Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So strange..

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

So strange..

Today at about 5PM i notice my phone wasn't working said SIM 1 provisioned and i couldnt make any calls then at that sametime i got a email saying my bank account password was changed which was also odd.. went to cricket store and got a new sim (i had an older green sim) can someone steal ur sim card to get ur number to get ur online passwords? this has never happened. now i'm paranoid lol.

Feedback Score
    What you describe sounds like SIM swap or SIM hijackers described in this article.

HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF AGAINST A SIM SWAP ATTACK

https://www.wired.com/story/sim-swap...-defend-phone/

Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Without knowing your bank, I would say it's highly possible the thief can steal your identity. Some sites send text/email to your phone for password recovery. If I would you, I'd go and change the bank password immediately and check for any suspicious requests. I am not sure how they transfer your simcard/number.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I called my bank and they said nobody has logged into except me by my ip. but the password was changed so im not sure. then tonight i kept getting locked out of my account with cricket then i looked up the email section and it was the guys email i guess.. i've been told they can get into ur account and then request a new sim card and transfer ur number to it then they pretty much can get all ur passwords because ur bank and social media is all linked to ur number.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They took 500 bucks out of my account today. Bank said THEY NEVER seen this lol its an ACH charge which means they have my account number and routing number usally its fraud by debit card. so they got my sim then got into my bank account.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The crooks get more creative as time goes on. Sorry to hear about the OP's experience.

In cases of fraud like this, banks are very aggressive in resolving such issues and getting the funds returned to the account. From my experience as a formerly, recent CS rep for credit/debit cards with credit unions, it is usually resolved within 7-10 business days but I have personally seen it done much faster.

There is no excuse why it happened, but I am certain it will be resolved.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    The crooks get more creative as time goes on. Sorry to hear about the OP's experience.

In cases of fraud like this, banks are very aggressive in resolving such issues and getting the funds returned to the account. From my experience as a formerly, recent CS rep for credit/debit cards with credit unions, it is usually resolved within 7-10 business days but I have personally seen it done much faster.

Yeah i got the money back within the hour. but now im having to change my number and close my bank account and everything because now they have my account number. i just don't understand how this can even happen specially when i had a PIN on my cricket account. now im afraid and looking over my shoulder from now on.

Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score

I've had a few issues over the past few months all involving debit cards from two different banks. It seems that the protection in the event of any issue isn't nearly as good with debit cards compared with credit cards. It appears, with debit cards, the burden of proof is on the cardholder, where as with credit, a call to master card or whoever will get almost immediate response, and puts the burden of proof on the merchant or whoever accepted the card.

I've also heard others that have had similar issues with debit cards. I'm wondering about cancelling debit and just use credit again. What's your opinion?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Credit cards are more safe and receive a much faster response than debit cards from my experience. Remember that with a credit card, it's the bank's money that is stolen and with a debit card it is your money.

Which do you think they value more ? Not that it should make any difference IMHO.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Also found out today the dude reported a lost/stolen card and it was mailed to him today it wasnt activated yet when i caught he did it. so now they froze my account and sending me a new card. its CRAZY how they can sim swap ur phone and know exactly what banks and credit company you use. i don't get it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Let's be clear, potential corruption of the SIM card has little to nothing to do with your bank account information.

The thief must have got your information from a different source than your phone SIM card itself. I doesn't take much effort in this day and age to steal someone's identity. Identity theft has been exponentially been growing over more than a decade. Ordering a new or replacement credit card or accessing your bank accounts can occur when bank reps are not careful enough in identifying the caller. Sad but true.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Let's be clear, potential corruption of the SIM card has little to nothing to do with your bank account information.

The thief must have got your information from a different source than your phone SIM card itself. I doesn't take much effort in this day and age to steal someone's identity. Identity theft has been exponentially been growing over more than a decade. Ordering a new or replacement credit card or accessing your bank accounts can occur when bank reps are not careful enough in identifying the caller. Sad but true.
    Yeah it was just odd, my sim card quit working and right at that moment is when i got a email saying my bank password has changed thats when i ran to cricket store to get a new sim. and thats when my bank and credit card was hacked that quickly. i just have never experienced this before

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    Yeah it was just odd, my sim card quit working and right at that moment is when i got a email saying my bank password has changed thats when i ran to cricket store to get a new sim. and thats when my bank and credit card was hacked that quickly. i just have never experienced this before
    I hope you don't have any further problems. It's lucky that you were on wifi or it might have been a while before you found out about the bank password compromise. Suggest that you change any other important passwords, and check that your mailing address is correct at Amazon, PayPal etc. ID theft can move fast once they have your phone number.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    I hope you don't have any further problems. It's lucky that you were on wifi or it might have been a while before you found out about the bank password compromise. Suggest that you change any other important passwords, and check that your mailing address is correct at Amazon, PayPal etc. ID theft can move fast once they have your phone number.
    Yeah, i was thinking cricket would email me or something if my sim is changed but i guess im sure they would have if the scammer didn't already put his email in the place mine was. They need a better system for this situation

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Obviously the crook had enough information to convince the rep to access your account. Yes, it sucks. I would ask Cricket to see if any additional safeguards could be added to the account to help secure your account.

Sometimes, the crook submits such requests online without speaking with an actual person as long as they can identify the account holder's information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast