Thread: Why T-Mo is growing

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Why T-Mo is growing

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Not-Activating

and my thread, right at the same time:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...es-quot-switch

I'm struggling with T-Mo service for some reason, so I'm testing AT&T for a couple of months. And voila--they fail a basic thing right out of the box.

And some AT&T fanboi says I'm supposed to know what secret advanced group to ask for to make a basic out of the box function happen as advertised.

I may be struggling with T-Mo service right now for some reason, but I've never struggled with their customer OR technical service.

More to the point, I've never had a basic function not work like that.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Pretty well known that WiFi calling won’t work unless you have a ATT branded phone.

The only exceptions are iPhones. There are some android phones that I believe do work like OnePlus but not sure which ones.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree that WiFi calling not working on unbranded devices is a PITA, but that is going to be resolved by EOY 2019. I had to buy two AT&T branded phones as a result, although one of them is now flashed to a U firmware so I can I use it on whatever, and one is my current device.

That being said, 99% of people don't know or care how VoLTE and VoWiFi are provisioned, and use phones provided by their carrier. I've seen conflicting reports, no one can seem to figure out if you get VoLTE roaming on USCC with an unbranded device on T-Mobile, so T-Mobile may have an even bigger problem with unbranded devices due to no fault of their own (it would appear if they in fact don't work it is USCC's fault).

There are a few factors making T-Mobile wildly successful, and NONE of them have jack **** to do with IMS provisioning:

1. People are willing to give up coverage in exchange for price, but only to a certain point. T-Mobile's coverage is good enough so that barrier has been removed for a lot of people, whereas T-Mobile coverage in 2014 wouldn't have been. T-Mobile is also denser in many metro markets than other carriers, so metro market coverage is often equal to or better than AT&T and Verizon.

2. The US is getting more diverse. More people are coming from all over the world to live and work here, and often go back to visit family. More people are also traveling globally for recreational travel. The free international roaming that just works in most of the world is HUGE. I know a friend whose family switched from Verizon in Rhode Island to T-Mobile, even though Verizon is the absolute king of cell service in Rhode Island, and nothing else works very well. The base pricing is somewhat cheaper than AT&T or Verizon, but for a family that travels abroad even occasionally, that savings can easily double when you factor in international. Add in taxes and fees, that's a huge chunk of change.

3. Other non-roaming perks like Netflix, the JOD program, etc. The 55+ and Military plans are awesome too.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondLink View Post
    Pretty well known that WiFi calling won’t work unless you have a ATT branded phone.
    You missed my point: I have an AT&T branded phone, it wasn't working, and AT&T couldn't figure out how to make it work.

With support like that...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    I agree that WiFi calling not working on unbranded devices is a PITA, but that is going to be resolved by EOY 2019. I had to buy two AT&T branded phones as a result, although one of them is now flashed to a U firmware so I can I use it on whatever, and one is my current device.

That being said, 99% of people don't know or care how VoLTE and VoWiFi are provisioned, and use phones provided by their carrier. I've seen conflicting reports, no one can seem to figure out if you get VoLTE roaming on USCC with an unbranded device on T-Mobile, so T-Mobile may have an even bigger problem with unbranded devices due to no fault of their own (it would appear if they in fact don't work it is USCC's fault).

There are a few factors making T-Mobile wildly successful, and NONE of them have jack **** to do with IMS provisioning:

1. People are willing to give up coverage in exchange for price, but only to a certain point. T-Mobile's coverage is good enough so that barrier has been removed for a lot of people, whereas T-Mobile coverage in 2014 wouldn't have been. T-Mobile is also denser in many metro markets than other carriers, so metro market coverage is often equal to or better than AT&T and Verizon.

2. The US is getting more diverse. More people are coming from all over the world to live and work here, and often go back to visit family. More people are also traveling globally for recreational travel. The free international roaming that just works in most of the world is HUGE. I know a friend whose family switched from Verizon in Rhode Island to T-Mobile, even though Verizon is the absolute king of cell service in Rhode Island, and nothing else works very well. The base pricing is somewhat cheaper than AT&T or Verizon, but for a family that travels abroad even occasionally, that savings can easily double when you factor in international. Add in taxes and fees, that's a huge chunk of change.

3. Other non-roaming perks like Netflix, the JOD program, etc. The 55+ and Military plans are awesome too.
    You missed my point: I have an AT&T branded phone, it wasn't working, and AT&T couldn't figure out how to make it work.

And yet, when I call T-Mo with a technical issue, they manage to find the right resources to resolve it. AT&T reps, on the other hand, probably didn't know about that double secret probation special tech support group they no doubt have access to.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

And yet, when I call T-Mo with a technical issue, they manage to find the right resources to resolve it. AT&T reps, on the other hand, probably didn't know about that double secret probation special tech support group they no doubt have access to.
    Those threads are all about an unbranded device. But again, T-Mobile is successful for several reasons, none of which have anything to do with how AT&T provisions IMS. AT&T's billing system is also highly dysfunctional, but that's also not why T-Mobile is successful.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Those threads are all about an unbranded device.
    Did you read the thread I started? About a branded device?

My point is, if AT&T is dysfunctional where T-Mobile isn't, customers know and reward that appropriately.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    .....My point is, if AT&T is dysfunctional where T-Mobile isn't, customers know and reward that appropriately.
    Whoa! If T-Mobile isn't dysfunctional, I'd like to know what it takes to qualify?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Read my posts on AT&T.

It took AT&T exactly no time to show their dysfunction. Can't even make your own product work to specifications, and don't bother to pass the customer on to the group tasked with dealing with such things? DING!

I'm going to hang on to, and repeat, the results of my first support call with AT&T: "Does it have the AT&T logo screened on to the back of the phone? If not, then it's not an AT&T phone and certain features will never work." She was wrong, of course. But neither her nor the second guy I called even as much as offered to get me over to this super double secret probation tech support team that's tasked with helping with these issues.

Compared to T-Mobile, AT&T is dysfunctional, yes.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    .... But neither her nor the second guy I called even as much as offered to get me over to this super double secret probation tech support team that's tasked with helping with these issues..
    Last time I needed a issue elevated with a branch of AT&T I just had to stay on the line until the robot CSR asked if I was satisfied with her service. When I replied "No. I'm not satisfied." I was connected to her supervisor. He at least had enough on the ball to realize that it was a technical issue beyond his competence and then passed me to Tech Support. They were able to take a report for Network Engineering, which was followed up on and the issue was resolved within a week. After I got past the script-reading robot, things went pretty well. Getting past her was painful.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    T-Mobile effectively _had_ to esure WiFi calling would work, as its rural network was (is still) swiss cheese.
    It was very aggressive on the push to VoLTE as well - partially to save its spectrum (no need to keep a large chunk of GSM/UMTS) and deploy in areas where it doesn't have 850/1900MHz 'traditional' GSM/UMTS spectrum/deployments.
    I've had little issue with VoWiFi, and typically don't use WiFi.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Did you read the thread I started? About a branded device?
    I read the threads, they were primarily about unbranded devices.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I read the threads, they were primarily about unbranded devices.
    then no, you didn't read the threadS plural.

One in particular was exclusively about branded devices--despite the efforts of people who didn't read to try to ***-U-ME the discussion was about an unbranded device.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    AT&T customer service/technical support is absolute trash and by far the worst one I deal with between all the carriers (Sprint surprisingly usually even does a better job)

AT&T if everything works, you're good.. but IF ANYTHING goes wrong.. good luck getting it fixed. I had a wonky number port problem a few weeks ago, and It took an act of god for me to get someone to figure out whom to create a ticket before it was fixed.

Anytime i've had number ports go wrong, T-Mobile and Verizon would know who to send the ticket too, and just say wait 1-2 days and it was always fixed... AT&T they pretended that it was just not possible to correct, and i was lying when i said everyone else was able to do it.

AT&T's problem is the left hand never talks to the right hand, and very poor training on ancient systems.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    IPHONE 6
    Carrier(s)
    VZW•AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    AT&T customer service/technical support is absolute trash and by far the worst one I deal with between all the carriers (Sprint surprisingly usually even does a better job)

AT&T if everything works, you're good.. but IF ANYTHING goes wrong.. good luck getting it fixed. I had a wonky number port problem a few weeks ago, and It took an act of god for me to get someone to figure out whom to create a ticket before it was fixed.

Anytime i've had number ports go wrong, T-Mobile and Verizon would know who to send the ticket too, and just say wait 1-2 days and it was always fixed... AT&T they pretended that it was just not possible to correct, and i was lying when i said everyone else was able to do it.

AT&T's problem is the left hand never talks to the right hand, and very poor training on ancient systems.
    Yes it is

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    VZW•UDP-AT&T•INTL.UDP A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast