Thread: T Mobile Warning: Pay Go - Predatory Billing

Feedback Score

T Mobile Warning: Pay Go - Predatory Billing

T Mobile Warning Pay Go Predatory Billing Practices

I bought a Samsung J3 Star to use for emergencies if my regular smartphone malfunctions.
    I setup the J3 to work on T Mobile Pay Go $3 / month for 30 calls/minutes or 30 texts.
    10 cents a minute or text thereafter.

After a few days I got a text saying I had used up 80% of my first month's allotment.
    WTF?

I called T Mobile and found out that if you call T Mobile on your smartphone for help with your account or phone, you are billed for the minutes of the call.

I explained to the Customer Service Rep that the sales people in the store did not tell me that.
    The Customer Service Rep said he would give me a one-time credit back, which he did.

I asked him how can I get help with my account or phone without being charged for asking for help?
    He told me to use the landline or my computer on the internet.

WiFi calls with your smartphone on Pay Go are billed like regular calls.
    Asking a Customer Service rep to apply a payment for you incurs a $5 fee.

These are predatory billing practices.

Pay Go for emergency use is still okay, but if you need a prepaid for low utilization,
    Tracfone makes much better sense financially.

So you are warned.

For help with Pay Go use your pc on the internet
    or you can call T Mobile on a landline (877-778-2106) for anything other than applying a payment.

If you use your smartphone to contact T Mobile on Pay Go or ask a T Mobile Rep to apply a payment for you,
    you will pay for the privilege of talking to them.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    When you called T-Mobile for help did you use 611 or some other number. T-Mobile has never charged for calls to 611. I'd be very surprised and annoyed if that changed.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    I have a prepaid line on a grandfathered plan and just did a test call to 611 and my balance did not decrease. Granted I'm not on the $3/month plan, but I am curious as to which number you were calling when it used your minutes.

I'm also curious if this because this plan is supposed to be run now by Ultra Mobile (as mentioned in another thread.)

I also haven't heard of the $5 fee for payments. Did they say if there was a way to make this payment through an automated system and avoid the fee?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

T Mobile Warning: Pay Go - Predatory Billing

Get a free plan from freeup mobile for emergency backup

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I have a prepaid line on a grandfathered plan and just did a test call to 611 and my balance did not decrease. Granted I'm not on the $3/month plan
    So in other words, what you're saying is "I'm not on your plan and can offer no actual facts regarding your situation".

Feedback Score
    I called on 611 and the representative told me that regardless of whether I called 611 *729 or *233 I would be charged for airtime for the call.

When I started to call *233 and asked for a representative, a recorded announcement told me that if I asked for a representative's help to credit a payment, I would be charged $5.00

Feedback Score
    I had heard about the switch to Ultra Mobile, but all of the representatives and automated voices said T Mobile.
    None of them told me to switch to or call Ultra Mobile.
    When I was in the store setting up, no one mentioned Ultra Mobile at all.

The representative told me to use my pc or landline to access the automated system to credit payments without incurring the fee.
    The automated recording mentioned the fee if I ask a representative to help me make the payment.

Feedback Score
    As the late, great Ron Popeil used to say, "But wait! There's more!"

I sent a few text messages today and some of them were long.
    I checked my balance and discovered that if the text message was long, I got charged for 2 or 3 text messages.

I called customer service on a landline (877-778-2106).
    The very nice rep told me that it is not supposed to work that way and gave me credit for the overcharges.

I asked him how to avoid this in the future.
    He said he did not know.

So if you check your online account and see multiple charges for sms to the same number one after another and you only made one text message, then you are being over charged for a long message. Call them from your landline and request credit.

HTH

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Text Messages have always been limited to 160 characters (including spaces) before it is broken into multiple messages. Read this article: https://www.textanywhere.net/faq/is-...message-length. This is nothing new and has been this way since I first started working for Cingular Wireless back in 2001 when only pagers were used to send/rcv text messages and was not available on cell phones.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    It all depends on how the carrier wants to bill the service.

The rep I spoke to said they do not bill extra for long messages.

It is possible that he was wrong and gave me a credit erroneously.
    Or it is possible that he was right and the system is not configured properly and is nicking folks for extra money for long messages.

Since he offered no way to correct for future, it will likely come up again.

When it does, I will see what the next rep says.

It is the uncertainty that I find objectionable.
    Billing policies should be clear for consumers.
    That way you know exactly what you should and should not be paying for.
    When it is unclear, you feel that you are being taken advantage of.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Do you also complain that the gas station doesn't give you free gas to drive there for a fill-up?