Thread: RCS is working for me

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    WhatsApp doesn't use you cell number.

In all the years I've been using WhatsApp, my cell phone number that defines my account there is the only mean that other people find me and contact me with that app. I haven't provided any other type of UserID, account#, email or whatnot for them to reach me with it, if that is possible.

ETA: I know you can have your regular cell # of your account while using the device with another number (e.g, after a sim swap) as I have done it myself. But a unique cell phone number is the main account identifier AFAIK and if you need to change it you have to verify to be the owner of the new number AFAIK.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Maybe I'm mixing up apps. Most use app specific IDs and only work if all participants use the app.

Vs an OS level API like SMS/MMS.

That said, I'm in no hurry for it. I just see the appeal.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure WhatsApp only works between like installed apps. It isn't an SMS replacement app like, say, Textra that works over the carrier voice/text network portion.

Probably what happens is a person's cell number is indexed to an unseen identifier in the installed app, and that becomes the user's visible representation on WhatsApp to other users.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Just noticed it on my T-Mobile based service. I am using an unlocked G6 Play.

Also noticed that text usage applied as well.
    Last edited by quint101; 08-10-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Quote was not captured. Updated on usage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101 View Post
    Just noticed it on my T-Mobile based service. I am using an unlocked G6 Play.

Also noticed that text usage applied as well.
    I assume you are using the Google Messages app in the G6 Play? In Settings > Chat features does it say Status: Connected? I have a TF/T-Mobile phone that says Status: Setting up..., which means the network has not enabled RCS on that line yet. It took a few months for my TF/VZW BYOP to enable. Even if enabled, you have to be connected with someone also enabled to get it to do anything.

Feedback Score
    Things seem to be moving forward. In the last week or so, phones with a TF AT&T sim and TF T-mobile sim are both showing connected to chat. TF Verizon sim is still trying to connect.

I sent a text from the AT&T phone to the T-mobile phone and it showed "Chat message" by the text entry box. When the T-mobile phone was typing a response, I could see an "..." indication on the AT&T phone. Same going the other direction. I did not, however, receive a read receipt on either phone. When I sent a text to a different phone what does not have chat enabled, it said "Text message" beside the entry box.

It looks it is using WiFi but am having problems getting balance info from TF so not sure.

Update: Finally got balance info and text balances are not being used. It is sending over WiFi. Also found "Read receipt". If you long press on an individual text message and choose the 3 dot more menu, select "View Details" it will show that the text was sent using RCS and when it was received and read. It will also say "read" under the selected message bubble.
    Last edited by cv91913; 08-12-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Update

Feedback Score
    The good news is RCS seems to be alive on TF. The bad news is...I turned it off.

After some more testing I have found some issues that make it less than useful. For RCS to be "Connected" you must have WiFi or Data turned on and connected. Both sides of the conversation have to be "Connected" at the time of the text if you want the text delivered now. If I send a text while connected to RCS, it uses WiFi or Data to send it. The problem is that the receiver also has to be connected. The receiver will not get the text until they connect to WiFi or Data. There is a setting that says something like "Resend messages if undelivered" that resends as SMS. The problem is it took about 5 min to resend. May not be a big deal in most cases but not worth it to me for now.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    The good news is RCS seems to be alive on TF. The bad news is...I turned it off.

After some more testing I have found some issues that make it less than useful. For RCS to be "Connected" you must have WiFi or Data turned on and connected. Both sides of the conversation have to be "Connected" at the time of the text if you want the text delivered now. If I send a text while connected to RCS, it uses WiFi or Data to send it. The problem is that the receiver also has to be connected. The receiver will not get the text until they connect to WiFi or Data. There is a setting that says something like "Resend messages if undelivered" that resends as SMS. The problem is it took about 5 min to resend. May not be a big deal in most cases but not worth it to me for now.
    Thanks for the report. It sounds like the app/system needs some refinement. It's good that it has that "Resend messages if undelivered" setting, but it needs some work so it will resend quicker than 5 minutes if the recipient doesn't have a data connection. Anyway, it seems like a step in the right direction for Android to eventually finally get similar functionality as iMessage.

Maybe someday it will have interoperability with iMessage? Yeah, yeah...I know...I'm dreaming!

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Not bad news at all.. I turned it off as well.. I use Verizon messaging + and it has a feature that reads inbound texts.. really handy to me and I am not willing to give it up for what RCS offers..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks for the report. It sounds like the app/system needs some refinement. It's good that it has that "Resend messages if undelivered" setting, but it needs some work so it will resend quicker than 5 minutes if the recipient doesn't have a data connection.
    Keep in mind that cv91913 is using the T-Mobile network for these tests. My tests are a bit different using the Verizon network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Keep in mind that cv91913 is using the T-Mobile network for these tests. My tests are a bit different using the Verizon network.
    Not exactly. I am using both a T-mobile AND an AT&T sim. The tests are across multiple carriers. The only TF sim I have that is not working is the Verizon sim in my TF branded J7 Sky Pro. It seems to be working only on my BYOP phones. I have 3 of those, 2 AT&T and 1 T-mobile.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Much like the GV change (for Voice over data/wifi), Google is taking it's time enabling on all accounts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Not exactly. I am using both a T-mobile AND an AT&T sim. The tests are across multiple carriers.
    I was going by the screenshot you posted on Turk showing T-Mo. Interesting you can use it across carriers.

Feedback Score
    That screenshot was actually taken on the AT&T phone. The conversation was with a T-mobile phone. Yes, I was surprised that it worked across carriers.

Feedback Score
    I have an unlocked multi carrrier LG Stylo 4. When I SIM swap, and put the card from my TF Fiesta 2 (verizon) into the Stylo, there is RCS. But, in the Fiesta 2 , the phone says 'verifying number'. When I put in the SIM from Mint mobile (T-mobile) into the Stylo, the phone says, "Chat features unavailable with this device."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast