Thread: Bonding the connection of 2 nighthawks

Feedback Score

Bonding the connection of 2 nighthawks

I recently had some problems that led me to upgrade my router and my unite express to a nighthawk. It looks like my new router will allow me to bond 2 wans, I already have another nighthawk on a ccu plan. Is it possible to use these as a bonded set? As far as I can tell as long as the modem allows for 802.3ad it should work but I can not find if the nighthawk is capable of this. Anyone know further info?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cocky01 View Post
    I recently had some problems that led me to upgrade my router and my unite express to a nighthawk. It looks like my new router will allow me to bond 2 wans, I already have another nighthawk on a ccu plan. Is it possible to use these as a bonded set? As far as I can tell as long as the modem allows for 802.3ad it should work but I can not find if the nighthawk is capable of this. Anyone know further info?

most likely it will only do balancing not true bonding. that said, what are you expectations / what are you trying to accomplish by connecting two nighthawks together? cell tower has a set amount of bandwidth and you could be sharing bandwidth on the tower/specific channel... if you are hitting the device maximums and there is still capacity at the tower/on the channel, then perhaps it could make sense to connect two together but that would probably be unnecessary for 99% of people...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    most likely it will only do balancing not true bonding. that said, what are you expectations / what are you trying to accomplish by connecting two nighthawks together? cell tower has a set amount of bandwidth and you could be sharing bandwidth on the tower/specific channel... if you are hitting the device maximums and there is still capacity at the tower/on the channel, then perhaps it could make sense to connect two together but that would probably be unnecessary for 99% of people...
    It does both, has bonding link aggregation as well as load balance and fail over. I live in an extremely rural area, and the majority of people around me maybe a couple hundred that live out here a lot use Verizon, and most are flip phone people. I have seen both hit 50 or so mb at the same time so would like to see if it would work since my only other options are 12mb dsl for 70 bucks. Don’t think I would use it a lot mostly just have about 3 streams going at the most and light surfing on a couple of phones but since I’m going to pay for both lines for the foreseeable future and the new router also covers the whole house now (did have nighthawk in my bedroom as it was light on coverage) makes sense to use both on the router.

Feedback Score
    So I tried a RT-AX88 which defintely has wan aggregation, judging by the speed tests it did not work and the router itself seemed to verify this with a yellow exclamation and a list of reasons why it may not be working. Going to try and call netgear and see if there is a setting for 802.3 as that seems like the next logical step since I’m still not sure they even support it

Feedback Score
    Issue with first router was even though it was used in a write up about want aggregation it meant lan aggregation

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    https://speedify.com/

Tested a couple years ago and it worked then on wifi/hardline bonding.
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Feedback Score
    I have seen that , and it also being a vpn is intriguing but I was looking for a hardware solution so I wouldn’t be tied to a monthly fee

Feedback Score
    DSL-style bonding isn't possible with cellular modems.
    The difference with DSL bonding is the bonding happens at the data link layer, while with cellular it happens at the IP layer.
    All SD-WAN style routers will never give you speeds combining the throughput of your links.
    Instead, you get the average speed of your links.