Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket introduces Global data only plans from $9/month with 1GB LTE data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momo1tx View Post
    Take this with an ENORMOUS grain of salt, as everyone knows Customer Service reps often don't know what they are talking about, but I asked two different Red Pocket customer service people specifically about using a Sprint-compatible (i.e. able to be activated on Sprint--in this case an unlocked Moto E4 Plus which passes Sprints IMEI check) phone if it could be used on the Global Data plan. After submitting my IMEI, both reps on separate occasions claimed that yes, it could. My suspicion is that any Sprint-eligible device that also supports GSM might be eligible for this plan, as I also suspect when Red Pocket acquired FreedomPop it also acquired the global SIM functionality that FreedomPop eventually discarded...just a wild guess of course. The only real way to tell of course is to buy one and try and be prepared for disappointment, and have a backup. I'm traveling internationally in Sept and I'm tempted just to try and see if this will work for a $15 experiment :-) ...
    That's definitely good news if it works out that way!

I had previously wondered if this new product could be somehow related to the FP acquisition, but on second thought, since I now know it's on Sprint and not a GSM network, I'm not as sure. But it's still a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Well, that's interesting, and actually not a bad deal at all.

The link is https://www.redpocket.com/global.

I wonder if that's a new feature that came with the acquisition of FreedomPop, or if it was in the works before.

Anyway, it's a good thing, and even better, unused data rolls over as long as the plan is active!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    That an interesting theory. First thing I thought about was whether this plan was somehow related to the acquisition of Freedompop business.

We need pioneers that don't mind the arrows in the back!

I wonder if my Umidigi F1 dual sim phone would work. It's got Sprint LTE bands but I haven't been able to test it as I don't have any Sprint Service.
    I doubt if the Umidigi F1 could work, since there is no "SIM swap" like for the Vzw network with Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momo1tx View Post
    Take this with an ENORMOUS grain of salt, as everyone knows Customer Service reps often don't know what they are talking about, but I asked two different Red Pocket customer service people specifically about using a Sprint-compatible (i.e. able to be activated on Sprint--in this case an unlocked Moto E4 Plus which passes Sprints IMEI check) phone if it could be used on the Global Data plan. After submitting my IMEI, both reps on separate occasions claimed that yes, it could. My suspicion is that any Sprint-eligible device that also supports GSM might be eligible for this plan, as I also suspect when Red Pocket acquired FreedomPop it also acquired the global SIM functionality that FreedomPop eventually discarded...just a wild guess of course. The only real way to tell of course is to buy one and try and be prepared for disappointment, and have a backup. I'm traveling internationally in Sept and I'm tempted just to try and see if this will work for a $15 experiment :-) ...
    I would assume that your E4 Plus, or any Sprint-compatible dual-mode CDMA / GSM device should work. The real question is whether Red Pocket takes your IMEI / MEID and ties the service to your device, or whether service is explicitly tied to the SIM card. If it's the latter, that opens up the possibility of using any GSM device, even one with no native Sprint support (which wouldn't matter outside the US, assuming you use this for foreign travel). If that works, then it's a question of whether the device would work in the US on Sprint assuming it has Sprint's LTE bands. Given that Sprint and T-Mobile are hoping/planning on merging, that seems likely.

I don't think this new offering is tied to something acquired from FreedomPop. The two have totally different lists of supported countries: FP Global was basically the US + Europe, whereas RP Explorer is missing some key European countries, but includes several outside Europe like Australia, Canada and Mexico. FP Global wasn't tied to Sprint at all, and speeds were limited to 3G, whereas these RP plans are LTE.

Of course, maybe in acquiring FP, someone at Red Pocket saw the Global SIM in the product line and said "hey, we could do that". However it came to be, I'm happy they're doing this. I just hope it's not exclusive to Sprint/CDMA devices, or that they expand it with a pure GSM offering tied to AT&T or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    i'll be interested in hearing how this works out. having something reasonable just for Canada would be helpful. Funny thing is that in US, i'd probably not ever consider Sprint for anything as their coverage is just to weak for my needs. but overseas with little expectation, i would love to be pleasantly surprised!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Has anyone actually signed up and ordered one of the RedPocket global sim cards? I've got a Sprint iPhone SE sitting in a drawer. I used the IMEI and it took me to the checkout screen where I enter my name, address, password, etc. I also tried the IMEI from an AT&T iPhone 7 and it took me to the checkout screen also. I'm going to be in Europe end of September and will probably sign up right before I leave to test it out.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, TruPhone, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    i'll be interested in hearing how this works out. having something reasonable just for Canada would be helpful. Funny thing is that in US, i'd probably not ever consider Sprint for anything as their coverage is just to weak for my needs. but overseas with little expectation, i would love to be pleasantly surprised!
    If you're looking for something just for Canada T-mo prepaid's $10 (tablet?) plan gives you 2GB at LTE speed and then bottomless data at "2G speed" after that each month. It's been working fine for me even though I haven't been able to access on-line account management for the longest while. Since I'm terrified that someone will say my plan is only for tablets and take it away from me I've been keeping quiet and just going into the T-mo shop when it's time to pay

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Folks,

Has anyone actually signed up and ordered one of the RedPocket global sim cards? I've got a Sprint iPhone SE sitting in a drawer. I used the IMEI and it took me to the checkout screen where I enter my name, address, password, etc. I also tried the IMEI from an AT&T iPhone 7 and it took me to the checkout screen also. I'm going to be in Europe end of September and will probably sign up right before I leave to test it out.

Eric
    Make sure you report back! I'm also going to Europe (and the Middle East) at the end of Sept and am going to try this out on my Sprint-eligible E4 Plus, and once I'm in Europe, test and see if I can just SIM swap into a non-Sprint eligible GSM phone...

Just a warning though, I tested several IMEIs on the checkout screen page, including some that I know aren't Sprint compatible and it also took me to the checkout page, so I don't think it's actually checking. Also, did you notice on the Checkout page for the "Jetsetter" plan it says 2GB/$15...think this must be an error!
    Last edited by momo1tx; 07-22-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: for typos!

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score
    I'm watching this for my trips to the US from Canada. Kind of the reverse eh? Liking the price and data. My FIDO in on my eSIM in my iPhone XR so I just want to drop in their SIM and have data while south for a month in February. It's hard to impossible to find a carrier that will mail a SIM to Canada so that your ready to go.RP will ship and the price is right. I read you're going to try to use it overseas but please use it while in the US for a report of how well it works at home. Thanks
    FIDO Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbusguy View Post
    I'm watching this for my trips to the US from Canada. Kind of the reverse eh? Liking the price and data. My FIDO in on my eSIM in my iPhone XR so I just want to drop in their SIM and have data while south for a month in February. It's hard to impossible to find a carrier that will mail a SIM to Canada so that your ready to go.RP will ship and the price is right. I read you're going to try to use it overseas but please use it while in the US for a report of how well it works at home. Thanks
    Instead of this RP Global data only plan, if you can't find an eBay seller to ship a T-Mo SIM to Canada, I suggest that you consider stopping into at a T-Mobile store after you cross the border and getting a T-Mobile Prepaid 2GB + Unlimited Throttled data plan for $10.

Plan Details: https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

As a bonus, that T-Mo plan will also work in Canada, although I'm sure there are conditions on how much you have to use it in the US vs Canada.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, TruPhone, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I suggest that you consider stopping into at a T-Mobile store after you cross the border and getting a T-Mobile Prepaid 2GB + Unlimited Throttled data plan for $10.
    Just as a heads up when I went into a T-mo shop and asked about the 2GB plan they didn't seem to know what I was talking about and I didn't have the time to educate them. YMMV but you should probably do your best to get a SIM and get the plan set-up online without involving in-store staff unless you want to walk them through the process.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Instead of this RP Global data only plan, if you can't find an eBay seller to ship a T-Mo SIM to Canada, I suggest that you consider stopping into at a T-Mobile store after you cross the border and getting a T-Mobile Prepaid 2GB + Unlimited Throttled data plan for $10.

Plan Details: https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

As a bonus, that T-Mo plan will also work in Canada, although I'm sure there are conditions on how much you have to use it in the US vs Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by scrip_>^..^< View Post
    Just as a heads up when I went into a T-mo shop and asked about the 2GB plan they didn't seem to know what I was talking about and I didn't have the time to educate them. YMMV but you should probably do your best to get a SIM and get the plan set-up online without involving in-store staff unless you want to walk them through the process.

Thanks but unfortunately where I stay has no T-mobile service unless I go stand out on the street. I have tried them before and had so much trouble with data and even voice back then. Even their network map shows it's a no service zone.

I had good service with AT&T but it was expensive. 2 GB for $17. No voice and an extra $8 for each extra GB..sounds just what I need. Need 2 SIMs and Facetime or iMessenger will give me the voice and texts I need. If I need to phone, I have my Google voice line as well.

This seems perfect to me, if someone can confirm it will work in the US

EDIT

and not to mention, I'll be able to activate and setup at home and travel through Canada to the border, then my whole trip and all the way back home too. No switching SIMs while driving or at the border.
    Last edited by dbusguy; 07-22-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Tello, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It's probably not possible to get that 2GB data plan for $10 in store. I think T-mobile would tack on an extra $10-25 for their "SIM Starter Kit " fee when activating in store. I would like to hear some feedback on it though, getting the sim fee waived if possible? That's probably the best low cost value for Canada/Mexico roaming.

Keeping an eye on this thread as well for feedback, activation, sim swapping, and which networks it roams on. Travel to Canada/Mexico and some Asian countries. Most Asian countries have cheap prepaid service, but there are a few outliers, *cough* Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by dbusguy View Post
    I had good service with AT&T but it was expensive. 2 GB for $17. No voice and an extra $8 for each extra GB..sounds just what I need. Need 2 SIMs and Facetime or iMessenger will give me the voice and texts I need. If I need to phone, I have my Google voice line as well.

This seems perfect to me, if someone can confirm it will work in the US
    ... But this will be using the Sprint network in the USA according to the first post. Your iPhone will work fine, but don't know if you can get coverage where you need it since you mentioned you get no T-mobile service there.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    ... But this will be using the Sprint network in the USA according to the first post. Your iPhone will work fine, but don't know if you can get coverage where you need it since you mentioned you get no T-mobile service there.
    Looking at the Sprint coverage map, there is coverage where I need it. Time will tell but their map says yes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Folks,

Eric
    I signed up.

I haven't left the United States yet, that's coming in a month's time. My experience so far:

Ordered SIM and paid up front for one month's service on the $9 option. That's 1gb, with overages at $8/1gb until plan renewal. According to the site, all unused data rolls over to the next month. So, for example, if you use less than the 1gb for $9, unused data rolls over. If you use more than 1gb and get additional data at $8/gb, any unused portion of a gig rolls over. We'll see about that. I plan to test that out starting tomorrow.

SIM arrived in just a couple of days. I didn't pay for faster than normal shipping. I went to activate the SIM but it was rejected. Or rather, my IMEI was rejected. The iPhone Xs I plan to use the SIM in was already connected to an active Sprint SIM and account on Tello.

Did a SIM swap and device swap on Tello to free up the iPhone Xs. Went to activate the SIM again and still got an activation error. Turns out Red Pocket sent me the wrong SIM card "part number" for the iPhone Xs. Started a chat session to figure out what was going on. They insisted the SIM was the correct model and the problem was my phone. I went to an Apple store and they gave me the correct SIM for my model iPhone.

Went to activate the new SIM from the Apple store but got an error again. Turns out Red Pocket attached the global plan to the SIM they sent me. It took me two different chats to finally get them to agree to do a SIM swap in order to move the plan to a compatible SIM. Finally successful activation.

Red Pocket's site instructs you to install a configuration profile on the phone, but this is completely incorrect. Installing the profile actually prevents data from working. Once the SIM is activated, all you need to do is restart your phone and wait for the over-the-air Sprint configuration to take place. A couple minutes later and data just worked.

I logged into the account a few times over the next couple of days but never saw my line or details about my line. You have to "attach" your line to your account yourself, Red Pocket doesn't do this for you. The system will send a text message to your phone with an attachment PIN. However, you'll never receive the text because this is a data-only plan. You can alternately use the SIM's ICCID to verify ownership.

Once everything is attached and verified, you still will not see payment information, or any kind of acknowledgment you are on auto-pay or that you'll not be cut off after the first 1gb. Another chat, which took about 35 minutes total, revealed I am indeed on auto-pay, using the credit card I keyed in at time of purchase, and that I'm also getting the $8/1gb overage auto-charged if needed. We'll see how that goes.

Because of the sketchiness of MVNO's in general these days, I'm glad I chose to use a generated credit card number, and not a real credit card number. I used the app Privacy to create a Red Pocket specific card number with a maximum limit of $10 per transaction. The Privacy card worked, and I feel more secure in that if any sketchiness materializes, I can cut it off quickly without much financial damage.

Feedback Score
    anthonysjenning, thank you for testing and reporting!

Will you be trying to find out if/how you can switch between the Explorer and Jetsetter plans?

Either way, I'll be waiting for the next installment of the report!

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast