Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

The need for screen protectors

Since I keep most phones only about a year, I was wondering if it is necessary to even have a screen protector? What say you? My LG G3 ATT BYOP has one, and I have had that phone for 3 years as tracfone doesnt seem to offer any big screen ATT fones. Maybe my backup Verizon tracfone doesnt need one?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've been using smartphones since 2013 and have never put a screen protector on any of my phones. I carry my phone in my front jeans pocket, with no other items in that pocket. Screen never got scratched. I keep each phone about 2 years.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't much see the need for screen protectors, unless you are cramming the phone into a pants pocket with hard stuff in it. Even with plastic screens, I never scratched one. It will not much protect against breakage either. You need some kind of case for that. Only tried a glass screen protector once, and it was not as smudge resistant as a Gorilla glass screen. Maybe that has improved.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    Since I keep most phones only about a year, I was wondering if it is necessary to even have a screen protector? What say you? My LG G3 ATT BYOP has one, and I have had that phone for 3 years as tracfone doesnt seem to offer any big screen ATT fones. Maybe my backup Verizon tracfone doesnt need one?
    Depends on your propensity to scratch and break screens. I have never needed one. I know other people who really do.

I don't buy expensive phones so they would not be a great loss, just inconvenient to have to replace.

I do keep my phones in a a case which takes care of most of the risk.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    First couple years yes. But now modern Gorilla Glass along with common sense no.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks folks! I am going to go commando with this new e5 I am getting. It will live in a hip holster on or off my belt.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

The need for screen protectors

Never, ever let your phone be scratched. It affects the resale value and may bug you if you hate scratches like me.

Always buy a screen protector. Order from Amazon Prime and get it the same time your phone arrives. Omoton is a good brand on Amazon. It has an easy to use application guide and comes with 3 or 4 glass protectors.

Or try Walmart. The Onn brand Glass is like $4.88 is OK but Blackweb Screen protectors from Walmart are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Never had one. No scratches yet.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I still have a friend that uses screen protectors because he has been able to damage a screen. If you want to know, that is why his old Moto Z Force got damaged, and he is now on a Moto Z2 Force. He has used three screen protectors, and I just helped him replace the camera lens part just today.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I still have a friend that uses screen protectors because he has been able to damage a screen. If you want to know, that is why his old Moto Z Force got damaged, and he is now on a Moto Z2 Force. He has used three screen protectors, and I just helped him replace the camera lens part just today.
    what is the "camera lens part"?

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    The z2 force has a plastic outer screen a "shatter shield" that's why it scratches easily.. Your post doesn't make much of a point.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On iPhones I think a screen protector ruins the oleophobic coating.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I use them, at $8 for two, why not..

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    The z2 force has a plastic outer screen a "shatter shield" that's why it scratches easily.. Your post doesn't make much of a point.

The issue with "shattershield" for the Z2 Force is they don't make replacement that you can replace it yourself. You must ship it to Motorola to get replaced. The "shattershield" for the Z Force was out of stock all the time it seemed, and the only option was shipping it off to Motorola. My friend had a Moto Droid Turbo 2 that he never had to replace the "shattershield" on it.

When his Z Force screen broke with a black spots, the warranty would not replace it since the "shattershield" was damage. So he had to go back to his Droid Turbo 2. Then the battery for on the Turbo 2 finally died, and it would only last 10 minutes. He got the Z2 Force to replace it. He is still using the Z2 Force, but he uses a screen protector on it. So far, it has saved the "shattershield" and the screen so far. I just had to help him replace the outside len for the back cameras because it finally got damaged.

So even tho a screen glass says it is unbreakable does not mean it is really unbreakable.

If you want to know why he has to use "tough" phones is he is diesel tech, and at the time these was the only phones that support Verizon that other diesel tech can use without breaking.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 07-10-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I use tempered glass protectors on my phones (and the family's phones). More as breakage protection than scratch worries.

While I tend to not have issues, it's cheap protection.
    (2 in my LG G2 in 3 year)

The kids (15 and 24) tend to need replacements every few months. I'd sure hate to be replacing screens or phones that often.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast