Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need your advice for my husband - Switching from ATT to Net 10 with ipHone 7s Plus

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I need your advice for my husband - Switching from ATT to Net 10 with ipHone 7s Plus

My husband is off contract, and with Direct TV disputing CBS and have already removed KRON 4, We want to move to Comcast for the Internet. He wants to keep his iPhone 7 still since it works so good for him.

So obviously, we need to have him get his phone unlocked by ATT First, correct?

Here is the other thing. He has an Apple Watch 3 Cellular. I am assuming he can't link that with Net 10 since he does not support it which is a BAD thing.

So what is the process? Besides ATT, Does Apple have to get the blessing to unlock it or?

Please give me some enlightenment on this subject.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes you would have to go to AT&T‘s website and unlock the phone since it is not under contract anymore and the Apple Watch will not work on net 10. After AT&T approves your unlock request you can enter in a net 10 Sim after you go through the process of registering it and Apple does not have to do anything for the unlock. The Apple Watch you would have to connect to Wi-Fi if you wanted to use data because you cannot activate it on net 10.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    To Unlock your phone go to this link https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Would it really need unlocked to use a NET10 AT&T SIM? Normally that's not required.

Does the watch have cellular or does it use the phone for data?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    an AT&T phone shouldn't need unlocking if you are using an NET10 AT&T sim. if you are going to use it on T mobile then yes, it will need to be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you want to use the phone on a non ATT MVNO you do need to unlock it

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I forgot that you do not have to unlock it for att mvnos but for other carriers like t-mobile and Verizon and sprint and all others you do have to unlock.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear916 View Post
    My husband is off contract, and with Direct TV disputing CBS and have already removed KRON 4, We want to move to Comcast for the Internet. He wants to keep his iPhone 7 still since it works so good for him.

Here is the other thing. He has an Apple Watch 3 Cellular. I am assuming he can't link that with Net 10 since he does not support it which is a BAD thing.
    Is the present AT&T phone service bundled with Direct TV Internet? Have you looked at doing this through Xfinity (Comcast)? They are on the list of Apple Watch supported carriers. The carrier has to be the same for the iPhone and Apple Watch. A consideration is that Xfinity uses Verizon.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers?lob=tv,internet

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Would it really need unlocked to use a NET10 AT&T SIM? Normally that's not required.

Does the watch have cellular or does it use the phone for data?
    Apple Watch can use cellular, WiFi, or piggyback off the phone. Is set up through the iPhone, and has to be the same carrier. Opinion seems to be you can't do this using an MVNO.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207578

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear916 View Post
    ...So obviously, we need to have him get his phone unlocked by ATT First, correct?
    You don't have to unlock an AT&T phone to use it on AT&T, AT&T Prepaid, Cricket, or any of their MVNOs - H2O, Tracfone, etc. But why not unlock it while you can. It may be hard or impossible after terminating the AT&T account.

IIRC, you have something like ten days to perform the unlock after receiving the code.

To perform the unlock you will need to insert a non-AT&T or AT&T MVNO SIM to trigger the unlock dialog. A Tracfone Verizon SIM has worked for me.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Apple Watch can use cellular, WiFi, or piggyback off the phone.
    Well if it's tethered through the phone vs it's on cellular connection provider shouldn't matter.

Then again it's Apple and they do stuff that doesn't make sense.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well if it's tethered through the phone vs it's on cellular connection provider shouldn't matter.
    Not sure how the tethering function works. Bluetooth maybe?
    I later noticed in the Apple Watch setup info that Prepaid accounts are not supported.
    Not sure if these will work at all if not set up on a cellular network.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not sure how the tethering function works. Bluetooth maybe?
    Looked a bit more. Even the cellular models uses BT first, then wifi, with cellular being the lowest priority.

So, even if you have a cellular plan, if you always have the phone and BT or wifi I won't ever use cellular.

So the 3 and 4 versions with cellular work just like the earlier and non cellular version most of the time. Makes sense to not loose functions and I'm sure that prioritization keeps the cost for the cellular addon lower.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So the 3 and 4 versions with cellular work just like the earlier and non cellular version most of the time. Makes sense to not loose functions and I'm sure that prioritization keeps the cost for the cellular addon lower.
    Yes, the cellular add-on is the issue here. Flexible billing on a Postpaid account. There are circumstances where you are out of BT range and have no WiFi.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, the cellular add-on is the issue here. Flexible billing on a Postpaid account. There are circumstances where you are out of BT range and have no WiFi.
    My point was most never/seldom use cellular because it prioritizes the other connections.

So it's not like the device is useless/not usable at all, which was the earlier implication. It's still as functional as the non cellular versions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast