Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can I still make VoLTE calls if I select 4G in LTE settings?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    SOXFAN76,

LTE/VOLTE=4G, GSM=3G, TDMA=2G, Analog=pre 2G.
    WRONG. GSM is *NOT* 3G. It hasn't even ever been called that by a carrier in the US, and it's not 3G anyway. GSM and TDMA are both 2G technologies. Not sure why you continue to try and call GSM 3G when it is clearly not 3G in any way, shape, or form, and I already corrected you on that.

LTE=4G

HSPA+=3G

GSM/TDMA=2G

AMPS=1G (after the fact called 1G)

On the CDMA side:

LTE=4G

EVDO=3G

CDMA/1x=2G

AMPS=1G

Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Soxfan76

Very good and informative info. Thank you!
    You're welcome. Hope that clears things up.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sox,

We will have to disagree on this one.

I worked for At&t over 10 years and I know GSM =3G. GSM is not referred to as 2G.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Sox,

We will have to disagree on this one.

I worked for At&t over 10 years and I know GSM =3G. GSM is not referred to as 2G.
    You're posting erroneous information, and I have no clue where you got it. Even AT&T has never called GSM 3G. It is well known that AT&T calls their 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) network "4G" and parts of their 4G LTE network "5G E", but they have never called GSM 3G. They just called it GSM and EDGE. Both are 2G technologies. EDGE is sometimes called 2.75G just like HSPA+ is sometimes called 3.5G or 3.75G.

TDMA, CDMA/1xRTT, GSM/GPRS, and EDGE are all 2G technologies.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    AT&T itself has more recently called GSM/EDGE "2G", even though historically they just called it "GSM", "GPRS", and "EDGE":

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...etwork-by-2017

"We will manage this process consistent with previous network upgrades and will transition customers on a market-by-market basis" from GSM and EDGE networks to more advanced services, the carrier said. "We expect to fully discontinue service on our 2G networks by approximately January 1, 2017. Throughout this multi-year upgrade process, we will work proactively with our customers to manage the process of moving to 3G and 4G devices, which will help minimize customer churn."

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    2G is GSM.

https://about.att.com/innovationblog/2g_sunset

https://www.pcmag.com/news/362222/wh...ones-in-the-us

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/17/...wn-2g-network/

Veriztd, while I appreciate your technically accurate info, you’re going to confuse OP. AT&T calls it’s HSPA+ network 4G and LTE network “4G LTE”. To answer OP’s question, if LTE is set to “Off”, or “Data only”, you will not get HD/VoLTE calls. It needs to be set to “Voice and Data”.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK, I am done.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    2G is GSM.
    Thanks.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I appreciate all the input from everyone on this. I have learned a lot.

I am still not QUITE sure why the bars on the phone are so low when on LTE but so be it.

I do go into field test mode to look at the actual signal strength and on the average depending on where in my house I am, I usually see between about -81 or so (which I assume is excellent) to around -103 or so (which I assume is good).

I used an iphone 5c for many years until a few months ago and I guess I got spoiled by the fact that in most places it showed full bars. Apparently LTE does not do that.

So I guess the bottom line is to ignore the bars.

I do understand in order for VoLTE to work, Voice & Data must be chosen in the settings. I also understand that it makes no sense really to turn off LTE. The better idea is to just trust it. Apparently, the phone knows what it's doing.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Can I still make VoLTE calls if I select 4G in LTE settings?

I know this is a little bit off-topic, but I find that when I am on 5Ge, the signal seems to handle much better at the edge of a cell compared to regular LTE. My parents basement is just one area where if I am on regular LTE I can’t even use the phone, but when it’s on 5Ge, one bar works great. And I found this to be the case in a few areas. Just my observation.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    One thing is that people use shorthand. GSM for networks like ATT/T-Mobile. CDMA for Verizon/Sprint. On T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint, you can still use the GSM or CDMA, but ATT dropped support for GSM.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am still not QUITE sure why the bars on the phone are so low when on LTE but so be it.
    If I had to guess, you're likely comparing B5 HSPA+ to B30 LTE. The difference is pretty significant.

I do go into field test mode to look at the actual signal strength and on the average depending on where in my house I am, I usually see between about -81 or so (which I assume is excellent) to around -103 or so (which I assume is good).
    Both are pretty good. I can use my phone at around -120dBmV, and then it gets sketchy.

I do understand in order for VoLTE to work, Voice & Data must be chosen in the settings. I also understand that it makes no sense really to turn off LTE. The better idea is to just trust it. Apparently, the phone knows what it's doing.
    Yeah, just let it do it's thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I know this is a little bit off-topic, but I find that when I am on 5Ge, the signal seems to handle much better at the edge of a cell compared to regular LTE. My parents basement is just one area where if I am on regular LTE I can’t even use the phone, but when it’s on 5Ge, one bar works great. And I found this to be the case in a few areas. Just my observation.
    Probably CA and 4x4 MIMO. The technologies behind "5G E" are very, very good technologies, and AT&T did a good job rolling them out, it's just a shame that they called them something that they aren't. I think almost everyone would have been happy if they had called them "4G LTE+" or "LTE TURBO" or other completely made-up name that was 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    One thing is that people use shorthand. GSM for networks like ATT/T-Mobile. CDMA for Verizon/Sprint. On T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint, you can still use the GSM or CDMA, but ATT dropped support for GSM.
    True. GSM was used as shorthand for the global standards-based system of GSM >>> UMTS/HSPA+ >>> LTE as opposed to the CDMA/1xRTT > EVDO >>> LTE route Verizon took, the cluster**** Sprint took via WiMAX, and the CDMA/1xRTT > EVDO >>> HSPA+ >>> LTE route that a few other CDMA carriers in countries like Canada took.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK so today, I have a completely different assessment!

I did some driving around and experimenting and my entire feelings have now changed.

1 - The bars on the phone most certainly DO mean something. If I am down to 2 or 1 bar the quality of the call really sucks. Choppy at best. Signal strength was between -108 and -115 on a few calls I made when the phone indicated either 1 or 2 bars. I wouldn't even call the call quality on any that I made at those levels acceptable. If I turned off LTE, the bars would go all the way up and call quality would be superb. If I get 4 bars on an LTE call the quality is superb as well.

2 - LTE is has been around for how long now? About 10 years or so? I'd THINK that AT&T would have more towers handling LTE in my area at this point (Los Angeles suburb) but apparently not! I ASSUME that the reason I get such better reception when turning off LTE is because there are more non LTE towers that are closer to me in many of these instances where I have the trouble. For what it's worth, most of the experimenting that I did this morning was along or extremely close to the 91 freeway in Riverside, Corona, Anaheim and Yorba Linda, Ca. I'd say that there were zero, 1, or two bars of LTE along this approx 25 mile stretch for about 65% of the way. With LTE turned off, the bars rarely went below the full 4 bars. Do I have to wait another 10 years before there will be enough LTE towers to suffice? And if it's not that, is something ELSE going on to make LTE phone calls so poor?

3 - My conclusion based on nothing more than my less than educated observations was that LTE sucks and serves only to provide faster speeds for 16 year olds who want to use their phones to play games on the internet. Sorry to be so sarcastic but I am very frustrated. I've been using cell phones for about 27 years now and I can honestly say not much at all has gotten better, only worse in those 25 years except for what I just mentioned about the purpose of LTE. Seems to me that the only improvement worth anything over the years has been in speed but then I suppose people don't use cell phones much as phones anymore but rather as devices that happen to have the ability to make calls (if one should want to).
    Last edited by californiajay; 07-13-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK so today, I have a completely different assessment!

I did some driving around and experimenting and my entire feelings have now changed.
    1. Something else is going on with the network in your area. The call shouldn't be choppy with 2 bars of signal. If I'm in the car and have 1 bar, it can be choppy between towers, but that's nothing new, there's just almost no coverage in some places between towers, and it happened with TDMA, GSM, and HSPA+ too. If I'm stationary, 1 bar is rock solid.

2. It's possible there's a non-LTE tower out there somewhere, but not very likely. More likely, something either isn't working properly in the network, or your phone for whatever reason is picking a tower farther away than the nearest tower. AT&T never really did the partial LTE buildouts that Verizon did, but even Verizon has had LTE on virtually all towers for years now. I know of one spot that had a non-LTE tower, but that was a one-off oddball situation and I've never seen anything else like it where a single tower didn't have LTE in an area that otherwise had it.

3. That's just not true. Even voice is better on LTE 99% of the time. You've got something really wonky going on either with your phone or the network in your area or something. And no, mobile data isn't just for "16 year olds to play games" lol. Yeah, most people don't make a lot of calls, but in my experience, even that functionality has gotten better, at least from TDMA to GSM to HSPA+ to VoLTE. I don't think anything will ever be as good coverage wise as AMPS.

Have you reported this on the mark the spot app? Something is going on with the network if that's what you're getting. Either LTE isn't working on some towers, the network isn't putting you on the right tower, or the band selection is wonky and holding you on B30 when you should drop to B2, B12, or other bands.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I actually ported back to Verizon late today. I followed the same route that I took the other day and rarely saw anything but 4 full bars once on Verizon again. I am at a loss as to why the performance along a 25 mile stretch of suburb freeway would result in such lousy coverage on AT&T. I had used AT&T for several years till last year, albeit with a non LTE phone, but it was always very reliable.

I am really beginning to wonder about something. The phone was originally purchased from Verizon and then unlocked and put onto AT&T. I have asked several people whether or not this might have an effect on performance on AT&T since it was originally intended to be a Verizon phone. I have always been told that it would not. I've also been told that an iphone Xr will have the same bands that either of the two carriers offer. But I wonder if something is up, like maybe Verizon does something to these phones that when they are unlocked and used on a different carrier they are somehow crippled??

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am really beginning to wonder about something. The phone was originally purchased from Verizon and then unlocked and put onto AT&T. I have asked several people whether or not this might have an effect on performance on AT&T since it was originally intended to be a Verizon phone. I have always been told that it would not. I've also been told that an iphone Xr will have the same bands that either of the two carriers offer. But I wonder if something is up, like maybe Verizon does something to these phones that when they are unlocked and used on a different carrier they are somehow crippled??
    Those people were wrong, and VZW is the worst with regard to crippling things.

the ONLY way to tell what's what and test every feature is to get a carrier-branded AT&T phone.

The exception is an iPhone bought directly from Apple--it would be a fine phone for moving back and forth, as it is by definition fully featured and will take on the carrier attributes of whichever SIM you install.

But you bought it from VZW.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast