Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The need for screen protectors

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Thanks Boz1. I was hoping you'd remember. I thought I saved that link but I never followed up then couldn't find the thread or link. Those are just those rubbery stretch ones right?....(since the description also says carbon fiber). Thanks!!
    It's like a flexible soft plastic. It's pretty much like any low-cost TPU case. I don't know what the "carbon fiber" part means.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    This is the TPU case that I used when I had my Moto E4.
    Do you have a link to buy that case?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Do you have a link to buy that case?
    I don't have a link to the one I bought in 2018. If you search Ebay for "Moto E4 clear TPU case", then sort by Price+Shipping, you'll find one LIKE THIS .

Feedback Score
    It's like a flexible soft plastic. It's pretty much like any low-cost TPU case. I don't know what the "carbon fiber" part means.
    Carbon fiber is used as a light weight strengthening material embedded in the soft plastic. It is very rigid, so is likely used in short strands to maintain some flexibility and shock absorbing ability.

Feedback Score
    The kind I'd like to find I had years ago on an LG Dare. It was actually just like one piece vacuformed rubber that stretched around the case sides and back. It didn't have cut outs for the buttons. Just kind of bumps sticking further out at those locations so if you pressed there it would activate the button. Only cut outs for the camera and headphone jack.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    You have to be careful buying cases for the E4, since the E4 European model is different, and their cases don't fit the US E4 properly
    And they don't always specify.
    Got one here that just said E4, but it the EU version.

Has rear opening for speaker on EU version and the headphone jack opening is wrong. (Also different noise cancelling mic location)

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    But I can see how a tempered glass protector, with some level of strong adhesion to the surface, could even offer protection against edge-drop incidents. When that layer (the protector) shatters, that IS its energy dispersion deformation action, and film protectors have nothing like that to offer.
    The kids have broken several screen protectors with impacts. While I can't prove the screen would have cracked w/o them I know how many cracks they got with phones before using the protectors. And none with a protector on.
    (It is important to replace a cracked protector though. The boy did crack a screen with a severely cracked protector. He was lazy and didn't replace it. He go to buy a new screen instead)
    I've never used tempered glass, and now don't even use plastic film types currently. But then I don't use devices that cost more than $70 or so.
    As mentioned I paid $30 for it but it usually sells for over $100.

Worth $6 to bot have to change devices even if I could find a similar deal easily (unlikely)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Long discussion on plastic vs glass screen protectors. (Don't think they actually resolved anything, but offers some good perspective.)

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...act-on-a-phone
    I think the one about spreading the impact covers it.

Most drops aren't onto smooth surfaces. So you get high pressure impact points. The glass protector spreads that out. The point force may crack the protector but it spreads it out on the actual screen.

Try it yourself. Put a 2x4 on your chest and have someone hit it. Then move the board and take the same strike. Then try with a wider board (2x6, 2x8, piece of plywood). The larger area spreads the impact more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post

Try it yourself. Put a 2x4 on your chest and have someone hit it. Then move the board and take the same strike. Then try with a wider board (2x6, 2x8, piece of plywood). The larger area spreads the impact more.
    Urrrg. No need to try that. Currently recovering from a sports injury where the impact was not spread out enough!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Sometimes (often?) with a typical TPU case they'll have a finish option that looks like carbon fiber, but is actually just a finish look. Like matte as opposed to glossy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4