Thread: Public Picks Up Where Freedom Left Off

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Public Picks Up Where Freedom Left Off

Name:  pm-logo.png
Views: 459
Size:  23.7 KB

iPhone in Canada has the scoop on a new plan from Public Mobile. For $60/month you get the following:

8.5 GB at 3G speed (8 GB + 500 MB with AutoPay)
    2 GB of US Data
    Unlimited Canada / US Talk and Text

It's unclear whether or not the U.S. data is also limited to 3G speeds—it would be a nice additional perk if it wasn't.

Unless I'm mistaken we haven't seen a North American plan this cheap since Freedom Mobile's 2017 Fall Data Event, when that carrier was offering an additional 1 GB of U.S. data with their 8 GB / $50 per month plan. With U.S. carriers offering Canada-wide roaming as a cheap monthly add-on, wouldn't it be great if all Canadian carriers did the reverse?

Source: Public Mobile via iPhone in Canada
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Canadian carriers are too greedy. They want you to pay for the Can/US feature for the few months you actually use it, plus all the months you don't. It's not your money, it's theirs.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    This sounds like a relatively reasonable plan for Canadians that visit the US often.

Are there any reports showing how fast Public Mobile's "3G speeds" are typically?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Are there any reports showing how fast Public Mobile's "3G speeds" are typically?
    3 to 3.5 Mbps on LTE. If you turn off LTE and just use 3G, your speed is not throttled at all — it will be as fast as 3G in your area.
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada Talk & Text, 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    3 to 3.5 Mbps on LTE. If you turn off LTE and just use 3G, your speed is not throttled at all — it will be as fast as 3G in your area.
    Thank you. That's very helpful.

Is there a disadvantage to turning off LTE and just using 3G, assuming 3G in a particular area is faster than 3-3.5 Mbps?

Or is there a reason it would be better to keep LTE on, but throttled to 3-3.5 Mbps?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Public Picks Up Where Freedom Left Off

Thank you. That's very helpful.

Is there a disadvantage to turning off LTE and just using 3G, assuming 3G in a particular area is faster than 3-3.5 Mbps?

Or is there a reason it would be better to keep LTE on, but throttled to 3-3.5 Mbps?
    You’re welcome

Yes, there are disadvantages to turning off LTE:
    • 3G has higher latency than LTE
    • 3G is on fewer bands. I know Chatr is only on 3G bands 2 and 5. I don’t switch my TELUS Samsung Galaxy S9 to 3G, so I’m not familiar with the 3G bands that Public Mobile uses in the GTA. Public Mobile is owned by TELUS. Keeping your phone on LTE (and 3G) will almost certainly give your phone a lot more (LTE and 3G) bands to use, so you’ll get better basement and building penetration, for example.
    • You probably only want higher download speeds for a larger file/video or two. With the paltry data limits on Public Mobile, you’re going to hit your data cap pretty quickly if you download a lot of big files anyway.
    • no more AMBER alerts since those are only over LTE (some will consider that a big advantage )

Supposedly, one advantage of using 3G is that it will save battery power, but I have not tested this.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again!

My goal in asking these questions is to try to find a "reasonable" plan for my daughter and her boyfriend, who live in Canada, but visit the US two to three times monthly. I gave her a FreedomPop phone with no monthly cost that she's been using and has fit her US usage needs well for a while now, but that free plan is finally ending, and we'll have to start paying for her to have service when she visits the US.

They are both currently on the Bell 10GB plan from around Christmas, 2017, which they like, but it's too expensive to use in the US. It started out at $60/mo (~$68 total), but has gone up to $65/mo (~$73 total).

I thought maybe if there was a cheap way to add a 2nd line to the Bell "Bring your own device - Canada & U.S. calling + 20 GB of shareable data $125.00/mo" plan, it might not be too much more expensive than what they are currently paying. But despite how it looked on the Bell website, it turns out that's not how it works!

So now I'm thinking about proposing this Public Mobile $60 plan for at least one of them that includes 8.5 GB (@ 3G Speed) Canada Data + 2 GB (Additional) US Data + Unlimited Talk & Text Canada/US. The big advantage would be having just one phone to keep track of, which is much nicer than the FreedomPop phone she currently uses in the US, that has service that will work in both Canada and the US, including 2GB of US data. The disadvantage would be having only 8.5 GB of LTE to use in Canada (vs 10GB on the Bell plan), and not only that, but throttled to 3 Mbps.

Oh, well. We'll see.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Public Picks Up Where Freedom Left Off

@Boz1:

Have you heard of the Walmart USA AT&T Prepaid 25 GB plan for $40 US with AutoPay and $40 CDN / $24 US if you join a group? You get 8 + 17 bonus GB every month in Canada, the USA and Mexico. It’s full LTE speed and Rogers in Canada. If you don’t use your base 8 GB, it rolls over to the next month so that you have 33 GB to use!

Would that work for them since they frequently go to the USA?

P.S. There is NO minimum US restriction. Canada, the US and Mexico are treated as one big zone with calling, texting and data in those three countries, to those three countries.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    @Boz1:

Have you heard of the Walmart USA AT&T Prepaid 25 GB plan for $40 US with AutoPay and $40 CDN / $24 US if you join a group? You get 8 + 17 bonus GB every month in Canada, the USA and Mexico. It’s full LTE speed and Rogers in Canada. If you don’t use your base 8 GB, it rolls over to the next month so that you have 33 GB to use!

Would that work for them since they frequently go to the USA?

P.S. There is NO minimum US restriction. Canada, the US and Mexico are treated as one big zone with calling, texting and data in those three countries, to those three countries.
    I did not know those details. Do you have any links for that? I'll do some research. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I did not know those details. Do you have any links for that? I'll do some research. Thanks!
    It’s right here in HoFo under “US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion” -> “AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)” -> “New New Wal-Mart Promo? 25GB for $40/mo with Autopay”.

Here’s the AT&T Walmart link:
    https://www.att.com/prepaid/walmart-offer.html

Here’s the RedFlagDeals link:
    https://forums.redflagdeals.com/walm...usage-2291042/

Feedback Score
    There's gotta be restrictions. No way in hell Canadian carriers would charge so little to roam on their networks if they don't want to go so little to allow other themselves roam on each other's networks. And if they do charge so little then it's case closed on the "because Canada is large so that's why we pay more" excuse. Also goes to show that Canadians are in fact getting ripped off and are paying so much to the greedy big 3 and that the CRTC needs to allow non big 3 MVNO'S on the big 3 networks.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk