Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Sprint Migration plan to move to T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What is the best Sprint Migration plan to move to T-Mobile?

Neville Ray that is T-Mobile's VP/CTO is going to have his hands full migrating the Sprint Customers to T-Mobile's network. This is my quick ideas but I'm way over my head since this is a major project. I'm no longer missing DISH buying Sprint's Band 26 (800Mhz) since T-Mobile can always buy more 600 Mhz spectrum since AT&T and Verizon don't use 600 Mhz.

Sprint's Band 25 (1900MHz): this is a superset of band 2 (meaning that it includes band 2 frequencies plus the additional G block) that we are commonly seeing on other carriers as well. It is deployed in different chunks in different regions, from 5x5 blocks to 15x15 blocks.

Since Sprint's PCS "G" block (max 5x5 Mhz) is total nationwide spectrum (at least in the lower 48 states). I think moving PCS "G" First. Then rest of Sprint's Band 25 spectrum is added slowly as Sprint customers start to migrate so as not to saturate the refarming of that PCS spectrum. Sprint's Band 25 should be moved to T-Mobile as one of the top priorities so that Sprint's customers can all have access to all of T-Mobile's Band 2 spectrum nationwide.

Then I think T-Mobile should start adding unused Sprint's Band 41 just to strengthen T-Mobile's network bandwidth but any B41 that Sprint is still using should stay with only Sprint customers until a large portion of the 45M Sprint customers have moved to TM.

Any Sprint customer phone that supports Band 71 should also get access to T-Mobile's network as soon as possible. In less than one week will start the FCC Band 71 Phase 5 schedule which will really start to open up T-Mobiles B71 Network.

I'm sure someone will have a better plan but that my opinion on the Migration of Sprint customers to T-Mobile network.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am copying and pasting this info from the deal done thread as it is getting lost in there. And this thread can be dedicated to the technical aspects of the migration. First I found this in their June 2018 filing (676 pages total) describing their plan:

In addition, New T-Mobile will rely upon best practices developed during previous technology migrations to allow for the smooth migration of existing T-Mobile and Sprint customers to the new network. New T-Mobile will use the existing T-Mobile network as its anchor, increase network density and coverage with selected Sprint retained sites, deploy 2.5 GHz spectrum on T-Mobile sites, and utilize the full T-Mobile spectrum portfolio on virtually all the Sprint retained sites, as needed. This will enable New T-Mobile to migrate Sprint customers to the existing T-Mobile network within three years without degrading the user experience for LTE, while simultaneously allowing a more rapid introduction of a robust 5G network. The New T-Mobile LTE network will maintain a consistent data throughput level, while avoiding any network congestion, during this more rapid 5G migration than would be possible for either company on a standalone basis.

The transition of T-Mobile customers to New T-Mobile will be simplified because the existing T-Mobile network will be the anchor network for the combined company, allowing T-Mobile’s existing subscriber base immediately to access the New T-Mobile network and enjoy the overall benefits from increased speed, capacity, and footprint in the near term. In a similar fashion, Sprint subscribers with compatible devices will be able rapidly to convert to the New T-Mobile network and, almost immediately, be able to take advantage of the greater network breadth and depth. About one-half of Sprint’s branded customer base, or about 20 million users, have devices that are compatible with T-Mobile’s network and can be integrated into the New T-Mobile network with an over-the-air software update shortly after deal close. Additionally, New T-Mobile will migrate Sprint CDMA voice users to VoLTE (either through a software upgrade or handset replacement promotions). Significantly, the one area of overlapping spectrum holdings—the 1900 MHz PCS band—will allow a seamless integration of Sprint’s existing customers onto T-Mobile’s network. Finally, billing and back office system transitions will occur over time to minimize disruption to distribution, customer care, and operations.

Then I found this article which links to another 341 page filing from September. I haven't had a chance to search the filing yet but the author of the article summarizes what they read below:

Migrating Sprint Customers

In the same filing, T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray also provided some details on how T-Mobile plans to migrate Sprint customers to its network once the merger is approved. Ray said that it will move existing T-Mobile and Sprint customers to a common core network. That will require T-Mobile’s engineering team to bridge the two standalone core networks together.

To do that, they will use a bridge technology called multi-operator core network (MOCN), which basically uses a virtual single core network to route services to the T-Mobile core.

At the same time, T-Mobile engineers will increase the scale of T-Mobile’s core network to handle increased traffic created by the new Sprint customers

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/...dband/2018/09/

That should give you the basic idea of their plans. Certainly if anyone has read any more specifics, please post it in this thread.

It sounds like they have some very exciting plans on how to merge these two networks together. Now if the remaining states will get out of the way, Neville can put his plan into motion.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Jet1000 that "multi-operator core network (MOCN)" sounds a lot like Google Fi technology. Didn't think about Google providing that technology but that should really speed up the migration.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would start off by setting a multi-MNC indicator on Sprint's band-41 network. I guess that's a MOCN? This will allow T-Mobile to mitigate the impact to urban customers of having thousands of new handsets sharing T-Mobile's net. Sprint customers who don't have at least band-12 VoLTE capable phones need a deal on an upgrade. One thing that will be a hang up is the existing band-2 phones won't allow combining Sprint's PSC G-block with T-Mobile's C-block in a single wide-band carrier in places where they hold both (e.g. Chicago).
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Really, MOCN is a high-falutin' term for having T-Mo's network broadcast as both T-Mobile's MNC (Mobile Network Code) and Sprint (LTE)'s MNC, so phones looking for either will see T-Mo as it's home network. (CDMA does not use a MNC, and I seriously doubt there'd be any CDMA moved to T-Mobile sites, even if the software defined radios on them could support it.)

Something that may make it easier for T-Mo, Sprint (as far as I know) has nowhere near fully deployed spectrum, they've had that tendency to spend on spectrum then find out they don't have the money to actually deploy it fully if at all. I would guess for capacity, Sprint may well have enough idle 2.5ghz to add plenty of capacity to T-Mo ahead of time, before they shut down a single mhz of Sprint-side spectrum and start moving anyone over.

Dish' spectrum sure is odd; they REALLY needed that 800mhz "SMR" band 26 they got from Sprint. From what I found online, they previously had two nationwide 20mhz AWS blocks, which sounds find but downstream only; a nationwide 6mhz 700mhz block, but downstream only; and PCS "H" block which allows upstream but is only 5x5mhz. This would be 51mhz of downstream available but only 5mhz up -- ouch! Band 26 apparently is a 7x7mhz so still a bit lopsided, but 12mhz upstream's much better than 5. Getting access to 20,000 old sprint sites will help get things started too...

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    .....Getting access to 20,000 old sprint sites will help get things started too...
    I wonder how long Dish will have from the day T-Mobile declares a site "surplus to requirements" before they have to start paying the rent on it?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I wonder how long Dish will have from the day T-Mobile declares a site "surplus to requirements" before they have to start paying the rent on it?
    Dish has committed to the FCC they will deploy a stand-alone 5G Network that will cover 70% of the US population by June of 2023. Also in the terms below Dish won’t buy Sprint’s 800 MHz Spectrum for three years after The merger.

https://dish.gcs-web.com/news-releas...reless-carrier

A year ago John Legere said that after the merger they would have 110K cell towers. Legere said they would be decommissioning about 25k of the Towers as soon as possible plus add about 50K small cells.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    .... Legere said they would be decommissioning about 25k of the Towers as soon as possible .....
    Right. That's my question. When T-Mobile says, "This tower lease is available if you want it." how many months does Dish have to pick up the lease before T-Mobile just takes down the racks, picks up the shack, rakes up around the site and notifies the tower company they've vacated the site? Dish is going to have to shift gears from talking to acting PDQ.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What is the best Sprint Migration plan to move to T-Mobile?

I think the coolest part is that Dish will lease their 600Mhz to TMo potentially doubling their low band footprint and capacity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Right. That's my question. When T-Mobile says, "This tower lease is available if you want it." how many months does Dish have to pick up the lease before T-Mobile just takes down the racks, picks up the shack, rakes up around the site and notifies the tower company they've vacated the site? Dish is going to have to shift gears from talking to acting PDQ.
    T-Mobile and Sprint mainly has leased towers that they will have to pay until the lease ends. Vacating a tower doesn't stop the payments unless the lease is over. I am sure it is going to take at least six months before enough Sprint/BoostVM and other MVNO customers move to T-Mobile network. In cases where T-Mobile is on the same tower or has another tower close I bet T-Mobile can't give that tower lesdr to DISH fast enough to save money.

Also, since DISH is paying T-Mobile for roaming service, I would expect DISH to try to build out their own spectrum to save giving T-Mobile roaming money.

"The new commitments require DISH to use its spectrum to deploy a nationwide 5G broadband network covering at least 70 percent of the U.S. population by June 14, 2023. If DISH fails to meet its 5G deployment deadlines, DISH will make voluntary contributions to the U.S. Treasury of up to $2.2 billion."

I'm sure that last bold part will make DRNewcomb smile....

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    I think the coolest part is that Dish will lease their 600Mhz to TMo potentially doubling their low band footprint and capacity!

That is great but in most of the county DISH only owns one 5x5 Mhz block of Band 71

However that makes me happy that Dish owns 15x15 Mhz of B71 in my market in the Miami area where T-Mobile owns 15x15 Mhz of B71 already. Just wish they would deploy in north of Dade country. I think it is a issue with one West Palm Beach TV station that may or maynot have moved. Wow DISH owns 20x20 Mhz of B71 in NYC.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Jet1000 that "multi-operator core network (MOCN)" sounds a lot like Google Fi technology.
    Actually AT&T has been using MOCN in its FirstNet deployment as you can read about here.

https://www.rrmediagroup.com/Feature...etails/FID/836

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Band 41 bed to be the backbone of the MOCN

The New T-Mobile
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Actually AT&T has been using MOCN in its FirstNet deployment as you can read about here.

https://www.rrmediagroup.com/Feature...etails/FID/836
    The FirstNet contract has done wonders for AT&T. They are actually putting real effort in the network and it’s amazing. I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon and I’m starting to regret it.

Between the spectrum that both AT&T and the new T-Mobile will own they are going to be serious players in the cellular market. Those spectrum assets are gonna be a game changer. Although mmWave gets you those truly blazing speeds I doubt only a few percent of people in America will actually live or work in a place that has mmWave coverage so IMO Verizon is in a terrible position right now spectrum wise.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast