Thread: Fear Mongering and FaceApp

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Fear Mongering and FaceApp

Name:  faceapp01-screen.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  49.3 KB

You may have noticed that your social media friends and/or favourite celebs have suddenly aged a few decades... it's all thanks to FaceApp. Available for Android and iOS, it uses "advanced neural portrait editing technology" to, among other things, make you look older or younger.

What makes FaceApp different from other photo editing apps is that it's suddenly made us aware of privacy issues that come with sharing our likeness on the Internet.

First, there's the app's terms of service:

“You grant FaceApp a perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully-paid, transferable sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display your User Content and any name, username or likeness provided in connection with your User Content in all media formats and channels now known or later developed, without compensation to you.”
    I've bolded the word "non-exclusive" for a reason; you still own your photos that you upload to FaceApp, just as you do with Facebook, Twitter and any other photo sharing service on the Internet. It would be great if FaceApp could work its magic locally on your device, but it doesn't. So it's not entirely unreasonable for them to require a non-exclusive license to upload your content to their servers—or, more likely, a CDN that they pay for but don't directly control. The rest looks to me like the standard legalese you'd find in the EULA for any social media network.

Perhaps alarm bells are ringing louder than usual due to the unfortunate coincidence that the creators of FaceApp are based in St. Petersburg. So while all the clickbaity headlines like: "Russia now owns your face!" are technically true, in practical terms it's no less of an issue than for a Russian Snapchat user to upload their selfie to that American owned and run service (for example).

If you're asking me for advice I personally would leave such narcissistic behaviour to celebrities, but in this age of influencers I suppose that we're all celebrities to a degree. So in the spirit of sharing and community here's a FaceApp of myself:

Name:  faceapp02-yoda.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  63.9 KB

What a time to be alive!

Links: Fast Company via Vox
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    This was so useless. And if it is not a Russian or Korean people do it we never consider it is suspicious or anything. And I agree with you. What a time to be alive!