Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Can I still make VoLTE calls if I select 4G in LTE settings?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Something is going on with AT&T's network. It's not your phone if it works well on Verizon.

What's next? The earth is flat and Sasquatches are ancient alien creatures?
    hmmmm. Well, if I had the choice of believing either that Bigfoot exists OR that VZW knows what the hell it's doing AND gives a hoot down in the trenches with respect to their end users...that Bigfoot story is looking better every day.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    hmmmm. Well, if I had the choice of believing either that Bigfoot exists OR that VZW knows what the hell it's doing AND gives a hoot down in the trenches with respect to their end users...that Bigfoot story is looking better every day.
    VZW did not magically make iPhones only work properly on VZW. That's nonsense. Just like the alien Bigfoot theories (Bigfoot is actually an ape-like primate), or the flat earth stuff (earth is actually almost round).

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would just like to add to seeing "low LTE bars."
    I also see "low LTE bars" on my Blackberry KeyOne, on Verizon Wireless, significantly lower bars and lower signal strength than my Stratosphere II had in most cases (edit: but no drop in performance you'd expect from that weak a signal). The KeyOne supports plenty of bands, the Strat II was band 13 only.

Long story short, I'm thinking this is from carrier aggregation. I have LTE Discovery and CellTracker on here... I will see about 90% band 4, and about 10% band 13 here (with band 2 and 5 popping up a few times, just enough to let me know VZW has indeed refarmed some CDMA to LTE here...) My phone will indeed sit on band 4 until it's down to like -118 here, then it'll kick over to band 13 and show about -80 signal (going up several signal bars). BUT, almost no difference to speedtest! Carrier aggregation is advertised for extra speed, but also makes it so you can have (in this case) band 4 for capacity, and band 13 for coverage, and like slosh data use back and forth between the two as it wishes. In this case, I assume it's virtually 100% on band 13; if I go to where band 4 signal is like -87 like I am right now I do get higher speeds though.

It's certainly looks odd though, to be getting like 0-1 bar of service somewhere, then about when you expect it to croak out it shoots back up to 4 bars instead. In my area, it seems that VZW has for the most part kept their band 13 where it is, and added relatively low-powered band 4 sites all over the place. (I only saw band 5 and 2 here breifly so I don't know how that's rigged up.)

AT&T doesn't use band 13 but you'd probably be camping on band 4 and potentially band 2 for capacity, then using band 12 or 5 for coverage.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4