Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Why T-Mo is growing

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    316
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    AT&T's problem is the left hand never talks to the right hand, and very poor training on ancient systems.
    AT&T's billing systems are epicly screwed up. We can't really change anything on the plan that I'm on, as it's grandfathered with a promo for more data, and if we try to change anything (we can add and drop lines just fine), the whole plan will implode, and no one knows how to rebuild it. They have so many layers of cruft in their systems that they seem to go sideways as soon as you get a little bit off script. They really should just blow the whole thing up and start over, but like many people, I wouldn't want to lose my grandfathered plan, as it's better than anything that they offer today.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,437
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    ......They really should just blow the whole thing up and start over, ......
    T-Mobile did something like this a few years ago. I was on a grandfathered regional plan that was so old that no one knew exactly what was included in my region. Added to this I had an unlimited VPN data bolt-on option. They forced me off this plan onto a special "select choice" plan that was a really good deal. They did this to quite a few customers and got the "cruft" out of their billing system. It wasn't so much blowing up the system as it was a through pruning and weeding.
    Donald Newcomb

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,153
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Did you read the thread I started? About a branded device?

    My point is, if AT&T is dysfunctional where T-Mobile isn't, customers know and reward that appropriately.
    Umm.. not really.
    Both companies have their dysfunctional components, IMHO. T-Mobile has more ... 'salesmanship' and probably spends more on its advertising/promotions than AT&T does.
    I've had issues with AT&T back as far as 2002... primarily service issues. Their customer service took a dive after AT&T Wireless became AT&T Mobility... their prices went up, iPhone + network became worse than ever, and then they botched their whole 'unlimited data' plans, and killed of the 'Canada roaming' add-on. To add insult to injury, they moved their plans around into 'family share plans' which burned.
    Shortly after - having to pay $$$ for Canada calling (had business that I had to take care of), T-Mobile offered free data/text and much cheaper calling in Canada.... and cheaper overall for service. AT&T only came looking for me 'after' I ditched them. To add another interesting note about AT&T... their numbers had some strange 'regional' bits in the past, where their billing was messed up, and wouldn't allow phone numbers from different regions to be added to a family plan.
    T-Mobile has its issues too... typically CS that "hears but doesn't listen". This may be part of their CS script, but I did think that T-Mobile had revamped its CS about a year ago.. but still has no ability or desire to understand what I'm saying, and cannot even submit tickets properly (i.e. location is wrong 99% of the time, and ticket is auto closed).
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,423
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Umm.. not really.
    Both companies have their dysfunctional components, IMHO. T-Mobile has more ... 'salesmanship' and probably spends more on its advertising/promotions than AT&T does.
    I've had issues with AT&T back as far as 2002... primarily service issues. Their customer service took a dive after AT&T Wireless became AT&T Mobility... their prices went up, iPhone + network became worse than ever, and then they botched their whole 'unlimited data' plans, and killed of the 'Canada roaming' add-on. To add insult to injury, they moved their plans around into 'family share plans' which burned.
    Shortly after - having to pay $$$ for Canada calling (had business that I had to take care of), T-Mobile offered free data/text and much cheaper calling in Canada.... and cheaper overall for service. AT&T only came looking for me 'after' I ditched them. To add another interesting note about AT&T... their numbers had some strange 'regional' bits in the past, where their billing was messed up, and wouldn't allow phone numbers from different regions to be added to a family plan.
    T-Mobile has its issues too... typically CS that "hears but doesn't listen". This may be part of their CS script, but I did think that T-Mobile had revamped its CS about a year ago.. but still has no ability or desire to understand what I'm saying, and cannot even submit tickets properly (i.e. location is wrong 99% of the time, and ticket is auto closed).
    T-Mobile i've had fantastic luck with CS wise, especially since it's the "team of experts" now.. AT&T on the other hand i'm pulling my hair out this month trying to fix issues on my Wireless, U-Hearse DSL, and cancelled directv combined billing account in Chicago.

    The phillipines rep really screwed up - disconnected my DSL when I just asked for the DirecTV to go, then charged me an ETF for thre DirecTV even though there was tech notes saying my issue could not be fixed, then AT&T lost a phone number during a port gone wrong and they cannot understand that happened and now I have 3 number change fees and an activation fee..

    I'm ready to just cancel everything on that account and just walk to be honest, i'm finally just DONE.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    53
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I suspect all those freebies i.e. gimmicks and network upgrades have helped T-Mo tremendously.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,153
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They are fine as long as they don't end up like Sprint, undercutting their own profits

    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    316
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile did something like this a few years ago. I was on a grandfathered regional plan that was so old that no one knew exactly what was included in my region. Added to this I had an unlimited VPN data bolt-on option. They forced me off this plan onto a special "select choice" plan that was a really good deal. They did this to quite a few customers and got the "cruft" out of their billing system. It wasn't so much blowing up the system as it was a through pruning and weeding.
    I mean I'd be perfectly happy taking an MSA/F/P plan that's equivalent to what I have on MSV. The problem is, their current MSP plan is worse for multiple lines (it's pretty good for one). Or they could just give us Unlimited & More Premium with our existing discount plus $15/mo off for the first line and $5/mo off for the other lines. I can dream, right?

