Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone got Advanced Messaging (RCS) to work on their grey market Samsung phone?

Device(s)
    Primary/Corp: Rogers unl. BB 9000 (Telstra 5.0.0.771)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility,
    Feedback Score

Question Has anyone got Advanced Messaging (RCS) to work on their grey market Samsung phone?

I have a Galaxy S9+ (SM-G9650) and with the May 2019 update, I am able to make and receive VoLTE calls and even Video-over-LTE calls, but when using the Samsung Messages app, Advanced Messaging is not working for me. The chat bubbles are teal (not blue or even green) and there's no sent/read receipts or timestamps, either.

I called Bell and spoke with Level 2 tech support and they said because it's a grey market phone, they can't make any guarantees that Advanced Messaging will work or not. They also told me to call Samsung.

I called Samsung and they didn't even know what Advanced Messaging or RCS was. He kept saying, "Are you sure it's not an app that you downloaded from the Google Play Store?" They didn't even have any one I could escalate the call to.

So if anyone has found a magic formula to get Advanced Messaging working on their grey market or any non-Bell Samsung S9+ (or similar) I would love to hear how.

Thanks in advance!
    My Heatware

My HoFo Feedbacks

My Rig:
    i7 930, Zalman 9500AT, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB Corsair Kit, 120GB Vertex + 2TB + 500GB + 250GB, MSI R5770, LG WH08LS20 & BenQ DW1655, Dell 3007WFP-HC, Scythe YD-8V08, Antec 902, PC P&C Quad 750 Red, Win7 Ult. x64

HTPC:
    6000+, GA-MA78GM-S2H, 8GB, V-Rap150+2x250GB, LG HD-DVD/BD-ROM, Antec Solo, OCZ Z650W.

Past Phone Algebra:
    N5190, 6190, 8390, 6610 && x є {Moto V600, SE T637, 6600}, 6230i && x є {LG 2000, T610}, 6131, E50, 6300b, 6233, E51

Feedback Score
    As far as I know Samsung messages does not have RCS texting. What will probably work for you is Google Messages.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.messaging

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brawlysnake66 View Post
    As far as I know Samsung messages does not have RCS texting. What will probably work for you is Google Messages.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.messaging

No, this is wrong. Just go to the Bell website about RCS and you'll see that you need a recent Samsung phone with the default messaging app, i.e. Samsung Messages:

https://support.bell.ca/mobility/rat...g?step=2#step2

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada Talk & Text, 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Feedback Score
    Except that isn't the case. When I was with Rogers up until last week, I had to use Google's Messaging Application to have RCS messaging as the default Samsung one did not have an option for that. This was with a Galaxy S9+. Don't have it anyone because Telus doesn't support it.

Device(s)
    Primary/Corp: Rogers unl. BB 9000 (Telstra 5.0.0.771)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility,
    Feedback Score
    Rogers supports RCS using Google's Messages app and Bell supports RCS using Samsung's Messages app. The two implemented it differently.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brawlysnake66 View Post
    Except that isn't the case. When I was with Rogers up until last week, I had to use Google's Messaging Application to have RCS messaging as the default Samsung one did not have an option for that. This was with a Galaxy S9+. Don't have it anyone because Telus doesn't support it.

Yes, what I said is right. Rogers supports the Google system. Bell supports the Samsung system. @waqqas31 (the OP) is correct.

You are correct, TELUS doesn’t support anything.

If you don’t believe me, just read Samsung’s press announcement for yourself: https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...ng-for-android

‘Samsung Electronics and Google announced they are working together to offer an enhanced smartphone messaging experience ...’

Feedback Score
    I have a Bell galaxy S9, RCS was just working fine. Lately it's been hit or miss, more miss lol
    Can't get it to work. It changes to regular SMS even when I force chat message.

Feedback Score
    I got it to work on my Rogers Samsung S8+ but I had to change my CSC code to BMC. This wiped my phone, but got advanced messaging to work proper.

Use *#272*IMEI number# to change the CSC code.

Feedback Score
    Mine was working for a while. I was on virgin with CSC VMC, but it would only work with bell and virgin customers using a galaxy phone.
    Over the weekend I switched to Bell and kept the CSC VMC, well...RCS no longer works for me. I thought it would since RCS would work between the 2 as they are basically the same.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post

Over the weekend I switched to Bell and kept the CSC VMC, well...RCS no longer works for me. I thought it would since RCS would work between the 2 as they are basically the same.

My Koodo Samsung Galaxy S9 didn't have Wi-Fi Calling or VoLTE when I moved it to TELUS until I did a network code change. You did the same move I did, second tier (Virgin/Koodo) to first tier (Bell/TELUS).

I didn't need to do a CSC change that would have wiped my Samsung Galaxy S9. I just did a network code change from Koodo to TELUS and I didn't lose any data at all.

Feedback Score
    How did you don't not to lose any data?
    I have VoWifi and VoLTE, just no RCS

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How did you don't not to lose any data?
    I have VoWifi and VoLTE, just no RCS

These are the instructions I used to get Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE to work on TELUS with my Koodo Samsung Galaxy S9, except I used TLS (TELUS) to switch from KDO (Koodo):

For unlocked samsung galaxy s9s and s9+ with the ability to change sales codes (mine was not carrier branded):

Be careful with the following steps. A backup is recommended anyway.

1) open the phone app
    2) type in the following:
    *#272*<your phone's imei number>#
    3) select "KDO" on the screen that pops up. (KDO is short for Koodo)
    4) When it asks you about "Network code change" or "Sales code change", select "Network code change" UNLESS you are okay with wiping your phone now.
    5) It will reboot. Give it some time.

Once you're back up and running, you'll find VoLTE enabled in Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks and an option for Wifi calling in Phone > Settings

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Source for above (from the Koodo Community): https://community.koodomobile.com/an...l#post19745612

Feedback Score
    So I you go in this app, Phone info, what does it say now?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    Source for above (from the Koodo Community): https://community.koodomobile.com/an...l#post19745612

Name:  Screenshot_20191021-155813.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  31.6 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So I you go in this app, Phone info, what does it say now?Name:  Screenshot_20191021-155813.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  31.6 KB

I installed that Phone INFO app. This is what it says:Name:  Screenshot_20191021-212411.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  31.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast