Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile service over Sprint towers?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryb1 View Post
    - Most of the time T-Mobile is great, but in rural areas I get AT&T and only a small amount of data allotted.
    The biggest difference where this network will shine is in urban areas and some suburbs where both assets can be used to shore up the network during peak times when data usage is the heaviest. In rural areas, it's mainly AT&T or Verizon Wireless. I would wager that Sprint has slightly less network coverage in rural areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Don’t know why people are so worried about roaming on Sprint. The faster Sprint is completely refarmed the better. The faster America sunsets Sprint’s Spectrum to be refarmed into T-Mobile the faster T-Mobile starts to compete with AT&T and Verizon.
    I was under the impression that this was the whole point of the merger. I thought they wanted to get all sprints users onto T-Mobile network then use sprints remaining assets (spectrum/towers) not lost to the merger and turn that into a 5G network. Effectively creating a 5G network on top of the 4G network.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint failed with the merger of Nextel where they tried to run to separate networks over time. T-Mobile was very successful in migration from Metro PCS to T-Mobile That quickly shutdown Metro PCS. In Florida Metro PCS was better than any other network in terms or towers and service. Had T-Mobile tried to run Two Network it would have failed like Nextel and Sprint. Sprint Networks must be sunset as fast as possible without putting T-Mobile customers on that obsolete CDMA Network if T-Mobile ever wants to complete with AT&T.

The faster that T-Mobile shuts down the entire Sprint Network and refarms their spectrum the fastest that the New T-Mobile has a better service than AT&T in the future. Anything that slowed up or cost any money to access to the Sprint Network by T-Mobile customers is a total waste of time and money plus a step backward for T-Mobile over time. T-Mobile needs to focus on the big picture of beating the Death Star and doing everything in their power to destroy AT&T as #2.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    The biggest difference where this network will shine is in urban areas and some suburbs where both assets can be used to shore up the network during peak times when data usage is the heaviest. In rural areas, it's mainly AT&T or Verizon Wireless. I would wager that Sprint has slightly less network coverage in rural areas.
    With all respect. The 600 MHz that T-Mobile is trying to deploy is the first real ability for spectrum that has the ability to cover rural spectrum. The tiny bandwidth of the 5x5 MHz of Band 12 was nothing but a bandaid where T-Mobile didn’t come close to nation wide ownership of B12. When T-Mobile has completely deployed all of their 600 MHz nation wide will be the first opportunity for T-Mobile to cover rural coverage. However T-Mobile with the extra Sprint Spectrum will be the most robust 5GNR Network Nationwide.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With all respect. The 600 MHz that T-Mobile is trying to deploy is the first real ability for spectrum that has the ability to cover rural spectrum. The tiny bandwidth of the 5x5 MHz of Band 12 was nothing but a bandaid where T-Mobile didn’t come close to nation wide ownership of B12. When T-Mobile has completely deployed all of their 600 MHz nation wide will be the first opportunity for T-Mobile to cover rural coverage. However T-Mobile with the extra Sprint Spectrum will be the most robust 5GNR Network Nationwide.
    I do agree that it will be very interesting to see what T-Mo nationwide 5GNR network will look like with the extra sprint spectrum I’m not sure how much it will differ from AT&T’s network. With the 700 MHz they obtained for FirstNet and they fact that they are essentially getting paid by the Government to roll it out along with the already robust spectrum holdings they already have, I think they will have a very robust nation wide network as well.

Their is no denying though that with the added sprint spectrum T-Mo really has a chance at giving AT&T and Verizon a run for their money. Verizon on the other hand is really going to be relying on Dynamic spectrum sharing since they have all their eggs in the MM wave basket so they will likely have some difficulty getting a nationwide network outside of big cities where they already have tons of fiber and small cells.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I do agree that it will be very interesting to see what T-Mo nationwide 5GNR network will look like with the extra sprint spectrum I’m not sure how much it will differ from AT&T’s network. With the 700 MHz they obtained for FirstNet and they fact that they are essentially getting paid by the Government to roll it out along with the already robust spectrum holdings they already have, I think they will have a very robust nation wide network as well.

Their is no denying though that with the added sprint spectrum T-Mo really has a chance at giving AT&T and Verizon a run for their money. Verizon on the other hand is really going to be relying on Dynamic spectrum sharing since they have all their eggs in the MM wave basket so they will likely have some difficulty getting a nationwide network outside of big cities where they already have tons of fiber and small cells.
    All carriers are going to rely heavily on DSS. Getting people to upgrade to a 5G compatible phone is going to be a hurdle since phones nowadays are so good at pretty much everything. Gives very little incentive for the consumer to upgrade. The days of carriers splitting their spectrum holdings into this G and that G are over. DSS is going to adapt to the usage in the respective areas hence giving carriers the most bang per buck for their spectrum holdings.

Feedback Score

T-Mobile service over Sprint towers?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I was under the impression that this was the whole point of the merger. I thought they wanted to get all sprints users onto T-Mobile network then use sprints remaining assets (spectrum/towers) not lost to the merger and turn that into a 5G network. Effectively creating a 5G network on top of the 4G network.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    As far as I can say no one knows exactly what the integration strategy will be. Some say only selective Sprint towers will remain. Some other people say both networks will run together and be available to both companies subscribers. Others say we will see the Sprint Network get torn down as fast as it can be. Others see Dish getting the Sprint Network.

I think it will be very much case by case who has the better cell cites, phased migration of subscribers etc...And to @Shilohcane’s point if they over-complicate it we might risk a repeat of the Nextel fiasco...

But there are a couple Sprint sites, especially in rural areas that should be used for T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by techfranz; 08-01-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What will T-Mobile do with unused Sprint spectrum? Like here in Mendocino County, where Sprint never built out, will they sell it off, or use it for their existing network? We have AT&T, VZ, TMO and USCC.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Sprint failed with the merger of Nextel where they tried to run to separate networks over time. ....
    IMHO, T-Mobile's big historical failure was an unwillingness to acquire cellular carriers/licenses, preferring to stick with mid-band licenses. It may have had to do with the requirement to maintain analog compatibility and the complexities that implied. It wasn't until well after the FCC dropped that requirement that T-Mobile acquired Metro PCS and their single 850 MHz license. I don't believe that it's mere coincidence that T-Mobile's explosive growth occurred contemporaneous with their deployment of low-band service.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    What will T-Mobile do with unused Sprint spectrum? Like here in Mendocino County, where Sprint never built out, will they sell it off, or use it for their existing network? We have AT&T, VZ, TMO and USCC.
    Except for the 800 MHz spectrum that they're selling to Dish, it doesn't appear that they're selling anything else. In your area, since there isn't a Sprint build out, they can simply add Sprint's spectrum to the T-Mobile towers that are there as they need it to increase capacity. Sprint's band 25 is a superset of T-Mobile's band 2, so much of that spectrum can be put to use in your area right away on existing towers.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just like many other places... I suspect it will (eventually) be put to use. It's 2.5GHz bands will require physical buildout, and except for actual communities, probably not happening. PCS.. the quicker the cutover the better, but I suspect that it can take quite some time, as its existing base and prepaid still have to have 'something' until Dish build is active.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Just like many other places... I suspect it will (eventually) be put to use. It's 2.5GHz bands will require physical buildout, and except for actual communities, probably not happening. PCS.. the quicker the cutover the better, but I suspect that it can take quite some time, as its existing base and prepaid still have to have 'something' until Dish build is active.
    Good thoughts, thanks! AT&T actually has some 2.3 WCS up here, Band 30, not 2.5 of course, but close

Feedback Score
    TMobile will put it to use

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    TMobile will put it to use

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    That'd definitely be the best choice, who knows how long it'll take for Dish to build out, especially in our area.

Feedback Score
    Where in the wireless spectrum did the Nextel PTT network operate?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast