Thread: default security pin/passcode and account number on newly ported-in numbers

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

default security pin/passcode and account number on newly ported-in numbers

I have a phone number that has been on Page Plus at least twice previously. Later today, I am going to be porting it back to Page Plus for a third visit on the standard PAYG plan.

About a year ago, they changed both the account number and the default security pin. Previously, the 10-digit phone number was used as the Page Plus account number, and the last four digits of the phone number were used as the default security pin.

As of approximately June 2018, the account number is now the IMEI or ESN of the phone, and the default security pin is 1234 for all new lines. Is this still in effect in July 2019?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Someone posted a link in one of the threads on the different carrier account number/pin's. Can't find it now but what was listed for Page Plus matched what has always been fact for many years and as recently for me as a month ago. Account number is 10 digit phone number. PIN is last 4 of the phone number unless you changed it. I think Page Plus changes the PIN after a certain amount of time if you don't change it. (To what I don't know). But just call or go into chat with them. They'll ask you a couple security questions to make sure it's you (like your last refill date) and reset whatever PIN you want.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What they're doing should be absolutely criminal. I'm experienced with their idiocy, so I know how to handle it, but they are defaulting to security pin 1234 on all newly ported-in numbers and not disclosing this information to anyone, anywhere - not on their website, not over the phone, not anywhere.

If you attempt a port-in and you have any difficultly and call for help or use online customer service chat and you don't know the passcode is 1234, you are completely screwed.

This particular phone number originated on AT&T TDMA in 2002, before the Cingular merger and before number porting was allowed between carriers starting in July 2003. It was first ported from Verizon to Page Plus on September 16, 2012. It remained on Page Plus for approximately five years when it was ported out to Sprint in 2017. It was then ported to Page Plus on May 9, 2018 and back to Sprint within a day or two. It was then ported to Page Plus again on July 9, 2018 and back to Sprint within a day or two (same process). It was then ported to Page Plus for a fourth time on July 10, 2019. I gave all this information to the phone rep yesterday and also added, "I just ported this number in today and I never had an opportunity to establish a new security pin because the website wasn't processing the port properly, which is the only reason why I'm talking to you now."

After providing all the specific information I just described, the response I got was, "I'm sorry, but the information you have provided is not correct." I don't know which part of the detail I provided is no longer in their system, but I'm confident that all the information I provided is 100% dead on accurate.

I explained the security pin is either the last four digits of the phone number (and I stated them, X-X-X-X), or 1-2-3-4, whatever you clowns decide. Then I was allowed to proceed and get everything working properly.

So yeah, the default passcode is now 1234 on newly activated lines.

As for the account number, I haven't tried to port out so I'm not entirely sure, but I'd put money on IMEI they have registered and associated with the phone number. If you've never swapped the sim into a different device, it should be the IMEI of the active phone, but if you've changed devices simply by moving the PagePlus/Tracfone SIM card, it could be either device's IMEI, depending on whether their system has updated properly or not.

The only reason Page Plus is appealing is because they still offer the PAYG plan for $10 every 120 days. It's similar to the T-Mobile $3/monthly plan, but the dollars accumulate if you don't use them, which makes it slightly better. Except for the porting/activation process. TF and Carlos Slim should be absolutely ashamed of what they've done to this once proud mid-western startup company. And I'm saying this as someone who has come to expect very little from cell phone providers, but Page Plus is truly in a class by itself for incompetence and indifference to the customer.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    If you attempt a port-in and you have any difficultly and call for help or use online customer service chat and you don't know the passcode is 1234, you are completely screwed.
    The default passcode may now be 1234. Back in January after getting all new VoLTE capable phones I never changed the PINs. Then one day I had to ask them about something and they asked for my phone number and PINs. Giving them the last 4 of my new phones numbers they said it wasn't correct. "But I wasn't screwed." They simply asked me what the last replenish date was on each phone or when the phone "number" was originally activated. They may have also sent a text code for me to confirm; I don't recall. They then set my PIN to whatever I wanted. No problem.

In June I needed to confirm my due dates and balances because I got what turned out to be an error email that my balance had expired on one of the phones. They just asked for the phone number and the PIN (which was the ones I created back in January). Never asked for an IMEI. All was good.

Every time I ever have a chat with them on anything I always reconfirm that their system auto updates the IMEI/SIM (phone number) pairing. They even said it doesn't matter if you swap a SIM that came in a branded (ie Tracfone) phone to a BYOP phone. So far no issues.

I agree there's no mention anywhere I've seen that the new default PIN on new phones is 1234. That was likely my issue back in January. Talking to any rep at any company is a crap shoot. Ask 5 reps the same question you'll get 5 different answers, and that includes reps at Verizon directly. Have had great reps at PP and I've a duds. Same with Verizon direct when I was with them. But regardless of rep at PP, I've always been told that the IMEI/SIM auto updates. They even tell you just to swap SIMs if you get a new phone to replace an old one. (assuming same SIM size). That there's no need to call them to update their system IMEI/SIM pairing.

I guess time will tell if that info's bogus.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    The default passcode may now be 1234. Back in January after getting all new VoLTE capable phones I never changed the PINs. Then one day I had to ask them about something and they asked for my phone number and PINs. Giving them the last 4 of my new phones numbers they said it wasn't correct. "But I wasn't screwed." They simply asked me what the last replenish date was on each phone or when the phone "number" was originally activated. They may have also sent a text code for me to confirm; I don't recall. They then set my PIN to whatever I wanted. No problem.
    You weren't screwed because your phone was already active and you could give them an accurate last replenishment date that their system found agreeable. My problem was a combination of (A) phone wasn't active, and (B) had just been ported in, so there was no accurate replenishment date because when I was asked for exactly that and I told them, "today when I ported in," I was told that information was incorrect. That's when I rattled off the three previous exact dates the phone number in question had previously been ported into Page Plus, because the other question I was asked was for the activation date of this line. Upon being told, "July 10, 2019 is incorrect," I provided the three previous dates. I don't know what else they could expect me to tell them in reponse to that question???

It doesn't matter if the rep you get is smart or not. They are trained to read from scripts and they are also trained to never stray from the scripts. That makes them not smart by default, because they're not allowed to think or make exceptions to arbitrary rules that hinder their ability to provide decent service. The other bits of information that have been used in the past for security confirmation in absence of a four-digit pin, recent called numbers and sending a text code to the phone to confirm I had possession of the device, were also not available to me under the circumstances. If I didn't give them 1234 as the passcode, I would have never gotten it activated on their network, and I also wouldn't have been able to port out. If you don't consider that being totally screwed, I'm wondering what it would take for you.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just related my experiences. Sorry.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sorry I didn't mean to fight. I've had many experiences with Page Plus similar to what you have described. The circumstances were simply different in this case.