Thread: Prepaid setup saga and questions for going forward

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Prepaid setup saga and questions for going forward

Howdy!

So, I’ve been an ATT&T prepaid customer since February. Just this week, I made a plan change and added my wife as a multi-line, but based upon how things went with that process, I’ve got some questions.

First, the background. I started a new service with AT&T in February on the 8GB plan. I had an AT&T service through my old company, which I left in February, so I was familiar with their coverage and wanted to stick with them for now. I was on the 8GB plan for 3 months using autopay to get a promo $50 gift card offer they had at the time I signed up. After I got the GC, I dropped down to the 1GB plan, still on autopay. I’ve been on that for 2 (maybe 3?) months. Each month, I’ve ran out of data before the end of the cycle.

At the same time, my wife was on MetroPCS’s 2GB plan, and has been for almost 2 years now. Occasionally she would run out of data, but more frequently we found that she did not have service (in the same places I did have service on AT&T). So, I started looking at options.

I wanted to move her to AT&T as a line on my account and put us both on the 8GB plan, which after discounts + taxes would end up being $75.60/month. We were currently paying $30 metro + $30 AT&T + $2.40 AT&T taxes = $62.40/month. Paying an additional $13/month wasn’t ideal in my mind.

At that time, I also read on here about how you could still use pins on an account and still maintain your autopay discount. So, with discounts from callingmart or target, I realized I could get the cost for both of us on the AT&T 8GB plan to under $70/month, which would only be a few dollars higher than what we are paying now, so I went for it.

On Monday, I called the local AT&T corporate store to ask how the process works, and the rep told me I should change my plan to the 8GB in my account page, then come into the store to port in my wife’s number and get it setup. Since I had read on here you could use pins, I put a $75 pin from callingmart in my account first, then changed to the 8GB plan.

I went into the store and they ported the number over and tried to walk me through the multi-line setup process but ran into an issue. I could send an invite to my wife’s number, but in her account, it gave a message that she had joined or created a multiline plan in the last 30 days, please wait and try again. The reps weren’t sure what that meant, but he told me to try again in a few days. He also applied a $10 credit to my account to make up for this month’s lost multi-line discount, so I was OK with how they handled it.

When I got home and was looking at both my account and my wife’s account, I noticed another issue that I hadn’t seen earlier. When I switched to the 8GB plan on my line, it charged me the full $50 even though I had autopay on. So, I decided that I would call customer service then next day to see what happened and see if I could get the multi-line issue resolved.

Tuesday morning I called CS, and was able to get the multi-line issue taken care of easily. The rep did something on his end, had me log into the account for my wife’s line and I now had the option to accept the invitation. So, I believe that part is good now.

For the $50 charge to my account, however, he wasn’t quite as helpful. He claimed he could not offer any sort of credit because it was already billed and paid, even though I tried to ask for a credit for next month like what the AT&T store rep had done. He claimed it wasn’t possible. He also said two different things about the $50 charge. Initially, he said it was because it was because there was a balance on the account from the pin refill I did. I pushed back on that a little and mentioned that people do it all the time with no issues. He then looked at some more stuff and said it was because the charge was done “manually.” I’m not sure what “manually” means, and he couldn’t provide a coherent answer. The only thing I can think is that it is related to me changing the plan, which somehow messed something up?

The silver lining is that when he successfully added my wife’s line to my account, he said it would prorate something and I would get the $10 multi-line discount, which would be in addition to the $10 credit the in-store rep gave. So, I think I’ll come out paying the correct amount for this month after all. I need to sort through all the wierd charges to figure out if this is true, though.

But, the point of all that was to provide enough background to hopefully get input on if I am now set up correctly for smooth sailing in the future.

Current state:
    1) I’m on the 8GB plan and have autopay turned on
    2) I have my wife’s account linked to mine and she shows on the 8GB plan (I no longer see an autopay toggle on her account page)
    3) My account page shows at the top that I am receiving $30/month in discounts (2x$10 for autopay and $10 for multi-line).

Given the above, I think if I do nothing, when the next charge comes due, it will bill my CC for $70 + taxes. What I want to know is if I am OK to load a pin again before the next charge is due to take advantage of a callingmart or target deal and avoid the taxes? If losing the autopay was due to the pin, then I would be better to not use one as the autopay discount is bigger than what I would save on taxes + pin sale. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Bump, any input?

Feedback Score
    Should be fine to load PINs any time. You won't lose auto-pay. The main line needs to have auto-pay enabled. The other lines don't matter because they are not paying. I set up 5 new lines and combined them all. Prior to combining them, they all had auto-pay enabled. After combining, only the paying line has auto-pay, the other lines don't have auto-pay enabled because they are not paying anything. I get the full auto-pay and group discount as expected.

Keep in mind PINs under $100 expire in 90 days if not used, so plan ahead to make sure you will use that balance up within 90 days or wait until that happens before applying the pin. You don't want a huge credit balance on your account that may expire. No harm in keeping the PINs until you need them.