Thread: Need advice on hotspot for international use

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Need advice on hotspot for international use

I will be traveling to Italy (Rome and Sicily) September - October and considering buying a hotspot device to use internet where a Wifi connection may not available. While I currently use Sprint, I would consider another carrier's device/service. I want to use a prepaid service and not get locked in to a contract or continuous monthly plan.

I found this product online: FidgetFidget Router Zing AirCard 771S Sprint 4G LTE WiFi Broadband Hotspot Mobile. Price is $19.99 purchase price without any data plan. I have the cost to use Sprint's hotspot plans for the device.

The device specifications show: Easy to share 4G LTE speeds with up to 10 WiFi devices with this unlocked Aircard 771 WiFi router. Also named Netgear Zing Mobile Hotspot, this 4G device could support 4G LTE band 25, Band 26, band 41 and 3G CDMA 800/850/1900MHz & UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I am trying to minimize the cost and don't want to spend more than $40 for the physical device. I just want to confirm that the device will work without having to tie it to my existing domestic service plan on my cell phones. I am not looking to connect to a specific Italian cellular carrier. I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy 9 plus and an iPhone SE on a Mobile Share Value plan.

Thanks for any and all advice.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    ...The device specifications show: Easy to share 4G LTE speeds with up to 10 WiFi devices with this unlocked Aircard 771 WiFi router. Also named Netgear Zing Mobile Hotspot, this 4G device could support 4G LTE band 25, Band 26, band 41 and 3G CDMA 800/850/1900MHz & UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz.
    https://www.netgear.com/service-prov...#tab-techspecs

AFAIK, LTE bands 25, 26 and 41 are not used in Italy or Europe. The specs I see show that is all the LTE bands it has.

CDMA will be of no use in Italy or Europe.

The specs do show that it will do HSPA/+. That should work for what you can get out of HSPA+. HSPA+ can be quite usable for low to medium speed data.

Overall it doesn't look like a very good device for Europe, or the rest of the world except for Sprint in the US.

I don't think there is much available in the sub-$40 range that has the main Europe LTE bands, 3. 7. 20. I checked my ZTE Velocity ($30). It does not have LTE 3, 7, 20.

I know nothing of how these thing tie in with a Sprint plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Overseas, I usually just use my T-Mobile account and add the $50 for both of our phones. That gives 15GB of LTE data, and 5GB of Hotspot per line.

It's $100, but that also includes unlimited calls/text to those countries as well so for us it's usually worth it.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Overseas, I usually just use my T-Mobile account and add the $50 for both of our phones. That gives 15GB of LTE data, and 5GB of Hotspot per line.

It's $100, but that also includes unlimited calls/text to those countries as well so for us it's usually worth it.
    THANKS! We are going t buy that data pass (we are TM customers) and wondered if we could tether one phone to the one w. the plan. That way would just need to spend $50. The free calls alone makes it worthwhile. Otherwise 25 cents/min
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    THANKS! We are going t buy that data pass (we are TM customers) and wondered if we could tether one phone to the one w. the plan. That way would just need to spend $50. The free calls alone makes it worthwhile. Otherwise 25 cents/min
    You can totally tether the phone, just put the non-pass line in airplane mode and hotspot to the line with a data pass, should work just fine.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    brad(#15) -
    If that didn't work, was going to forward all calls on non-data pass phone to the "data pass" phone. Question - when in "airplane mode", do you have full access to wifi? Eg. Wifi calling in/out? Guess I could test that before leaving. Why not just stay in "regular" mode and set phone for wifi calling only?
    I have never used "airplane mode", even when on plane w. wifi. (I know, bad me.)
    --- Just tested. CAN make wifi calls when in "airplane mode".
    Thanks again.

Feedback Score

I know they give 15gb of data but where do u see that it also gives a hotspot allowance ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    brad(#15) -
    If that didn't work, was going to forward all calls on non-data pass phone to the "data pass" phone. Question - when in "airplane mode", do you have full access to wifi? Eg. Wifi calling in/out? Guess I could test that before leaving. Why not just stay in "regular" mode and set phone for wifi calling only?
    I have never used "airplane mode", even when on plane w. wifi. (I know, bad me.)
    --- Just tested. CAN make wifi calls when in "airplane mode".
    Thanks again.
    Airplane mode just disables the cellular capabilities, you will have full WiFi including WiFi calling.

Quote Originally Posted by boherez View Post
    I know they give 15gb of data but where do u see that it also gives a hotspot allowance ?
    https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-39110

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Airplane mode just disables the cellular capabilities, you will have full WiFi including WiFi calling.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-39110
    That page describes a product called "Global Pass". "Data Pass" seems to be slightly diff. in features.
    I have just contacted TM to have them describe the diff. in features and will have answer tomorrow.
    Global Pass is a monthly recurring feature, BUT, I am assuming you can start/stop it whenever you want.
    Stay tuned.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    From TM:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your case #04471008.

I see someone had added the 30 day pass for the time frame of (8-18-19)-(9-17-19). The pass will start immediate.

You are also able to add the feature through our t-mobile app."Global Pass" is another term to describe our international data passes.

If you have any other questions or concern feel free to reach out.
    Sincerely,

Gerrod F.
    ===

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score

More info

Unless I am missing something, "Global Pass" doesn't offer intl. tethering like "Data Pass" when overseas. Global does offer international calling from the US. We use Google voice for that. Both offer, it appears, international calling for free when overseas.
    ===
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to T-Mobile Care. I would be more than happy to go over the feature details that are included with the data pass recently added. Below I have listed the features that come included with an international data pass and global plus feature. Please advise which feature best fit your request, we’d be more than happy to make the change.

International Roaming Data Pass-$50- 15GB(International data roaming global passes provide an international high-speed data connection and unlimited voice calling for countries listed in the Simple Global Country List. Available in 512MB, 5GB, and 15GB allotments):

High-speed data while roaming outside North America* (choose data allotment below)
    Unlimited $0 calling from Simple Global to Simple Global countries (including the U.S. and Puerto Rico)
    Includes Smartphone Mobile Hotspot access up to data pass allotment.

Global Plus 15 GB feature-$50 (provides extra travelling benefits on top of what you're already getting when you have a Magenta or T-Mobile ONE plan).
    15GB high-speed data while roaming in Simple Global countries
    5GB high-speed, international tethering in Simple Global countries
    5GB high-speed data while roaming in Canada and Mexico
    Unlimited texting and calling at $0.00 per minute in and between 210+ countries and destinations
    Stateside International Talk and Text
    Unlimited 4G LTE Smartphone Mobile Hotspot in the U.S.
    Unlimited HD video streaming (must be activated via T-Mobile app or My T-Mobile) domestic and abroad in 210+ countries and destinations
    Gogo in-flight all flight long (unlimited flights/sessions) Gogo-enabled domestic flights
    Name ID & Voicemail to Text

If you have any further questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to reach out.
    ===
    Both offer tethering - so you can share data with your travel partners.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Unless I am missing something, "Global Pass" doesn't offer intl. tethering like "Data Pass" when overseas. Global does offer international calling from the US. We use Google voice for that. Both offer, it appears, international calling for free when overseas.
    ===
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to T-Mobile Care. I would be more than happy to go over the feature details that are included with the data pass recently added. Below I have listed the features that come included with an international data pass and global plus feature. Please advise which feature best fit your request, we’d be more than happy to make the change.

International Roaming Data Pass-$50- 15GB(International data roaming global passes provide an international high-speed data connection and unlimited voice calling for countries listed in the Simple Global Country List. Available in 512MB, 5GB, and 15GB allotments):

High-speed data while roaming outside North America* (choose data allotment below)
    Unlimited $0 calling from Simple Global to Simple Global countries (including the U.S. and Puerto Rico)
    Includes Smartphone Mobile Hotspot access up to data pass allotment.

Global Plus 15 GB feature-$50 (provides extra travelling benefits on top of what you're already getting when you have a Magenta or T-Mobile ONE plan).
    15GB high-speed data while roaming in Simple Global countries
    5GB high-speed, international tethering in Simple Global countries
    5GB high-speed data while roaming in Canada and Mexico
    Unlimited texting and calling at $0.00 per minute in and between 210+ countries and destinations
    Stateside International Talk and Text
    Unlimited 4G LTE Smartphone Mobile Hotspot in the U.S.
    Unlimited HD video streaming (must be activated via T-Mobile app or My T-Mobile) domestic and abroad in 210+ countries and destinations
    Gogo in-flight all flight long (unlimited flights/sessions) Gogo-enabled domestic flights
    Name ID & Voicemail to Text

If you have any further questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to reach out.
    ===
    Both offer tethering - so you can share data with your travel partners.
    You are way overcomplicating this.

Just add the GlobalPlus 15GB addon at $50 for the month, then remove it when you get back. That is literally all you do.