Thread: The Best BYOD Plan in Canada

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post The Best BYOD Plan in Canada

Name:  videotron-1665.png
Views: 284
Size:  34.6 KB

... is currently being offered by Videotron. For a not entirely unreasonable $65/month you get:

16 GB of data
    (described in the fine print as 9 GB + 7 GB at a permanent 100% discount)
    Unlimited Canada-wide calling
    Unlimited SMS and MMS from within Canada
    Call waiting, conference calling
    Any two of call display, call forwarding or voicemail
    Club Illico streaming video
    Stingray streaming music

I guess that with Québec being a distinct society and all they don't really have to worry about respecting net neutrality.

I was also under the impression that Videotron subscribers had to pay roaming fees for service outside of their home province, but if that was ever true it no longer seems to be the case. 16 GB for $65 works out to a cost per gigabyte of $4.0625, which I think is pretty great. Vive la différence!

Source: Videotron via RFD
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post

I guess that with Québec being a distinct society and all they don't really have to worry about respecting net neutrality.
    ?

[10 characters min...]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by olic View Post
    ?

[10 characters min...]
    Being a Montrealer myself I was actually asking the same “?” ...
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ”acurrie”
    Club Illico streaming video
    Stingray streaming music
    By being included/exempt from data charges, these are given ‘undue preference’ over similar competing services that are subject to data usage/charges - this shouldn’t be allowed under net neutrality rules

Device(s)
    Samsung a640
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Seriously, you live in Montreal and ya don't know the term "distinct society"....??

I'm dumbfounded....
    " Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalked us all our lives.
    But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on our journey
    and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it'll never come again.
    What we leave behind us is not as important as how we've lived "
    ---(Jean-Luc Picard)---

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    By being included/exempt from data charges, these are given ‘undue preference’ over similar competing services that are subject to data usage/charges - this shouldn’t be allowed under net neutrality rules
    As a Videotron customer I can tell you, these services are included for free, but NOT the data consumed using them. So no violation of the net neutrality rules, especially after Bhell whined to CRTC about the free data for music streaming that Videotron was offeringa couple of years ago.
    Still, I find their plans very competitive, but unfortunately being restricted to Quebec and a small Ottawa area, they don't drive competition from the cartel.
    Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most. [Mark Twain]

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post
    As a Videotron customer I can tell you, these services are included for free, but NOT the data consumed using them. So no violation of the net neutrality rules, especially after Bhell whined to CRTC about the free data for music streaming that Videotron was offeringa couple of years ago.
    Still, I find their plans very competitive, but unfortunately being restricted to Quebec and a small Ottawa area, they don't drive competition from the cartel.
    I see. I was just trying to clarify Andrew’s ‘distinct society’ comment that had people confused. I didn’t look into the plans, but assumed that’s what he’d found; I guess he just meant the included free vs paid part.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Seriously, you live in Montreal and ya don't know the term "distinct society"....??

I'm dumbfounded....
    No, we know very well that the concept of "distinct society" is used by anglophones in a negative way to ridicule Québec.

But, the question comes from the fact that this package does not break the net neutrality. The service is included, but the consumed data by this service is calculated in the quota. Exactly like when Rogers included Netflix in a package.

The OP obviously did not get it and its prejudices distorted the reality.

If it had been anywhere else, the OP would have asked more questions. But, as it's in Quebec, he jump on the conclusion, it is certainly negative! He makes the link with the "distect society" and he puts a big smile on it! Yay, it's funny! We make fun of them, one more layer to add to our negative opinion, no matter whether it's true or not is not important. We feel so good when we are comforted in our opinions. In addition, it allows us to value ourselves: "we are better than them"!

Seriously, it's a form of accepted rascime in Canada (yes, I know, Quebeckers are not a different race, but you know what I mean.). It's disgusting.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post
    As a Videotron customer I can tell you, these services are included for free, but NOT the data consumed using them.
    My mistake on this. I presumed Bell-like shenanigans where there are apparently none.

So can someone enlighten me as to why Videotron would even bother listing these services as perks when both apps are readily available for download?

illico for Android / iOS
    Stingray Music for Android / iOS
    Last edited by acurrie; 07-14-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Seriously, it's a form of accepted rascime in Canada (yes, I know, Quebeckers are not a different race, but you know what I mean.). It's disgusting.
    Sorry but that's just utter nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioGuy View Post
    Sorry but that's just utter nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    EDIT :

I delete my message. In any case, this xenophobia is so deeply inked, it's impossible for you to see it.
    Last edited by olic; 07-15-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    My mistake on this. I presumed Bell-like shenanigans where there are apparently none.
    It was free then some idiots whined about it and now it costs
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    But, the question comes from the fact that this package does not break the net neutrality. The service is included, but the consumed data by this service is calculated in the quota. Exactly like when Rogers included Netflix in a package.

The OP obviously did not get it and its prejudices distorted the reality.

If it had been anywhere else, the OP would have asked more questions. But, as it's in Quebec, he jump on the conclusion, it is certainly negative! He makes the link with the "distect society" and he puts a big smile on it! Yay, it's funny! We make fun of them, one more layer to add to our negative opinion, no matter whether it's true or not is not important. We feel so good when we are comforted in our opinions. In addition, it allows us to value ourselves: "we are better than them"!

Seriously are you joking or?
    Videotron has been one of the worst abusers of Net Neutrality in Canada

I mean here just with a quick google search
    https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrie...nsumer-groups/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Seriously are you joking or?
    Videotron has been one of the worst abusers of Net Neutrality in Canada

I mean here just with a quick google search
    https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrie...nsumer-groups/
    I will ask the same question! Seriously are you joking or?

Sure, Vidéotron does not have perfect record in this area.

But, one of the worst?

Vidéotron tried to offer packages where streaming music did not count in the data used. All the music services did not count. Vidéotron did not make an agreement to favor a particular supplier or his services. In fact, Vidéotron did not offer a music streaming service. Vidéotron did not receive any money from suppliers.

In short, the goal was to offer something different in the market. Sure, it was not great. At the time, I was quick to write to the CRTC to say that such offers should not exist, the net neutrality specifies that we can not favor a type service on another.

That said, to say that it is one of the worst players in net neutrality in the industry is just crazy!

Telus blocked union sites of its employees during a labor dispute! Bell did not count the bandwidth of its OWN services!!! He thus gave himself an big adventage to sell his own services. On his residential Internet, Bell even slowed down the P2P trafic voluntarily. When we know that the battle of Bell against P2P is to limit the piracy of its OWN rights... Rogers do the same thing in 2012.

These cases are really the wrost! This is the worst of what has been done in Canada! Not Videotron, who only wanted to innovate, without favoring his own interests.

But, yes, it's comes from Quebec, it's certainly the worst... we know that.