    Verizon and AT&T both use grandfathered plans extensively as retention tools. Not that T-Mobile and Sprint don't, but they tend to have fewer very long time customers. Many people around here started on SNET Wireless or Bell Atlantic Mobile, and are still on the same carrier (AT&T Mobilty or Cellco respectively).

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,423
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Honestly though, every time i've looked at legacy plans on AT&T they've not been very attractive. I actually can still get Nation plans on my FAN discount from work (the new line I added last month was actually set up on Nation 450 until I called to get it swapped over to my Unlimited & More Premium)

    Those old plans by the time you bolted on everything you needed, a single line was almost as much as the current plan is for two phones anyway, although I do think AT&T really missed the mark on the current family plan pricing. I pay the same on AT&T for two phones as I paid Verizon for almost 3 phones on the old 2017 UDP family.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,706
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm curious as to how you--or anyone--defines "long time customer".

    I say that because should I call in to T-Mo, my "Team of Experts" greets me enthusiastically with thanks for being "such a long time customer!". I entered the world of having my own cell service and my own phone in Feb. 2013 (prior to that I had a corporate-provided phone, and had no need for anything else). Is 6.5 years a "long time" for cell customers?

    I'm the oddball out there with a single line of service. I can, and will, move around in a heartbeat if it's to my advantage. That's why I'm currently testing AT&T service against my suddenly-not-so-great T-Mobile service.

    I have to imagine that what's REALLY keeping customers in place are those idiot family plans, that people set and forget. I have some family that's still paying for their adult son's service on their family plan--he's 32 years old and a captain in the Air Force, stationed over in England!!! (I'm a big fan of kicking the birds out of the nest. My high school and college at-home kids are EACH on their own Cricket plans; my goal is that when they leave the nest, they can simply switch the credit card that's set up for autopay and move on with their lives without me or my credit card, and all with zero drama.)

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,423
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    I'm curious as to how you--or anyone--defines "long time customer".

    I say that because should I call in to T-Mo, my "Team of Experts" greets me enthusiastically with thanks for being "such a long time customer!". I entered the world of having my own cell service and my own phone in Feb. 2013 (prior to that I had a corporate-provided phone, and had no need for anything else). Is 6.5 years a "long time" for cell customers?

    I'm the oddball out there with a single line of service. I can, and will, move around in a heartbeat if it's to my advantage. That's why I'm currently testing AT&T service against my suddenly-not-so-great T-Mobile service.

    I have to imagine that what's REALLY keeping customers in place are those idiot family plans, that people set and forget. I have some family that's still paying for their adult son's service on their family plan--he's 32 years old and a captain in the Air Force, stationed over in England!!! (I'm a big fan of kicking the birds out of the nest. My high school and college at-home kids are EACH on their own Cricket plans; my goal is that when they leave the nest, they can simply switch the credit card that's set up for autopay and move on with their lives without me or my credit card, and all with zero drama.)
    I've had my own T-Mobile account since 2006. I voluntarily signed up and left my parents Verizon family plan as I wanted data, and Verizon was simply too expensive for what you got.

    Now, the other family members, the requirements usually are when the phone is paid off/contract up.. you get to AOL the line and it's yours but get it OFF my account haha

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    316
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Honestly though, every time i've looked at legacy plans on AT&T they've not been very attractive.
    We have 2 going on 3 lines on MSV 10GB that was doubled to 20GB plus 1GB Canada roaming on each line. You can't beat that today, but not everyone had/has as good of a grandfathered plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    I'm curious as to how you--or anyone--defines "long time customer".
    I would define it as having started as an AMPS customer in 1999 or earlier, although that doesn't work for T-Mobile unless you're in Myrtle Beach and stayed with them through all the technology transitions, since they're only a CLR/legacy AMPS carrier in that market.

    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Now, the other family members, the requirements usually are when the phone is paid off/contract up.. you get to AOL the line and it's yours but get it OFF my account haha
    Most people I know that are almost 30 are on their parents' plan. The way they are set up, it's cheaper to be in a big group, so they keep them that way and just pay part of the bill. I do the same. I'm not sure what I'd be on if it weren't for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 11:38 PM
  2. ftp://iden.homeip.net - Games/Apps and is growing!
    By AaronASB in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 01-18-2003, 03:01 PM
  3. Why T-Mobile Is My Favorite Wireless Carrier
    By Mazzoccoli in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-17-2002, 09:43 AM
  4. The Euro is growing rapidly ! ...
    By gioro_t in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2002, 11:27 PM
  5. Why AT&T is #1?
    By Baby Jingles in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2002, 12:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks