Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kickstart unlimited $25/month

Device(s)
    Apple
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    You must not have VoLTE yet in your area. It is on in most of the country. In the case of iPhones, it works on iPhone 8 and up.
    With the speeds I知 getting I would assume there would be VOLTE available. My 8 plus was bought from
    Apple so it would have all the bands working since it was purchased as an unlocked device.

Device(s)
    Apple
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gpg120713 View Post
    With the speeds I知 getting I would assume there would be VOLTE available. My 8 plus was bought from
    Apple so it would have all the bands working since it was purchased as an unlocked device.
    I don稚 think iPhones support volte on sprint as of yet. That would explain the call quality.

Feedback Score
    Do you have VoLTE enabled?

Feedback Score
    I don’t think iPhones support volte on sprint as of yet. That would explain the call quality.
    Oh certainly it does. For iPhone users, it requires iPhone 8 or higher.
    We have followed it in state by state rollout. It is in 80 out of 89 original markets now.

Device(s)
    Apple
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do you have VoLTE enabled?
    Yes I do have it enabled. I知 wondering if having it set up on WiFi calling could be the reason for the tinny sound when making calls.

Feedback Score
    Yes I do have it enabled. I知 wondering if having it set up on WiFi calling could be the reason for the tinny sound when making calls.
    The quality on Wifi Calling definitely varies depending on a lot of factors including router configuration etc.

So I would definitely try turning off Wifi Calling but leaving on VoLte and see which works better for you where you are.

And there is the third option of testing with both disabled which would use native CDMA voice..

Feedback Score

Kickstart unlimited $25/month

Both Verizon and Sprint seem to have higher treble than AT&T and T-Mobile. Higher treble can make things sound tinny. I personally think AT&T痴 VoLTE sounds flat. You will most likely get used to the Sprint sound over time and possibly come to like it.

A note about CDMA voice...it seems like the Codec being used in my area is highly compressed and not the HD voice previously used . It sounds very muffled. I am guessing CDMA voice is being dialed back to allow more bandwidth for VoLTE calls.

To find out if VoLTE is on, go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE. If Voice & Data is off, tap it to turn on VoLTE. You want LTE to say both Voice & Data, not just Data.
    Last edited by techfranz; 07-24-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy J3 Aura
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Since the merger has been approved, I'm wondering if I'm gonna get kicked off my kickstart plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caqz View Post
    Since the merger has been approved, I'm wondering if I'm gonna get kicked off my kickstart plan
    No you will not.
    At least for the 3 years for which they promised they will keep prices of both carriers the same.

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I just switched to the Sprint Kickstart plan a couple of days ago to use the Galaxy A50 I was offered through Samsung's Device Insights Program. My family is with Metro, but that wasn't an option for this phone. Before Metro, I had used Virgin Mobile and Sprint, so I knew they had solid coverage in my area.

Switching over to Sprint proved to be a minor fiasco; their customer service definitely hasn't improved since I was last with them. What I didn't expect was that data speeds would be so much slower than they had been (and much, much worse than I was getting with Metro). There must be some serious tower congestion in my area compared to a few years ago. It's still usable, but I had gotten out of the habit of going on Wifi even to update apps, and realized the difference as I was trying to update everything on the new phone.

For $25 a month and the phone from Samsung, I'll be sticking at least for the next 6 months, but will have to reserve judgement past that.

Sent from my SM-A505U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aml1025 View Post
    I just switched to the Sprint Kickstart plan a couple of days ago to use the Galaxy A50 I was offered through Samsung's Device Insights Program. My family is with Metro, but that wasn't an option for this phone. Before Metro, I had used Virgin Mobile and Sprint, so I knew they had solid coverage in my area.

Switching over to Sprint proved to be a minor fiasco; their customer service definitely hasn't improved since I was last with them. What I didn't expect was that data speeds would be so much slower than they had been (and much, much worse than I was getting with Metro). There must be some serious tower congestion in my area compared to a few years ago. It's still usable, but I had gotten out of the habit of going on Wifi even to update apps, and realized the difference as I was trying to update everything on the new phone.

For $25 a month and the phone from Samsung, I'll be sticking at least for the next 6 months, but will have to reserve judgement past that.
    What a horrible burden and true fiasco that you have to leave Wifi on while at your house to get the best speeds!

Why don't you just leave it on permanently? It won't use it when it's not in range, you know.

People fall all over themselves saying how terrible Sprint is, but then say they'll take it anyway. To me, that says it is actually perfectly adequate for their needs at that price point and there is no need to change it.

The Samsung offer is good for Verizon too you know if you absolutely have to have Cadillac-class service for no discernible reason. Yes, it would cost more!
    Last edited by comintel; 08-03-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy J3 Aura
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    No you will not.
    At least for the 3 years for which they promised they will keep prices of both carriers the same.
    Thank You. Good to know.
    I'll have to go back and look at the small print but I think it said the kickstart plan was $25/month for the first year then goes up to $60. Since it's not a contract, I can bail out but wasn't sure how long it's good for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caqz View Post
    Thank You. Good to know.
    I'll have to go back and look at the small print but I think it said the kickstart plan was $25/month for the first year then goes up to $60. Since it's not a contract, I can bail out but wasn't sure how long it's good for.
    It never said that about going to $60. That was people misinterpreting a comparison chart against Unlimited Basic. We had endless arguments but the people who claimed it meant that eventually conceded they were misinterpreting.
    Last edited by comintel; 08-03-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Feedback Score

Kickstart unlimited $25/month

Delete: Wrong Thread.
    Last edited by techfranz; 08-03-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Delete: Wrong thread

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    What a horrible burden and true fiasco that you have to leave Wifi on while at your house to get the best speeds!

Why don't you just leave it on permanently? It won't use it when it's not in range, you know.

People fall all over themselves saying how terrible Sprint is, but then say they'll take it anyway. To me, that says it is actually perfectly adequate for their needs at that price point and there is no need to change it.

The Samsung offer is good for Verizon too you know if you absolutely have to have Cadillac-class service for no discernible reason. Yes, it would cost more!
    It's too bad some of the things I wrote seem to have been misconstrued. The "fiasco" came from trying to set up service with Sprint; it took communication with several departments to complete what I thought would be a quick and straightforward port.

As for my other comments, they were observations as to differences in service so far. With Metro, my data speeds were significantly faster than my home internet's wifi, so I rarely bothered to turn on wifi. Right now the speeds I'm seeing with Sprint are comparable to what I used to get in my 3G days with Virgin Mobile. That's not saying Sprint is "terrible;" it's stating a fact about the service I'm getting compared to other companies I've dealt with. It was surprising because the last time I used Sprint, in the same location, speeds were much better.

Hopefully this forum hasn't become a place where a less-than-idyllic comment is seen as tantamount to demanding "Cadillac service." I try to be fair in my observations, and figured my experiences so far could add another view for those considering making the jump to the Kickstart plan. There definitely aren't many places to get a single line of service for under $30 a month and that is a big factor in many people's decisions too. As far as whether Sprint is currently "usable" in my area... there are moments where my data seems to struggle and stall (i assume due to tower congestion that didn't exist a few years ago), but overall it gets the job done.

That's my two cents' worth. One more perspective for people thinking about switching phone service. With cell companies as with most things, as the saying goes... YMMV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast