Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like it's finally a done deal!

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The NEW T-Mobile Website.

The T-Mobile Q2 Earning call is still live now even though it started at 1PM.

John Legere just said the 20,000 Cell Sites they are giving to DISH is mainly sites that the New T-Mobile was going to abandon with the merger. That makes me like that a 20K sound better to me. That is smart since DISH will have to take over the existing contracts and that saves T-Mobile more money by now having to pay for leases on towers they aren't using.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post

Unfortunately, this is a huge loss for consumers, and a failure of the DOJ and FCC to do their jobs.
    Millions of T-Mobile and Sprint users will have better service on a better network because of this. And yes, the DOJ and FCC did their jobs quite well. You're the one who said #4 is the magic number so you should be happy with the DOJ insisting that another #4 be created.

Better service. And more spectrum will now be put into use including Dish's unused spectrum. It's a win-win for everybody.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The remaining states have a rock solid case, because DISH's wireless network is still a pipe dream from a known spectrum squatter. That being said, I doubt the state lawsuits will be successful.

Unfortunately, this is a huge loss for consumers, and a failure of the DOJ and FCC to do their jobs.
    Oh boo hoo... To the Sprint and T-Mobile customers it means much better service and speeds. The New T-Mobile will have the nation's first Nationwide 5G Network that will include rural areas. Also, it means the New T-Mobile will now have home wireless internet service in some areas. What it also means is that AT&T and Verizon will have to end their collusion to fix higher prices to their customers and get to work on their over priced and over rated networks if they still want to be #1 & #2 in the next 10 years.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Once again, opinion stated as fact with no support or logic.

But I will give you credit for consistency, so you got that going for you.

didn't you used to be the major TM critic here under a different user name? I coulda sworn...
    The “gator”? There’s a few of us that have concluded that. It’s the same deluge of statist “I know what’s good for you!” posts.

Sure fits the profile...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Looks like sprint is divesting their entire prepaid brands and band 26 to Dish. One thing I noticed is the wording "until DISH’s 5G network is built out" (so if Dish never builds out 5g... what happens?). I think Charlie made out like a bandit. Now his deadline of next year will be certainly pushed back at least, I guess until he builds out 5g, which might be never

New T-Mobile and DISH Agreements

Agreement to Divest Sprint’s Prepaid Businesses

Nice summary. I had not heard that Virgin and Sprint Prepaid would also be divested and sold to Dish. I had only seen Boost mentioned before.

I doubt T-Mo will miss Sprint 800 MHz much.

Probably not much will happen until the states are dealt with in December or beyond.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post DoJ Approves Merger of Sprint and T-Mobile

[Putting this thread on the front page, with a copy/paste of the DoJ press release...]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday, July 26, 2019

Justice Department Settles with T-Mobile and Sprint in Their Proposed Merger by Requiring a Package of Divestitures to Dish

Divestiture Will Enable DISH’s Entry as a Fourth Nationwide Facilities-Based Wireless Competitor and Expedite Deployment of High-Quality 5G for American Consumers

The Department of Justice announced today that it and the Attorneys General for five states reached a settlement with T-Mobile and Sprint regarding their proposed merger. The settlement requires a substantial divestiture package in order to enable a viable facilities-based competitor to enter the market. Further, the settlement will facilitate the expeditious deployment of multiple high-quality 5G networks for the benefit of American consumers and entrepreneurs.

The Department’s Antitrust Division, along with the offices of five state Attorneys General (Plaintiff States), filed a civil antitrust lawsuit today in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to block the proposed transaction. At the same time, the Department and the Plaintiff States filed a proposed settlement that, if approved by the court, would resolve the Department’s and the Plaintiff States’ competitive concerns. The participating state Attorneys General offices represent Nebraska, Kansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and South Dakota.

Under the terms of the proposed settlement, T-Mobile and Sprint must divest Sprint’s prepaid business, including Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint prepaid, to Dish Network Corp., a Colorado-based satellite television provider. The proposed settlement also provides for the divestiture of certain spectrum assets to Dish. Additionally, T-Mobile and Sprint must make available to Dish at least 20,000 cell sites and hundreds of retail locations. T-Mobile must also provide Dish with robust access to the T-Mobile network for a period of seven years while Dish builds out its own 5G network.

“With this merger and accompanying divestiture, we are expanding output significantly by ensuring that large amounts of currently unused or underused spectrum are made available to American consumers in the form of high quality 5G networks,” said Assistant Attorney General Makan Delrahim of the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division. “Today’s settlement will provide Dish with the assets and transitional services required to become a facilities-based mobile network operator that can provide a full range of mobile wireless services nationwide. I want to thank our state partners for joining us in this settlement.” Delrahim added, “In crafting this remedy, we are also mindful of the significant commitments T-Mobile, Sprint, and Dish have made to the Federal Communications Commission.”

The Department and the Plaintiff States said that, without the divestiture, the proposed acquisition would eliminate competition between two of only four facilities-based suppliers of nationwide mobile wireless services. According to the complaint, T-Mobile and Sprint both operate mobile networks and offer nationwide coverage to consumers, and they are particularly close competitors to each other for the roughly 30% of retail subscribers who purchase prepaid mobile wireless service. The combination of T-Mobile and Sprint would eliminate head-to-head competition between the companies and threaten the benefits that customers have realized from that competition in the form of lower prices and better service.

T-Mobile US Inc. is a Delaware corporation headquartered in Bellevue, Washington. In 2018, T-Mobile posted revenues of more than $43 billion. Deutsche Telekom AG, a German corporation headquartered in Bonn, Germany, is the controlling shareholder of T-Mobile US Inc.

Sprint Corporation is a Delaware corporation headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas. In 2018, its posted revenue was over $32 billion. Sprint is controlled by SoftBank Group Corp., a Japanese Corporation headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.

As required by the Tunney Act, the proposed consent decree, along with the Department’s competitive impact statement, will be published in the Federal Register. Any person may submit written comments concerning the proposed settlement within 60 days of its publication to Scott Scheele, Chief, Telecommunications and Broadband Section, Antitrust Division, U.S. Department of Justice, 450 Fifth Street, N.W., Suite 7000, Washington, D.C. 20530. At the conclusion of the 60-day comment period, the court may enter the final judgment upon a finding that it serves the public interest.

Press Release Number 19-812
    Source: The United States Department of Justice
    Image source: Wikipedia
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    The remaining states have a rock solid case, because DISH's wireless network is still a pipe dream from a known spectrum squatter. That being said, I doubt the state lawsuits will be successful.
    I believe the states are just looking to be troublemakers to extract some concessions - jobs, union jobs, price stability, etc.

That remains to be seen. I don't claim to know.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Nice summary. I had not heard that Virgin and Sprint Prepaid would also be divested and sold to Dish. I had only seen Boost mentioned before.

I doubt T-Mo will miss Sprint 800 MHz much.

Probably not much will happen until the states are dealt with in December or beyond.
    It will be interesting to see what happens with that case -- though I question if it will stretch out to December. I suspect T-Mobile will file a motion to dismiss, both on the claims that the states do not have the standing to sue; also that there will still be four carriers, which damages the core element of the complaint.

At the same time, I'm sure T-Mobile will be reaching out to the various AGs to see what they can do to get them to drop their suits. I know many have thought the lawsuits were something of a "power grab" -- so the states can get various concessions from the merger. I'm guessing T-Mobile will make promises to the AGs in exchange for them dropping the suits, likely things like ensuring high levels of network coverage in the state, speedy rollout of 5G in the state, providing jobs in the state, and promises not to raise prices for some number of years -- done through a signed agreement with penalties if T-Mobile does not follow through on the deals.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The ~9M subs lost might hurt for a year or two, but at T-Mobile’s growth rate they will earn those subs back in time. Don’t forget they did gain about 45M subs.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score

Yep, a huge loss for the consumers. Didn't expect anything different from these corrupt sharks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As a T-mobile customer I can't wait to be able to also use the Sprint network. Any word when, at least, there will be a roaming agreement?

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mob1le View Post
    As a T-mobile customer I can't wait to be able to also use the Sprint network. Any word when, at least, there will be a roaming agreement?
    I doubt that T-Mobile will connect the Sprint network for current customers. Instead, I expect this to be similar to the MetroPCS merger. They'll largely first try to add Sprint's unused spectrum into the current T-Mobile network -- this will largely be Band 41 and will be used to implement 5G. As Sprint customers start switching SIMs/Phones to get onto the T-Mobile network, they'll start limiting the bandwidth used on the Sprint network and moving it over to the T-Mobile network. Eventually, they'll start shutting down the Sprint network in areas where there are no (or few) Sprint customers left, with the spectrum then added to the T-Mobile network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mob1le View Post
    See the article I linked to in post #4 of this thread that describes their plan to make the network available to both carriers' customers.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Spree-Mobile?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    ......(I'm not sure if 14 MHz is all of Sprints 800MHz spectrum or not)
    I think so. 7 up and 7 down.

Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    John Legere just said the 20,000 Cell Sites they are giving to DISH is mainly sites that the New T-Mobile was going to abandon with the merger. ....
    In many cases these will be a set of antennas on and a shack under a tower T-Mobile already shares with Sprint and other carriers. So, they can be viewed as surplus to requirements. I do hope they keep some of Sprint's rural sites around here. Since T-Mobile has been mid-band-only here, Sprint's band-26 sites are pretty well suited for band-71.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    The ~9M subs lost might hurt for a year or two, but at T-Mobile’s growth rate they will earn those subs back in time. .....
    Just MHO but I don't think the loss of ~9M Sprint prepaid customers will hurt at all.

I tried to listen to the stream while eating lunch in a very noisy Cracker Barrel. Can anyone tell me if they said yea or nay to T-Mobile's hosting Dish's licenses on their system?

Unfortunately they seem to take calls only from folks like Goldman-Sachs and The Wall Street Journal, so I didn't hear any pointed questions asking details about what existing customers can expect. Will T-Mobile customers be able to roam Sprint's coverage ITMT?

P.S. One thing I found interesting was the mention of the number of band-71-compatible phones now on T-Mobile. 20-something million.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 07-26-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: P.S.
    Donald Newcomb

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast