Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do some phones not offer data in some European countries?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Why do some phones not offer data in some European countries?

first, I'm not a T-Mo customer, YET.

My wife and I are both well over 55; T-Mo plans look really good for us who have been on Verizon MVNOs with iPhone 7 for about 5 years.

I started looking when my wife's boss said international data, while not really fast, is included. She's going to Greece and Croatia for several weeks this fall. I was looking at a Vodafone prepaid SIM for her trip.

I accept it being true, but WHY, technically, will the iPhone 7 work in many countries (England, Croatia, Spain, Morocco, and Germany for examples) but not in others (Italy and Greece in particular)

This is not a complaint, just a question from an electronics engineer.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Could you provide a little more info about which service won't work in Italy and Greece with the iPhone 7? Are you saying the Vodafone prepaid SIM won't work in those countries in the iPhone7?

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    There is no technical reason as far as I can see. The IPhone 7 should support all the Italian and Greek bands according to its specs. There may be a restriction Vodafone puts on the prepaid SIM. (Note not all phones support the necessary bands but the IPhone is not one of those).

https://www.frequencycheck.com/compa...hone-9-3/italy

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP here ... let's include pictures since I communicated so poorly ... this is using the T-Mo international lookup for Greece where she'll be for about 2 weeks.

I also checked England, Croatia, Spain, Morocco, and Germany which do show working.

I know NOTHING about a Vodafone SIM except that it, per several sites, is the 2nd best for Greece, their local company is best. A Vodafone is what I am considering other than T-Mo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    OP here ... let's include pictures since I communicated so poorly ... this is using the T-Mo international lookup for Greece where she'll be for about 2 weeks. I also checked England, Croatia, Spain, Morocco, and Germany which do show working. I know NOTHING about a Vodafone SIM except that it, per several sites, is the 2nd best for Greece, their local company is best. A Vodafone is what I am considering other than T-Mo.
    what model iphone 7 do you have ?? see here - https://www.apple.com/lae/iphone/LTE/

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's clearly a mistake. That website doesn't show *any* phone that has alleged compatibility in Greece.

I can assure you that we had an iPhone 7 work flawlessly in Greece with a T-Mobile SIM April of last year.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The problem is that you're putting too much faith in the T-Mobile website. When it comes to phone capabilities, bands, roaming, etc. it's all screwed up. You have to have confidence in your own research and ignore T-Mobile's "experts" when they conflict.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The problem is that you're putting too much faith in the T-Mobile website. When it comes to phone capabilities, bands, roaming, etc. it's all screwed up. You have to have confidence in your own research and ignore T-Mobile's "experts" when they conflict.
    Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just as a note.. I'm going on a limb here.
    I did use iPhone 7 (T-Mobile) in Greece and Italy. If you have a Verizon iPhone 7, you may have issues specifically to LTE/UMTS/GSM bands.
    https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
    Apple's site may not be up to par on this, Verizon may have a more 'limited' GSM/UTMS/LTE iPhone 7 due to its CDMA chipset needed for .. Verizon than the more 'global' version.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    That's clearly a mistake. That website doesn't show *any* phone that has alleged compatibility in Greece.

I can assure you that we had an iPhone 7 work flawlessly in Greece with a T-Mobile SIM April of last year.
    Was your phone a ... Verizon branded CDMA iPhone 7.. or other ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP again ...

With the iPhone 7 for sure, The phones are not marked with Verizon brand. My wife bought hers from the Apple Store as a "works with everyone, SIM free". If she'd said Verizon she would have, I think, had to have an account with them and would have received a SIM. We removed her SIM from an iPhone 5 and installed it. Activating (fully) took several days because PagePlus had some weird way to install a profile.

Mine was bought used and was originally a Verizon issued phone. I dropped my Selectel sim in from my Motorola MotoX; activating took less than a minute.

Apple has to, AIUI, pay Qualcomm a license fee for the CDMA capability so they slightly PREFER to sell non-CDMA devices.

We are, for stupid reasons, with 2 different Verizon MVNOs. There is no lock of any type on either phone. I know the guy from whom I bought mine; he paid for it in full.

She's going to Greece and Croatia for 2+ weeks in support of local groups there and I want to have her phone ready. Her 2 previous trips involved multiple days to get a local SIM working.

Thus my posts, here and on "general prepaid".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    OP again ... With the iPhone 7 for sure, The phones are not marked with Verizon brand. My wife bought hers from the Apple Store as a "works with everyone, SIM free". If she'd said Verizon she would have, I think, had to have an account with them and would have received a SIM. We removed her SIM from an iPhone 5 and installed it. Activating (fully) took several days because PagePlus had some weird way to install a profile. Mine was bought used and was originally a Verizon issued phone. I dropped my Selectel sim in from my Motorola MotoX; activating took less than a minute. Apple has to, AIUI, pay Qualcomm a license fee for the CDMA capability so they slightly PREFER to sell non-CDMA devices. We are, for stupid reasons, with 2 different Verizon MVNOs. There is no lock of any type on either phone. I know the guy from whom I bought mine; he paid for it in full. She's going to Greece and Croatia for 2+ weeks in support of local groups there and I want to have her phone ready. Her 2 previous trips involved multiple days to get a local SIM working. Thus my posts, here and on "general prepaid".
    have you tried using a different web browser to see if you still get that phone not compatible error message ?? and are you using any script blocking add-ons like no script ??

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone 7 will work on the GSM service in those countries. The only time the CDMA is active is if you are using a CDMA carriers SIM card like Sprint or Verizon or one of those carriers MVNO. All Europen countries use GSM so your phones will work.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just had this problem as my parents are traveling in the UK and TMo's site said that the Galaxy S9+ wasn't compatible (false). He's using it there now. I didn't try my Mom's iPhone on that list. I just dismissed it as bugged.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Please everyone! This whole issue is a red herring. There is no problem using any iPhone 7 in Europe. These are the band specs for the model A1660 as sold in the USA.
    2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO; TD-SCDMA
    3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
    4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 27(800), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

The bands marked in red are used in various countries around Europe. There is no issue with the phone. The problem is with T-Mobile's website.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast