Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless Adds More Data to Shared Plans

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have had TW for a long time now. About a month ago, I gave my son my old phone and switched him to TW to get a better deal. The port and trying to switch my old number to my new phone was a nightmare, but the service was fine once that ended. Then after a few weeks we switched to Verizon for the double data deal, but I'm thinking now we will go back to TW. Almost the same amount of data but $57 vs $75.

Feedback Score
    You will lose the higher priority of the Verizon plan when the tower gets congested. But that's usually not that bad of a problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    You will lose the higher priority of the Verizon plan when the tower gets congested. But that's usually not that bad of a problem.
    Aren't Verizon MVNOs like Total Wireless and Verizon Prepaid set to the same level of LTE data deprioritization during congestion?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ejlmd View Post
    Aren't Verizon MVNOs like Total Wireless and Verizon Prepaid set to the same level of LTE data deprioritization during congestion?
    Nobody knows for sure.
    That information just isn't released by any of the companies.

TF isn't going to tell people they have a lower priority. Verizon isn't going to tell their prepaid customers that either.

Some have speculated that Verizon prepaid is higher priority than MVMOs.

But among MVNOs the prioritization could differ. Again no concrete info about that either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Nobody knows for sure.
    That information just isn't released by any of the companies.

TF isn't going to tell people they have a lower priority. Verizon isn't going to tell their prepaid customers that either.

Some have speculated that Verizon prepaid is higher priority than MVMOs.

But among MVNOs the prioritization could differ. Again no concrete info about that either.
    I've used Verizon Prepaid in the last year and currently use Total Wireless. If there is any deprioritization, I never noticed it. And if it's not enough for a phone geek like me to catch, the average consumer surely isn't going to notice a difference. That said, I live in a highly visited tourist area that is subject to extreme congestion during certain times of year, and Total Wireless has always been at least usable even during those times.

Feedback Score
    The only time I felt a deprioritisition was when I was boarded in an airplane, at the gate, no airport Wi-Fi, when the airport got the ramps closed due to storms moving in. For the next 30 min, the data was very slow, but SMS and voice where working fine. I guess that everyone in the plane and in the airport started to browse the internet to see the delays and cancelatios.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does the deprioritization affect phone calls or data or both? I'm not a big user of either, although my son and others who would be on my family plan are. What about texting/SMS?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    For the next 30 min, the data was very slow, but SMS and voice where working fine. I guess that everyone in the plane and in the airport started to browse the internet to see the delays and cancelatios.
    I don't know that was de prioritization or just network congestion. Did you see Verizon postpaid specifically getting better performance? (Guess you'd have to know or ask)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kgjulie View Post
    Does the deprioritization affect phone calls or data or both? I'm not a big user of either, although my son and others who would be on my family plan are. What about texting/SMS?
    Cellular calls are regulated as a Title II utility by the FCC, so they receive the highest priority during times of congestion, regardless of whether or not they're initiated through an MNVO or MNO. Texts typically carry along the same channels as voice, so those are effectively Title II as well. Data is typically what is deprioritized depending on who the seller of the network is.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I didn't ask people if they are on postpaid Verizon and how is their data. Maybe we were all in the same situation. Flights got canceled by the bucket...

That's how it goes on East Coast at the end of the day when lighting strikes around a major international airport (Washington Dulles, Philly, NYC).
    They close the ramps for minimum 30 minutes. No luggage handling is happening, nu fueling.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I didn't ask people if they are on postpaid Verizon and how is their data. Maybe we were all in the same situation.
    I only suggest it because I did see severe slowdowns from congestion with Verizon post paid. I think many assume depri with any slowdown and no comparison with the supposed higher priority service.

Not saying it's no prioritization, just that it may bit always be.

Feedback Score
    As a side note, TW website seems to be broken to me. Is that the case?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    How so? Works for me.

Feedback Score
    Hmm. It works now on my cellphone. Could not see anything in my account. I'll try again home, thanks.

Feedback Score
    I get some kind of glitch where if I activate a phone online then my phone shows up in a different family group--even though it's still in the same group. This stops the website from working correctly. Now I just swap SIM's when I need to change devices. Activating a new IMEI is going to be irrelevant in about six months anyway once CDMA is shut down for consumers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast