Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like it's finally a done deal!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Looks like it's finally a done deal!

Feedback Score
    It looks like a win-win for T-Mobile. They get the spectrum they need from Sprint, the lawsuits have no basis with 4 carriers going forward, and Dish can pretend they are going to create a viable, functioning network. Yay!

Edited to ask:

Does anyone here who doesn't just make s*#t up know how soon we might expect to see some access to the Sprint towers currently operating? I already have TM & VZ on my phone, it will be amazing to be rockin' 3 out of 4 simultaneously.
    Last edited by daleraver; 07-26-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As if the scheduled announcement by the Justice Department isn't enough proof; T-Mobile postponed their quarterly earnings call yesterday and, this morning, have now rescheduled it for 1 pm ET today. It seemed clear yesterday that the earnings call was postponed until after the approval of the merger was announced.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Does anyone here who doesn't just make s*#t up know how soon we might expect to see some access to the Sprint towers currently operating? I already have TM & VZ on my phone, it will be amazing to be rockin' 3 out of 4 simultaneously.
    This article refers to a filing last September and describes their plan to merge the networks:

Migrating Sprint Customers

In the same filing, T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray also provided some details on how T-Mobile plans to migrate Sprint customers to its network once the merger is approved. Ray said that it will move existing T-Mobile and Sprint customers to a common core network. That will require T-Mobile’s engineering team to bridge the two standalone core networks together.

To do that, they will use a bridge technology called multi-operator core network (MOCN), which basically uses a virtual single core network to route services to the T-Mobile core.

At the same time, T-Mobile engineers will increase the scale of T-Mobile’s core network to handle increased traffic created by the new Sprint customers

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/...dband/2018/09/

The article contains a link to "new FCC filings" which brings up a 341 page PDF so it could take awhile to go through to find the info straight from T-Mobile.

But basically it makes it sound like they could put the MOCN on both networks and then the phones would work on the other network's tower.

That would certainly be great.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. Now I think Legere or Ray need to come out and say when T-Mobile customers will actually see coverage benefit as a result of the merger approval. Or, at a minimum, speed up some more 600 buildout.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The DOJ did approve the merger this morning:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/26/6...26-billion-fcc

Although there this, which we all know:

"The merger has one more hurdle to cross before the companies get the all-clear to finalize. Last month, over a dozen state attorneys general filed a multistate lawsuit to block the deal, headed by New York Attorney General Letitia James and California AG Xavier Becerra."

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    It looks like a win-win for T-Mobile. They get the spectrum they need from Sprint, the lawsuits have no basis with 4 carriers going forward, and Dish can pretend they are going to create a viable, functioning network. Yay!

Edited to ask:

That eliminates 97% of the posters on HOFO...

Feedback Score
    Looks like sprint is divesting their entire prepaid brands and band 26 to Dish. One thing I noticed is the wording "until DISH’s 5G network is built out" (so if Dish never builds out 5g... what happens?). I think Charlie made out like a bandit. Now his deadline of next year will be certainly pushed back at least, I guess until he builds out 5g, which might be never

New T-Mobile and DISH Agreements

Agreement to Divest Sprint’s Prepaid Businesses
    Effective upon the successful completion of T-Mobile’s merger with Sprint, the New T-Mobile will be committed to divest Sprint’s entire prepaid businesses including Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile and Sprint-branded prepaid customers (excluding the Assurance brand Lifeline customers and the prepaid wireless customers of Shenandoah Telecommunications Company and Swiftel Communications, Inc.), to DISH for approximately $1.4 billion. These brands serve approximately 9.3 million customers in total.

Agreements Upon Closing of Prepaid Divestiture

Master Services Agreement for Network Access
    With this agreement, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint-branded prepaid customers, as well as new DISH wireless customers, will have full access to the legacy Sprint network and the New T-Mobile network in a phased approach. Access to the New T-Mobile network will be through an MVNO arrangement, as well as through an Infrastructure MNO arrangement enabling roaming in certain areas until DISH’s 5G network is built out.

Transition Services Agreement to Support Prepaid Customers
    The New T-Mobile will offer standard transition services arrangements to DISH for up to three years following the close of the divestiture transaction. The transition services provided by the New T-Mobile will result in the orderly transfer of prepaid customers to DISH and will also ensure the continued and seamless operation of Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint-branded prepaid businesses following transition to DISH’s ownership.

Agreement to Divest Sprint’s 800 MHz Spectrum Licenses to DISH
    DISH has agreed to acquire Sprint’s portfolio of nationwide 800 MHz spectrum for a total value of approximately $3.6 billion in a transaction to be completed, subject to certain additional closing conditions, following an application for FCC approval to be filed three years following the closing of T-Mobile’s merger with Sprint. This will permit the New T-Mobile to continue to serve legacy Sprint customers during network integration, pending later FCC approval of the license transfer. The companies have also entered into an agreement providing the New T-Mobile the option to lease back a portion of the spectrum sold to DISH for an additional two years following closing of the spectrum sale.

Option for DISH to Take Over Decommissioned Cell Sites and Retail Locations
    Following the closing of T-Mobile’s merger with Sprint and subsequent integration into the New T-Mobile, DISH will have the option to take on leases for certain cell sites and retail locations that are decommissioned by the New T-Mobile for five years following the closing of the divestiture transaction, subject to any assignment restrictions.

Agreement to Engage in Negotiations Regarding T-Mobile Leasing DISH’s 600 MHz Spectrum
    The companies have also committed to engage in good faith negotiations regarding the leasing of some or all of DISH’s 600 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Yay!Finally! Band 26 I believe you mean?

Feedback Score
    oops, yes. that was a typo hah
    okay I've read Dish “gets a seven-year wholesale agreement allowing it to sell T-Mobile wireless service under the Dish brands”
    still wonder if thats enough time for Dish to build anything, because it would also require billions.. and based on past history, Charlie doesn't do much with all his assets. whats it been, like a decade of spectrum squatting or thereabouts ?

Feedback Score
    Here's the official DOJ notice of approval which also got five states to agree as well:

Nebraska, Kansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and South Dakota

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...uiring-package

So that's great too.

That's awesome that the only spectrum Dish is getting is B26. Really, I doubt T-Mobile had much plans to use that anyway. Making a quick $3.6 billion by selling that is to their benefit. They'll keep it operating for now while the prepaid customers are on it.

I mean they do lose 9.3 million customers which is probably the only bad news. However, those customers are likely not the highest revenue generators and could be poached from Dish with competitive measures by the Metro brand if need be.

Now they have the remaining states to fight with. But those states aren't going to have much to contend. A new fourth carrier is forming so what are they going to say? I doubt the court is going to side with them against the DOJ and the FCC.

This all looks very promising, but it's not done until it's done. Legere will keep the good fight going.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Now they have the remaining states to fight with. But those states aren't going to have much to contend. A new fourth carrier is forming so what are they going to say? I doubt the court is going to side with them against the DOJ and the FCC.

This all looks very promising, but it's not done until it's done. Legere will keep the good fight going.
    The remaining states have a rock solid case, because DISH's wireless network is still a pipe dream from a known spectrum squatter. That being said, I doubt the state lawsuits will be successful.

Unfortunately, this is a huge loss for consumers, and a failure of the DOJ and FCC to do their jobs.

Feedback Score
    Once again, opinion stated as fact with no support or logic.

But I will give you credit for consistency, so you got that going for you.

didn't you used to be the major TM critic here under a different user name? I coulda sworn...

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    " Under the terms of the proposed settlement, T-Mobile and Sprint must divest Sprint’s prepaid business, including Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint prepaid, to Dish Network Corp., a Colorado-based satellite television provider. The proposed settlement also provides for the divestiture of certain spectrum assets to Dish. Additionally, T-Mobile and Sprint must make available to Dish at least 20,000 cell sites and hundreds of retail locations. T-Mobile must also provide Dish with robust access to the T-Mobile network for a period of seven years while Dish builds out its own 5G network."

Wow the New T-Mobile gave up a lot of Customers to DISH that includes Boost, Virgin, and Sprint Prepaid. Additionally, T-Mobile and Sprint must make available to Dish at least 20,000 cell sites and hundreds of retail locations.

Does anyone know what Spectrum bands T-Mobile/Sprint sold to DISH?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Does anyone know what Spectrum bands T-Mobile/Sprint sold to DISH?
    actually I just found some updated info/details:

Following completion of the merger of Sprint and T-Mobile, DISH will:

Acquire Sprint's prepaid businesses and customers, including Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile and the Sprint-branded prepaid service.
    Acquire 14 MHz of Sprint's nationwide 800 MHz spectrum.
    Access the New T-Mobile network for seven years, including the ability to serve DISH customers seamlessly between T-Mobile's nationwide network and DISH's new independent 5G broadband network

(I'm not sure if 14 MHz is all of Sprints 800MHz spectrum or not)

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast