Thread: The Future Isn't Friendly™ - What a trainwreck...

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score

The Future Isn't Friendly™ - What a trainwreck...

So we finally get to see Rogers' handling of the financing model, and it looks like they have put a lot more thought and care into their offering - subsidy options remain, true '$0 upfront' phones, and the choice of a longer financing term to reduce the monthly device charge.

Telus has been making some REALLY bad decisions the last few years:
    • paying for exclusivity on the Essential PH-1 (even though the phone eventually turned out great, out of the gate it had serious software and pricing issues, and reportedly sold absolutely terribly)
    • allegedly shipping 700K worth of iPhone X's to some warehouse in BC with a complete lack of due diligence
    • bringing back activation fees (pay for the 'privilege' of becoming a customer)
    • increasing pretty much every charge and fee they could, including upping 10/60 customers twice as much as every other carrier
    • the Bring it Back program which (IMO) will cause a lot of additional friction at renewal time

Now add to that the way the recent changes have been handled:
    • charging the tax up front even though every other Canadian carrier (including Telus-owned Koodo) manages not to
    • every line at least $60 (4+ line account)-$75/mo. unless they are effectively data non-users
    • no Can/Us plans, killing the snowbird, 'border town', and business traveler markets for the time being
    • minimal discounts on most devices meaning customers feel the full brunt of the (marked-up) retail price plus the overpriced Canadian plan

Unlimited plans (while a welcome start) kill the profitability of data overage 'whales', the prices push away the average data-shy (as conditioned by these carriers with over a decade of prohibitively expensive data) customers, and those that remain, when faced with upping their plan and still paying the full price of a handset, may opt to buy used, manufacturer direct (where it retails noticeably cheaper), or outright without recontracting.

I hope Telus has an exceptionally bad quarter, heads roll in management, and they wake up as a customer-hungry actual competitor like T-Mobile down south.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Well-said. Lots of great points here. Agree that the current offering is garbage. They wouldn't even renew my Canada/US plan from a couple years ago, and the current BYOD version of it is more than I paid with a device subsidy a couple years ago.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the gouging from Telus specifically will start to get noticed by users. Rogers surprisingly isn't as bad for this and have more modest pricing when compared. US/Canada plans? Check. Sharable unlimited data plans? Check. Roaming like home cheaper than Telus? Check. Multi-device discounts? Check.

Feedback Score
    I told Telus Mobility bye bye after more than 20 years.
    So glad I left...

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by todd.letcher View Post
    I told Telus Mobility bye bye after more than 20 years.
    So glad I left...
    I did the same a couple of years ago. I wish more people acted instead of just complaining.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Koodo just got worse too

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/26/k...-cancel-early/

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    I don't have a huge problem with Koodo's move; just protecting themselves from an increasing amount of abuse. Somebody always has to ruin it for the rest of us...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    I don't have a huge problem with Koodo's move; just protecting themselves from an increasing amount of abuse. Somebody always has to ruin it for the rest of us...
    Prior to this recent change, the Koodo terms allowed customers to pay off their tab after 90 days. Now they are saying those people also abused the system because they didn't wait until the full 24 months. I am really going to cry them a rivers.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    I agree. I'm actually surprised they would have had such a gaping loophole to begin with.