Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

How to think about screen size.

How do y'all think about screen size? Some makes give the aspect ration and some dont. For instance, the e5 has an aspect ratio of 18/9 for its 5.7 in screen but the Galexy J7 has only a 5.5 screen, no aspect ratio, but it looks like it has more square inches????

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    How do y'all think about screen size? Some makes give the aspect ration and some dont. For instance, the e5 has an aspect ratio of 18/9 for its 5.7 in screen but the Galexy J7 has only a 5.5 screen, no aspect ratio, but it looks like it has more square inches????
    If the screen resolution info is provided, you can figure out the aspect ratio from that. The screen is measured diagonally, so a 5.7" screen with a ratio of 18/9 COULD have less square inches than a 5.5" screen with a different ratio. Remember the old geometry rules about right-angle triangles (a^2 + b^2 = c^2)? For a given diagonal measurement, a screen with a ratio of 1:1 (a square screen) has the largest area measurement.
    Last edited by hpham; 07-12-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If the screen resolution info is provided, you can figure out the aspect ratio from that. The screen is measured diagonally, so a 5.7" screen with a ratio of 18/9 COULD have less square inches than a 5.5" screen with a different ratio. Remember the old geometry rules about right-angle triangles (a^2 + b^2 = c^2)? For a given diagonal measurement, a screen with a ratio of 1:1 (a square screen) has the largest area measurement.
    Good point. I enjoy Tracfonereviewer. Wish they would do the math. OK, follow me here hpham. The e5 has a 5.7 diagonal screen, with an 18/9 ratio or 2/1. Alittle math and we find the screen is 2.5 inches wide and 5 inches long for an area of 12.5 sq. inches

The J7 and Fiesta 2 are 5.5 inch diagonal screens with a ratio of 1280/720= 1.78. That gives us a screen of 2.69 wide and 4.75 long or 12.78 square inches, a quarter sq inch bigger than the e5.

All numbers are appx but I have a spare Fiesta 2 and my active LG G3 in front of me for measurement to check my math.

Conclusion: a 5.7 inch screen with an 18/9 ratio is about the same as a 5.5 in screen with a 1.76 ratio as far as screen area. hpham goes to the head of the class.
    Last edited by Coyote Chris; 07-12-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How do y'all think about screen size? Some makes give the aspect ration and some dont.
    FWIW, most Android phones have a 16:9 aspect ratio. Other tend to be noted right now.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK, follow me here hpham. The e5 has a 5.7 diagonal screen, with an 18/9 ratio or 2/1. A little math and we find the screen is 2.5 inches wide and 5 inches long for an area of 12.5 sq. inches

The J7 and Fiesta 2 are 5.5 inch diagonal screens with a ratio of 1280/720= 1.78. That gives us a screen of 2.69 wide and 4.75 long or 12.78 square inches, a quarter sq inch bigger than the e5.

Conclusion: a 5.7 inch screen with an 18/9 ratio is about the same as a 5.5 in screen with a 1.76 ratio as far as screen area. hpham goes to the head of the class.
    Your math looks about right. Also, a 5.5" screen that's has 1:1 ratio (a square) has each side of 3.89" and an area of 15.12 square inches. More than all the other ratios. But nobody would want a square screen

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good point. I enjoy Tracfonereviewer. Wish they would do the math. OK, follow me here hpham. The e5 has a 5.7 diagonal screen, with an 18/9 ratio or 2/1. Alittle math and we find the screen is 2.5 inches wide and 5 inches long for an area of 12.5 sq. inches The J7 and Fiesta 2 are 5.5 inch diagonal screens with a ratio of 1280/720= 1.78. That gives us a screen of 2.69 wide and 4.75 long or 12.78 square inches, a quarter sq inch bigger than the e5. All numbers are appx but I have a spare Fiesta 2 and my active LG G3 in front of me for measurement to check my math. Conclusion: a 5.7 inch screen with an 18/9 ratio is about the same as a 5.5 in screen with a 1.76 ratio as far as screen area. hpham goes to the head of the class.
    go to sites like gsmarena.com - https://www.gsmarena.com/ & phonearena.com - https://www.phonearena.com/ both will give screen size & other specifications for phones.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Your math looks about right. Also, a 5.5" screen that's has 1:1 ratio (a square) has each side of 3.89" and an area of 15.12 square inches. More than all the other ratios. But nobody would want a square screen
    Blackberry released the Passport with a 1:1 screen a few years back. BB10 was not taking the market by storm, and they were working on an Android version of the firmware. Such an aspect ratio was reportedly not officially supported, nor was it allowed by Google at the time.

I had the opportunity to play around with the BB10 version long after it was discontinued - that screen would have been amazing for web browsing and document review. Despite my hatred of huge phones, I wanted one after that 😉

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks, hpham. Yes, you are correct. Nobody likes a square, like me.
    You have opened my eyes to what the actual size of a screen means.
    (BTW, even though I could review and do the math, as long as it doesnt involve differential equations and Orthogonal functions, the easiest thing for me was to make a thought problem out of it. First I drew my fiesta 2, sitting in front of me. Its pretty typical of a 1280/720 , 5.5 screen, with a 1.76 screen ratio. I then measured the width and length. Since the diagonal slope of the screen size is a constant angle, one only needs to draw a bunch of parallel lines to it and measure to ones hearts content to find all the parameters of screens of this ratio.

Same with my LG G3

So once I drew the slope of the e5, which is a 2:1 screen, and put in a bunch of parallel lines too, along with width and length lines, I have two good nomagraphs to compare fones with.
    Conclusion: I WANT A 7 INCH 1.76 FONE.

St Dog, I dont know what this means: "FWIW, most Android phones have a 16:9 aspect ratio. Other tend to be noted right now."
    What does noted right now mean?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What does noted right now mean?
    Right now, at this time, an aspect ratio other than 16:9 is called out (made note of) as it's different.

16:9 is the norm, so no reason to specifically mention that.

Many of the latest are playing with other ratios: 18:9, 18.5:9, 19:9, 19.5:9, Sony has a 21:9.

See the table about 3/4 the way down this page
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...ne-comparison/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Phone size comparison for some popular models.
    https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Right now, at this time, an aspect ratio other than 16:9 is called out (made note of) as it's different.

16:9 is the norm, so no reason to specifically mention that.

Many of the latest are playing with other ratios: 18:9, 18.5:9, 19:9, 19.5:9, Sony has a 21:9.

See the table about 3/4 the way down this page
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...ne-comparison/
    OK, my head just exploaded!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Aspect ratio of wide-screen HDTV (and probably 4K as well) is 16:9.

Aspect ratio of movies varies; there are several popular ratios depending on format the product is shot on, and how it is prepared for the expected market it'll be released to.

Any time there is a mismatch the display area gets fiddled with and you have resizing taking place on the device, and empty bands appearing on the sides or top/bottom (to keep the original aspect ratio intact). You do NOT want zooming in or artificial horizontal stretching being used just to fill up a screen. That would be referred to as distortion.