going to replace SMS/MMS sometime, but when is a good question.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have it enabled now too. It was not there yesterday. Don't have anybody to try it with though. Is not enabled on my other phone on TF/T-Mobile.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 08-03-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast