Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The need for screen protectors

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    And now something from the perfect timing department... I was out for a walk yesterday, and though I’ve never broken a phone & almost never drop them, somehow I caught my phone case’s lip caught on the wallet bulge in my pocket as my arm swung past. Twice. My phone was knocked out of my hand and tumbled to the asphalt. The screen protector shattered on the 2nd drop - I’m convinced it saved my iPhone X’s screen
    Last edited by turbogeek; 07-13-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Grammar

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Just to clarify what I said above, despite no issues ever so far with scratching or breaking a phone screen, if I ever get a phone worth $100+, I will for sure get a good plastic or glass screen protector for it, in addition to a TPU case, even if it would be "grippy" enough without one, just for protection.

Feedback Score
    I carry in an empty rear pocket for years now. With TPU, OtterBox, Ballastic & other case with no screensavers ever. No problems. I sit on my phones on purpose no problems. But I only buy sturdy phones all LG's or Motos. Last time I used screensavers must be 10yrs ago.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't understand how a screen protector helps you with holding the phone. Do you pick up/hold your phone using the screen?
    Yes... all the time. In fact, without a screen protector, typing was awkward because my thumbs would slide across the keys

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    In fact, without a screen protector, typing was awkward because my thumbs would slide across the keys
    The olephobic coating is supposed to make a slick surface to avoid smudges from hand oils. I have a cheap backup phone with no glass coating, and it's difficult to keep clean. Screen protectors don't have very good coatings like Gorilla Glass does.

No way I can type with my thumbs. Some apps have dedicated small keyboards that don't rotate, so I use a stylus. Hard to find one that has a small enough tip for precision on a phone.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    No way I can type with my thumbs. Some apps have dedicated small keyboards that don't rotate, so I use a stylus. Hard to find one that has a small enough tip for precision on a phone.
    Not really. Look for replacements for phones like the Galaxy Note or LG Stylo
    https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382895623669

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223428743688

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Also, I've read that supposedly a piece of Scotch tape will pull lint off if you carefully peel back a screen protector that got some lint under it.
    A lot of screen protectors come with Lint removal stickers which work like your Scotch Tape. I find a Large Camera Lens puffer to come in Handy to puff away dust right before application and I also have a lens brush for larger screens. Hate when you trap your me piece of lint under the tempered glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    And now something from the perfect timing department... I was out for a walk yesterday, and though I’ve never broken a phone & almost never drop them, somehow I caught my phone case’s lip caught on the wallet bulge in my pocket as my arm swung past. Twice. My phone was knocked out of my hand and tumbled to the asphalt. The screen protector shattered on the 2nd drop - I’m convinced it saved my iPhone X’s screen
    OK, pardon my ignorance. I see a screen protector as a thin piece of plastic film you put on your fone screen to protect it from scratches. Am I missing something????? "...the screen protector shattered...."

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    I see a screen protector as a thin piece of plastic film you put on your fone screen to protect it from scratches.
    Tempered glass screen protectors.

https://www.mr-shield.com/pages/glass-instruction

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    OK, pardon my ignorance. I see a screen protector as a thin piece of plastic film you put on your fone screen to protect it from scratches. Am I missing something????? "...the screen protector shattered...."
    Long discussion on plastic vs glass screen protectors. (Don't think they actually resolved anything, but offers some good perspective.)

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...act-on-a-phone

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Plastic film protectors are indeed only good for scratch protection primarily, and maybe very light direct impact dispersion.

But I can see how a tempered glass protector, with some level of strong adhesion to the surface, could even offer protection against edge-drop incidents. When that layer (the protector) shatters, that IS its energy dispersion deformation action, and film protectors have nothing like that to offer.

I've never used tempered glass, and now don't even use plastic film types currently. But then I don't use devices that cost more than $70 or so.

Feedback Score
    I have a MOTO E4. I don't need a screen protector but looking for that kind of rubbery case/cover that kind of stretches over the phone. Real thin. E4 is slick and just want something grippy that isn't bulky. Had one on an old LG Dare. Is that TPU ? When I search TPU on Ebay some of the cases just seem like bulky snap on things. Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I have a MOTO E4. I don't need a screen protector but looking for that kind of rubbery case/cover that kind of stretches over the phone. Real thin. E4 is slick and just want something grippy that isn't bulky. Had one on an old LG Dare. Is that TPU ? When I search TPU on Ebay some of the cases just seem like bulky snap on things. Thanks.
    I know we talked about this before in the E4 thread, but the following still seems to be the best currently available, although the price has gone up to $7.99.

You have to be careful buying cases for the E4, since the E4 European model is different, and their cases don't fit the US E4 properly

The "Motorola Moto E4 Case, Sfmn 2-Pack Carbon Fiber Brushed Texture Soft TPU Full-Body Protective Cover Phone Case for Moto E 4th Generation USA Version XT1768 (Black+Blue)", for $5.21 for the two-pack from www.amzn.com/B07P9CYL24, are very good. All the cutouts are in the right place and it provides a nice lip around the screen to protect it, although, of course, that adds bulk. I'm also pleased with the color of the blue one, which is a nice dark navy blue, and the actual color looks better to me than in the picture on Amazon. For $2.60 each ($5.21/2), I can't complain.

Feedback Score
    I know we talked about this before in the E4 thread, but the following still seems to be the best currently available, although the price has gone up to $7.99.

You have to be careful buying cases for the E4, since the E4 European model is different, and their cases don't fit the US E4 properly
    Thanks Boz1. I was hoping you'd remember. I thought I saved that link but I never followed up then couldn't find the thread or link. Those are just those rubbery stretch ones right?....(since the description also says carbon fiber). Thanks!!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I have a MOTO E4. I don't need a screen protector but looking for that kind of rubbery case/cover that kind of stretches over the phone. Real thin. E4 is slick and just want something grippy that isn't bulky. Is that TPU ?
    This is the TPU case that I used when I had my Moto E4.

Name:  Moto-E4-Ebay-5a.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  Moto-E4-ebay-6a.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  Moto-E4-ebay-7a.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  Moto-E4-ebay-8a.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  30.0 KB