Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Total Wireless Adds More Data to Shared Plans

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Activating a new IMEI is going to be irrelevant in about six months anyway once CDMA is shut down for consumers.
    It hasn't been technically been needed for any Verizon LTE device which is why SIM swaps work.

But Verizon wants control and they aren't going to give that up. They will continue to require IMEI and whitelist verification.

Feedback Score
    For now it seems to work fine, I did the SIM swap from an iPhone to another one and no issues.

On top of that, Tracfone has their own agenda with locking IMEI to SIM.
    I had used a phone on TotalWireless, take it off the plan (upgraded phone). When I wanted to activate it again on a different TW line, it required me to use the SIM that was in the phone when I de-activated it, didn't like a fresh SIM, luckily I didn't throw it away.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    On top of that, Tracfone has their own agenda with locking IMEI to SIM.
    if that was the case TF would do the same with other carriers, but it's only Verizon. And they still use the extra code for entering in the system.

As for the SIM when reactivating, that's only the online/automated system. It's the same system they use for phones bought from them with a SIM to make it easier it not having to enter the SIM number. It started long before BYOP or even smartphones.

If you call/chat they will change the SIM. I've done it. It wasn't hard, didn't take long, or even require multiple attempts.

Feedback Score
    Well... it worked with the old SIM. I did call previously to replace SIMs on my other TW phones but now I just wanted to do it quickly.
    Don't know why the online tool is different from what the phone techs have, just wanted to say that it is.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Don't know why the online tool is different from what the phone techs have, just wanted to say that it is.
    Keep it simple.

If the IMEI is in system with a SIM, use that SIM.

When I've reactivated the online route there was never an option to enter a new SIM.

And that covers most cases (new phone with included SIM). SIM swapping isn't supported so what else would you have dine with the old SIM.

Besides, when you change the SIM in the old device it deactivates the old SIM.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I currently have cricket with four lines for $100. I am thinking of switching to this deal since Verizon has a much better network in my area than AT&T does. I have some questions though:
    1. Does total wireless offer Wi-Fi calling like cricket does?
    2. Does total wireless offer HD voice
    3. Is hotspot included or do you have to pay more for it?
    4. Can you use your phone in Canada and Mexico?
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score

Total Wireless Adds More Data to Shared Plans

Quote Originally Posted by djjim View Post
    I currently have cricket with four lines for $100. I am thinking of switching to this deal since Verizon has a much better network in my area than AT&T does. I have some questions though:
    Thanks!

As others will be quick to point out, you may want to search further here for the answers because it ISN'T a simple yes or no for all of those questions.

I have a universal, unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9. Wi-fi calling doesn't work for me. However, depending on the phone, it may, or may not, work for you.

Again, it doesn't work for me, BUT it might have to be changed soon because I seem to recall reading that at some point it will have to be allowed.

Hotspot works for me.

I think we are shut out, once we leave the United States.

It sounds like you are basically on the Cricket version of our plan. I have four lines on it. With the increase in data, it will take a bit to get me to "jump ship" right now.

Others may also point out that wifi calling can be accomplished with other apps.

I expect HD voice is coming before years end.

I don't expect any changes to the current hotspot being allowed.

With regards to Canada and Mexico, who knows. If the "churn" rate is high enough, they might just add it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    As others will be quick to point out, you may want to search further here for the answers because it ISN'T a simple yes or no for all of those questions.

I have a universal, unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9. Wi-fi calling doesn't work for me. However, depending on the phone, it may, or may not, work for you.

Again, it doesn't work for me, BUT it might have to be changed soon because I seem to recall reading that at some point it will have to be allowed.

Hotspot works for me.

I think we are shut out, once we leave the United States.

It sounds like you are basically on the Cricket version of our plan. I have four lines on it. With the increase in data, it will take a bit to get me to "jump ship" right now.

Others may also point out that wifi calling can be accomplished with other apps.

I expect HD voice is coming before years end.

I don't expect any changes to the current hotspot being allowed.

With regards to Canada and Mexico, who knows. If the "churn" rate is high enough, they might just add it.
    Thanks for the info! Cricket swears they have HD voice, but it does not sound like HD voice to me. The sound quality is much worse than when I had Verizon postpaid.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    1. No. As far as I know Verizon doesn't allow on MVNOs.

2. Yes, depending on device. Come Jan it's required on Verizon. You already can't activate a device w/o it.

3. Disallowed per ToS. You can't add it. That said, you can use on many phones, but they could cancel service. I've used occasionally for brief periods. Haven't heard of anyone actually being canceled because of it.

4. No service outside USA.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    1. No. As far as I know Verizon doesn't allow on MVNOs.

2. Yes, depending on device. Come Jan it's required on Verizon. You already can't activate a device w/o it.

3. Disallowed per ToS. You can't add it. That said, you can use on many phones, but they could cancel service. I've used occasionally for brief periods. Haven't heard of anyone actually being canceled because of it.

4. No service outside USA.
    Yikes, no hotspot. That sucks. I have an iPhone so it probably won’t work. Ok, well that’s a dealbreaker. I need hotspot for work. Oh well.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yikes, no hotspot. That sucks. I have an iPhone so it probably won’t work. Ok, well that’s a dealbreaker. I need hotspot for work. Oh well.

From the ToS https://www.totalwireless.com/termsandconditions

"any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan."

Only TW Hot Spots specifically allow it.

As I said, you can on some phones (rooted, jailbroken, non-carrier branded, etc) but they could terminate. But they probably won't unless you do it often and a lot of data.

Your iPhone probably would check with the carrier (Verizon) for permission.

If you need it for work, work should be providing it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

"any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan."

As I said, you can on some phones (rooted, jailbroken, non-carrier branded, etc) but they could terminate. But they probably won't unless you do it often and a lot of data.

Work gives us a phone allowance instead.

Feedback Score
    Work gives us a phone allowance instead.
    Then use that to get a full blown plan. Probably it's generous enough...

I did use hotspot on TW occasionally, with my unlocked Android phones, but I never abused it. I don't know if is even enforced, might change now that they lifted the hard cap.

Feedback Score

If it IS allowed, then what's the issue?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If it IS allowed, then what's the issue?
    It's not specifically allowed on the plans, so per the agreement they can terminate service.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3