Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The need for screen protectors

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I use tempered glass protectors on my phones (and the family's phones). More as breakage protection than scratch worries.

While I tend to not have issues, it's cheap protection.
    (2 in my LG G2 in 3 year)

The kids (15 and 24) tend to need replacements every few months. I'd sure hate to be replacing screens or phones that often.
    Same here. My dad had a tempered glass protector on his J7 Sky Pro S727VL for about a year and half till he made a mistake by putting his phone with a wall charger in the same pocket. It left a good sized crack and starting of a hole, but the main screen and screen plastic was still good.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have broken several glass screen protectors on various phones. Presumably whatever happened would have damaged the screen. I'm not careless, but accidents happen.

Some notes:
    1. I much prefer glass over plastic
    2. I wouldn't spend $15 to protect a $100 phone
    3. You might mess up the first two or three that you put on before you get the hang of it.
    4. It's hard to do the screens with curved edges because the protectors won't stick to the curve. You have to find a protector that is narrow enough and be really good at lining up the protector.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    2. I wouldn't spend $15 to protect a $100 phone.
    That sums it up for me. The most I've ever paid for any phone is $110 (my LG Q6). Almost all of them have tough glass screen. I put a simple TPU case on each phone to protect against the accidental drops. Never had a scratched screen.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    2. I wouldn't spend $15 to protect a $100 phone
    I generally get 3 for ~$6.

But even then, $15 once for something you plan to use for 1.5-2 years is a small investment.

I don't like changing devices. Or even setting one back up (which is why I don't play with lits of different ROMs).
    So anything to help delay doing so is good to me.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That sums it up for me. The most I've ever paid for any phone is $110 (my LG Q6). Almost all of them have tough glass screen. I put a simple TPU case on each phone to protect against the accidental drops. Never had a scratched screen.
    I haven't used a screen protector on my last 3 phones, and I've had no issues with screen scratches or breakage. Two of them had Gorilla Glass, and one just had "glass".

I never even put a case on my $29.99 LG Phoenix 2 because it has a nice rubbery, textured, grippy back.

I really didn't want to use a case on my $30 Moto E4, either, but the plastic back on it is way too slippery not to use a thin TPU case for extra grip.

Anyway, I'd say a screen protector isn't necessary unless you're prone to dropping your phone and/or unless you're not careful about not carrying your phone in a pocket or purse with other objects that might scratch it. That's just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I generally get 3 for ~$6.

That's true for popular phones. If you have an obscure model, they run higher and if the first one doesn't fit, you have order again. Or you mess up and get some dirt underneath. Then you realize you spent $20 protecting a $100 phone and have a bunch of screen protectors that don't fit anything. (I have a box full of old screen protectors .)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's true for popular phones. If you have an obscure model, they run higher and if the first one doesn't fit, you have order again. Or you mess up and get some dirt underneath. Then you realize you spent $20 protecting a $100 phone and have a bunch of screen protectors that don't fit anything. (I have a box full of old screen protectors .)
    And WHY do you keep a box of old screen protectors that don't fit anything?

By the way, don't you DARE ask me why I still have (1) Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, (2) HTC Droid Incredible ADR6300, (2) HTC Droid Incredible 2 ADR6350, (1) LG G2 VS980, and (2) LG Phoenix 2 phones in my drawer! At least I did get rid of my even older (1) Ericsson AF738, (1) Qualcomm QCP 2760, and (1) LG VX-8600 phones! That represents every phone I've ever had, except now I have (2) Moto E4 XT1768 phones, one of which I use for my daily driver.

My boys, now in their early 20s, also still have the first 3 phones they ever had, and are now on their fourth devices. I don't know where they get that trait!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's true for popular phones. If you have an obscure model, they run higher and if the first one doesn't fit, you have order again. Or you mess up and get some dirt underneath.
    Well, getting cases for obscure models is a pain too.

I can tell about fit before actually sticking down. Doesn't fit, it goes back.

But I steer clear of obscure models

I have a $10 case and $6 for screen protectors for my $30 Moto E4+.

Similar for daughter's E4 ($30 verizon then $30 unlocked) and son's E5 ($30? net BF deal).

I have a more expensive (Otterbox) case on the $250 LG G2 that I used for 3 years (and wil use again if I ever get time to test current ROMs and if they got VoLTE working).

All cheap, but because of good deals not the normal price, and not readily replaced at the same price.

So, if you don't mind changing phones, and use cheap ones sure, forego the protectors/cases.

But I keep phones a long time and don't want to be scrambling to find a good deal because I broke my device. Sure, I have backup, but they aren't in use for a reason.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had been using cheap soft protectors (typically bought in six-packs or whatever) for my phones, but with the last phones I bought (last July 2018) I tried applying them and just couldn't get it, so I gave up (dust and whatever, no matter what I tried)! But I don't generally have any problems, and haven't with this crop yet, so no big deal for me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I tried applying them and just couldn't get it, so I gave up (dust and whatever, no matter what I tried)!
    Bathroom. Run the shower for a few minutes first. That pulls the dust out of the air really well.

Glass protectors are also a lot easier to place w/o bubbles than the plastic ones.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I had been using cheap soft protectors (typically bought in six-packs or whatever) for my phones, but with the last phones I bought (last July 2018) I tried applying them and just couldn't get it, so I gave up (dust and whatever, no matter what I tried)! But I don't generally have any problems, and haven't with this crop yet, so no big deal for me.
    Bathroom. Run the shower for a few minutes first. That pulls the dust out of the air really well.

Glass protectors are also a lot easier to place w/o bubbles than the plastic ones.
    Also, I've read that supposedly a piece of Scotch tape will pull lint off if you carefully peel back a screen protector that got some lint under it.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't like the feel of most smartphones without a screen protector. I find the surface is too slippery without one, I have trouble holding my phone.

Yeah, I pretty much always use one, with a TPU case. I spend over 3 hours a day using a phone, why would I want to be careful not to drop it for 1/5th of my life?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    I don't like the feel of most smartphones without a screen protector. I find the surface is too slippery without one, I have trouble holding my phone.
    I don't understand how a screen protector helps you with holding the phone. Do you pick up/hold your phone using the screen?

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I went bare with my GS7, which acquired a bunch of micro-scratches and 1 readily visible scratch over the course of 2 years. I went bare with my Essential PH-1 as well, and it picked up micro-scratches easier than the S7. When I got the Essential replaced under warranty, I made sure to install a tempered glass protector, and when I added an iPhone X I made sure to do the same. Better safe than sorry, IMO; screen protectors are cheap, phones are not.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Screen protectors do help when one is spraying hair spray or some kind of aerosol near the phone. Or opening healthy, sugar induced, soda and the fizz goes all over the phone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast