Thread: Can active prepaid SIM be converted to eSIM by a Tmobile rep?

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Can active prepaid SIM be converted to eSIM by a Tmobile rep?

Can an existing Tmobile prepaid number that is on a physical SIM be transferred to an eSIM inside an Apple device or will Tmobile insist on a new account and phone number in order to do this? If only a new account, would they let me port the old number over to an eSIM?

I downloaded the Tmobile eSIM app to see if I could do that, but it insists that I create a new account.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just spoke with a Tmobile rep who insists that no, this cannot be done. The only way to get an eSIM working on a Tmobile account (and they only do it for prepaid accounts btw) is to create a new account with new phone number.

People all over the cell forums have been discussing ways around this. Too bad Tmobile just cannot see the forrest for the trees.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So today, I ported the number from this account over to AT&T where there is a way to get a prepaid number onto an eSIM.
    Soon after, I received an email from Tmobile with a link to their site where I could take a short survey about why I quit Tmobile. I was going to tell them about the eSIM issue.
    Well, to make a long story short, I cannot log into that site with my now invalid Tmobile number so I tried using my email address. No good, it wants me to link a phone number to this email, which I am not about to do because it is no longer a Tmobile number. Wonder how many other people just give up on doing any kind of survey due to this and what comments and survey responses Tmobile is missing out on, if they care.