Thread: 9.0 Pie update

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score

9.0 Pie update

I'm ready to buy a Moto G6 Play that has 8.0 out of the box, but the 9.0 update is available. Is there a way I can keep the phone on 8.0, or will the phone eventually force the update?

Thanks for any input

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It will force the update eventually. Your only choice is to root and install a custom ROM based on 8.0, if there is one. It will void the warranty, though.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    It will force the update eventually.
    Thanks for the info. Sucks that an update that moves a perfectly functioning phone backwards in many areas is forced. (Sluggish performance, reduced battery life, location needed for more apps to function, auto brightness ruined, Excellent Dolby Audio app reduced to bare bones, etc . . .) Google should just let the user decide for him or her self whether or not to apply the update.

The same reason I'm keeping my 05 Corolla. All that intervention is not needed to keep this baby rolling along & still averaging well over 40 MPG.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Thanks for the info. Sucks that an update that moves a perfectly functioning phone backwards in many areas is forced. Google should just let the user decide for him or her self whether or not to apply the update.

The same reason I'm keeping my 05 Corolla. All that government intervention is not needed to keep this baby rolling along & still averaging well over 40 MPG.
    Don't blame Google, blame LG for not properly testing it. I have zero issues with Pie on my Huawei.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    Don't blame Google, blame LG for not properly testing it. I have zero issues with Pie on my Huawei.

So I should blame Motorola? Who has final say over forcing the update?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So I should blame Motorola? Who has final say over forcing the update?
    Sorry, I meant Motorola, not LG. Each manufacturer ultimately decides to push the update. But some don't test properly.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that eventually application developers only update those applications to the most current Android OS and without a current OS those applications could suddenly stop working. Another benefit of the later update is that some security issues of an older version will be addressed with the update. It is like insisting on still using Windows 95 on your home computer and expect all software/hardware to operate flawlessly despite new advances in the technology.

"We are Borg, resistance is futile"
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    My Moto E4 & LG G6 have the option to disable Automatic System Updates. The Moto G6 should as well. Just enable Developer Options and untick the System Updates.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1968 View Post
    My Moto E4 & LG G6 have the option to disable Automatic System Updates. The Moto G6 should as well. Just enable Developer Options and untick the System Updates.
    Thanks, do you know if that would that prevent security updates as well? also wondering if would void any warranties?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Applications from anybody except the manufacturer would not be covered by any manufacturer warranty .

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thanks, do you know if that would that prevent security updates as well? also wondering if would void any warranties?
    Probably would prevent security updates, but they would be for Pie which you don't want anyway. I don't believe it will void the warranty since the option is built into android. You can always turn off the developer options too.

Feedback Score
    Got the Pie update to my Moto G6 today. I've been with Tracfone for over 10 years and this is the first time I've gotten an update to an Android version. So far so good.

Feedback Score
    I am also updating my phone to Pie since 3 days ago, and it works flawlessly until today.

Feedback Score
    There's a 40-page thread on the Lenovo/Motorola forum on the Pie update problems with the G6. I can't tell whether this affects every G6, or just a few. And it's not clear that Motorola is doing anything at all to find a fix. I really don't know what to do. I've turned on Developer Options, and turned off system updates there, but I don't know if that will really keep me on Oreo, or whether Motorola will eventually force the update. I bought this phone directly from Motorola at a no-activation price, so I'm really disappointed with this mess, and may ask them to take the phone back. But on Android 8, it still works fine.

Some say doing a full factory reset from Recovery Mode will fix it, but others say it doesn't, or only for a few days before the problems return. What we really need is something other than silence from Motorola about this.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G6...t/true/page/41