Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket introduces Global data only plans from $9/month with 1GB LTE data

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Wow. After that write up, I think I will run the other way. All that trouble and you're in the US. I was wanting to get a SIM to me here in Canada, activate and be able to use it here and then cross down to the US. That would be a nightmare and my Apple store here would not have a SIM. Right now they want $26 to ship to Canada but I have a way around that but what's really stopping me is I cannot register as a Canadian yet. On their registration page you can drop down and enter Canada but the drop down for State does not change to Province. Therefore, without being able to be registered to my Province, my credit card gets rejected for wrong address. I've written them and have a ticket number but I don't expect they'll fix their website.

Would like to see another person sign up hassle free.
    FIDO Network

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anthonysjenning,

Thanks for the information. If I read your post correctly, it sounds like the sim card is activated across the Sprint network in the US (thus the requirement for a Sprint phone). I'll probably order a sim card in early September and activate it with my Sprint iPhone SE (if it will let me). I'll test it in Germany in October and see which network it connects with and how well it works. Thanks!

Eric

Feedback Score
    I think it's likely to be Vodafone for Germany, if the SIM is associated with Sprint's international partners. See here: https://www.sprint.com/en/support/so...-partners.html

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    So how is the performance in the US? Full speed LTE or throttled?

A speed test would be helpful.

Thanks again

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Could anyone recommend a good standalone hotspot device for this service or is it best to use a handset with a hotspot feature?

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    Could anyone recommend a good standalone hotspot device for this service or is it best to use a handset with a hotspot feature?
    If your intention it to use this service internationally, use a phone with hotspot feature and good LTE band support (most flagship phones support the LTE bands commonly used worldwide).

Most standalone hotspots only have LTE bands for the country where you buy them, e.g. an unlocked AT&T or T-Mobile hotspot likely wouldn't have LTE support in Europe (and perhaps not 3G either).

Red Pocket actually sells a Globetrotter Hotspot for use with this service. A little digging shows that it's a Franklin Wireless R910. The manual for it is here, and according to the specs on pages 45-46, it includes support for:
    LTE bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 25, 26
    3G (GSM/UMTS/W-CDMA) bands: 1 (2100), 2 (1900), 5 (850), 8 (900)

It's missing LTE bands 3, 7 and 20 (among many other bands used globally), which right off the bat means you won't get LTE in Europe, and it will fall back to 3G (which it has near global support for).

In short, even the hotspot they sell for use with this service won't get you LTE in Europe and elsewhere. Use a phone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice on dedicated phone for hotspot. Would battery life of a moto e4bin hotspot mode be about the same as the Franklin, and would the Franklin work in japan, taiwan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    Thanks for the advice on dedicated phone for hotspot. Would battery life of a moto e4bin hotspot mode be about the same as the Franklin, and would the Franklin work in japan, taiwan?
    I have no idea what the battery life per charge would be for an E4 in hotspot mode, but external USB battery packs are pretty cheap. I got some good ones on clearance for $2.50 each, but you can usually find USB battery packs that will work well for $20 or less on sale.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4, ZTE Z232, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Other alternative on a mifi device would be Skyroam or glocalme. Both have 3g and LTE devices and different pay as you go or monthly options.
    Have Skyroam in a refurb 3g mifi device. It's a cloud sim device and worked successfully in Canada and Bermuda. More in favor of just turn it on service like these 2 vendors.

Sent from my S90 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Anthonysjenning,

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like the sim card is activated across the Sprint network in the US (thus the requirement for a Sprint phone).

Eric
    That's correct, this Red Pocket product runs on the Sprint network. Sometimes when I'm in a fringe area for Sprint, it switches to 1xRTT, which suprised me, and sometimes the network name briefly flashes "Red Pocket" before displaying "Sprint."

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    So how is the performance in the US? Full speed LTE or throttled?

A speed test would be helpful.

HoFo mobile app
    I don't have a screen grab, but on fast.com, LTE speeds for close-in Washington, DC burbs was between 10-15Mbps down. In my experience having used Sprint MVNO's, that's about what I expected. Although speed from Tello/Sprint is consistently a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    anthonysjenning, thank you for testing and reporting!

Will you be trying to find out if/how you can switch between the Explorer and Jetsetter plans?
    I hadn't planned on testing switching, as the country I plan to visit later this month falls squarely within the Explorer option. I imagine switching would be a nightmare, or impossible. In the past when I wanted to change plans on Red Pocket but keep the same network, Support consistently told me I had to start a new line and a new account.

Feedback Score
    One last check-in on this.

So I used up the first 1gb of data the other day. It literally cut off at 0mb left, not even the least little bit of free overage/spillage. :-)

I logged in to my account and it said in a prominent red banner "CLOSED ACCOUNT." I reloaded a few times and it finally showed it was just a regular account with all of the data depleted. I assumed based on the promotional/purchase page for this plan that it would automatically add an additional 1gb for $8. A LiveChat with customer service confirmed that. However, their Help page for this plan states clearly one would have to log in and manually add additional data.

Trouble is, when I would log in, it only offered me to add 250mb of data, add talk/text, or add international long distance. All of which were wrong because it should have only offered 1gb of data, and absolutely not talk/text or international long distance since this is a data-only plan.

LiveChat couldn't resolve it in the 30 minutes I had the chat window open so I told them I'd start this up again later.

Fast forward two days to today and I log in again. It says again "CLOSED ACCOUNT" and consistently says that after multiple page refreshes and logging in and out again several times. LiveChat says their systems are down and to try again in two hours.

So that's going to be a no for me. I'm done. As soon as I hit reply on this post, I'm canceling the generated credit card I made for this and moving on. I'm so glad I didn't leave the country depending on this and trying to resolve with no mobile data access.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Try the Skyroam or glocalme WiFi hotspots I mentioned above as an alternative? I have a refurb 3g skyroam hotspot that I use with day passes. Amazon has them for fifty bucks plus a 20% off online coupon to bring it down to forty with free shipping. They also have skyroam LTE devices but it's $150 for the Solis and $180 for the Solis x (I could provide a discount code but would suggest just doing the 3g model if you don't need LTE speeds...you can always upgrade).

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    I suspect most people following this thread are interested in the SIM for data while traveling (or maybe it's just me). If Skyroam offered a SIM they'd definitely be comparable given that they offer global data at $9/GB.

I realize Red Pocket is also offering a hotspot so it is relevant, and I will say this at regarding Skyroam: unlike many hotspots, at least their Solis hotspot supports a core selection of LTE bands that should get you an LTE connection in most countries. That and the $9/GB price makes it perhaps a better option than the Red Pocket hotspot if one needs a global hotspot.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Skyroam uses virtual "cloud" sims. The 3g+ model I have has no sim card behind the battery. Glocalme I think is a similar arrangement. Main attraction to me is just load some day passes and turn it on and connect to whatever I want by WiFi. I use mifi devices both domestically and abroad.
    There are international data sim cards...gigsky, koko, google fi, etc. That would be closest to the redpocket sim. But I suspect these need an APN to be set up on the phone (which might be easy). However a sim card would be the lightest solution using an existing unlocked phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I am looking for a SIM for data only service for my iPhone. Not interested in a hotspot. I cannot order from Red Pocket as I cannot change and input my Province into my profile on their website. This prevents me from using my credit card as the address does not match that listed on my card. 2 weeks ago I got a ticket number. This means only Americans can buy online. Wish they took paypal but this is no longet a problem as I'm no longer interested. I'll stick with my old back up of ATT

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast