Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62

Thread: Phone to work with Verizon prepaid

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    968
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >I wonder if there is any way to confirm which features will or won't be available on a specific phone before buying it.

    Search: [carrier name] [phone model] volte|"wifi calling"

    http://google.com/search?&q=verizon+moto+g4+plus+volte

    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4...E/td-p/3387595

    Shows that Moto G4 Plus can have VoLTE on VZW.

    http://google.com/search?&q=verizon+..."wifi+calling"

    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4...e/td-p/3369757

    But it doesn't have wifi calling.

    Generally speaking, if you want advanced calling features, buy a branded phone. Non-carrier-branded phones (except iPhones) will typically miss some or all carrier-specific features. This is of course intentional, as carriers want you to buy their phones and be tied into their ecosystem. The carrier-specific features are an incentive.

    Second, VoLTE is generally more available on "universal" phones than wifi-calling, and varies per carrier. Availability also improves with time, ie newer models are more likely to be supported than older models.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >I wonder if there is any way to confirm which features will or won't be available on a specific phone before buying it.

    Search: [carrier name] [phone model] volte|"wifi calling"

    http://google.com/search?&q=verizon+moto+g4+plus+volte

    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4...E/td-p/3387595

    Shows that Moto G4 Plus can have VoLTE on VZW.

    http://google.com/search?&q=verizon+..."wifi+calling"

    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X4.../3948601#M1672

    But it doesn't have wifi calling.

    Generally speaking, if you want advanced calling features, buy a branded phone. Non-carrier-branded phones (except iPhones) will typically miss some or all carrier-specific features. This is of course intentional, as carriers want you to buy their phones and be tied into their ecosystem. The carrier-specific features are an incentive.

    Second, VoLTE is generally more available on "universal" phones than wifi-calling, and varies per carrier. Availability also improves with time, ie newer models are more likely to be supported than older models.
    Thanks. I will keep this in mind when deciding what to buy.

    I like the idea of an unlocked phone on principal. However, given that Verizon is the service provider with the best coverage in my area (I think US Cellular is next) I probably wouldn't be switching to another company anyway so I should probably consider Verizon branded phones as an option.
    I can't believe I made a typo when entering my screen name....

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    607
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by itssjustme View Post
    Thanks. I will keep this in mind when deciding what to buy.

    I like the idea of an unlocked phone on principal. However, given that Verizon is the service provider with the best coverage in my area (I think US Cellular is next) I probably wouldn't be switching to another company anyway so I should probably consider Verizon branded phones as an option.
    The VoLTE compatability list I saw on Boom! site had Moto G4Play XT1609 listed but XT1607 had an asterisk denoting it was questionable. I chose XT1607 because it had more bands. I knew it was a gamble using it with Verizon.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    607
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Did you recheck VoLTE in the hidden menu? The network type or APN settings? Maybe they need reset after the SIM swaps.
    I did check it. When the TMobile SIM is in, I have VoLTE settings enabled. When I put Selectel SIM in, it's gone. Both SIMs use vzwinternet as the APN.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    The VoLTE compatability list I saw on Boom! site had Moto G4Play XT1609 listed but XT1607 had an asterisk denoting it was questionable. I chose XT1607 because it had more bands. I knew it was a gamble using it with Verizon.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app
    I bought the G4 Play as my first smartphone back in early 2017 and the volte issue wasn't even on my radar at the time.

    It has been a good phone for me. But even without the upcoming Verizon volte deadline I would be looking at new phones because I need to move from 16gb to 32gb. Already have deleted some rarely used apps but still am pushing the limits.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by itssjustme View Post
    I bought the G4 Play as my first smartphone back in early 2017 and the volte issue wasn't even on my radar at the time.

    It has been a good phone for me. But even without the upcoming Verizon volte deadline I would be looking at new phones because I need to move from 16gb to 32gb. Already have deleted some rarely used apps but still am pushing the limits.
    I see that stores such as Best Buy and B&H are selling the Moto G7 series starting at around $199 but Verizon is still on the 6's. Also Verizon seems to still have a lot of 16gb phones.

    Does anyone know how long it usually takes for Verizon to have its version of newer phones?

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    386
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Have you tried posting in the Verizon prepaid thread since that's who you want to go with ?
    BTW, my unbranded "unlocked" Moto E4 (xt1768)...not the Verizon branded E4 (XT1767); has never had any issue with VoLTE, VVM, or anything. Maybe no wifi calling, but that's because my Vzw MVNO doesn't support it, and I don't care about that anyway.

    But like I mentioned above, I did need to make sure VoLTE was set in the hidden menu. Have you even checked that after your SIM swapping from T-Mobile ?

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Have you tried posting in the Verizon prepaid thread since that's who you want to go with ?
    BTW, my unbranded "unlocked" Moto E4 (xt1768)...not the Verizon branded E4 (XT1767); has never had any issue with VoLTE, VVM, or anything. Maybe no wifi calling, but that's because my Vzw MVNO doesn't support it, and I don't care about that anyway.

    But like I mentioned above, I did need to make sure VoLTE was set in the hidden menu. Have you even checked that after your SIM swapping from T-Mobile ?
    I posted in the general forum because I figured people who use Verizon MVNO's (not just Verizon's own prepaid) are affected by the same volte issue and might also be looking for new phones.

    The Moto E4 is newer than the G4 Play so it may have come with additional features.

    I don't normally need wifi calling but recently I was in a place where it would have been useful so I'm considering that for my next phone.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    607
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by itssjustme View Post
    I bought the G4 Play as my first smartphone back in early 2017 and the volte issue wasn't even on my radar at the time.

    It has been a good phone for me. But even without the upcoming Verizon volte deadline I would be looking at new phones because I need to move from 16gb to 32gb. Already have deleted some rarely used apps but still am pushing the limits.
    I'm in the same spot as you are. I want 32GB as 16 is now cramped for me. My husband has a Moto E4 w/VoLTE and my granddaughter got a Moto G4+ w/VoLTE. I'm not sure which I will choose but I'd like to stay with Moto unlocked. Good luck in your search. My area is best with Verizon also.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    386
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by itssjustme View Post
    I posted in the general forum because I figured people who use Verizon MVNO's (not just Verizon's own prepaid) are affected by the same volte issue and might also be looking for new phones.

    The Moto E4 is newer than the G4 Play so it may have come with additional features.

    I don't normally need wifi calling but recently I was in a place where it would have been useful so I'm considering that for my next phone.
    I specifically pointed out the unbranded "factory unlocked" because there's been comments in this thread and others that branded Verizon phones are solid and unlocked have issues. I don't recall reading where an unbranded "factory" unlocked VoLTE compatible phone had issues. I do recall that some branded unlocked Verizon pre-paid phones do though.

    From reading different threads it also seems the whole wifi calling ability differs as much between even Verizon MVNOs as it does what kind of phone.

    Wait till 4G/LTE is turned off and we'll be having these same discussions about finding a 5G phone. Hopefully by then it'll be any phone for any carrier. Just like a landline.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I specifically pointed out the unbranded "factory unlocked" because there's been comments in this thread and others that branded Verizon phones are solid and unlocked have issues. I don't recall reading where an unbranded "factory" unlocked VoLTE compatible phone had issues. I do recall that some branded unlocked Verizon pre-paid phones do though.

    From reading different threads it also seems the whole wifi calling ability differs as much between even Verizon MVNOs as it does what kind of phone.

    Wait till 4G/LTE is turned off and we'll be having these same discussions about finding a 5G phone. Hopefully by then it'll be any phone for any carrier. Just like a landline.
    Well, the factory unlocked G4 Play we've been discussing can have volte on TMobile but not Verizon.

    Maybe the fact that your newer E didn't have issues is an indicator that Verizon has become more generous with the features it will activate on unlocked phones.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    386
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by itssjustme View Post
    Well, the factory unlocked G4 Play we've been discussing can have volte on TMobile but not Verizon.

    Maybe the fact that your newer E didn't have issues is an indicator that Verizon has become more generous with the features it will activate on unlocked phones.
    Sorry. I didn't recall yours is a "factory" unlocked. So many variables. I do too much jumping around threads on similar topics. I'll never say anything 100%, just my experience and what I read. Come the end of the year when Verizon gets it figured out and throws some switches I may have a rude awakening even on my E4.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Discussion indicates wifi calling is not available on some unlocked Moto phones on Verizon, but some other phone brands do have it.

    https://community.verizonwireless.co...s/td-p/1007924

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Sorry. I didn't recall yours is a "factory" unlocked. So many variables. I do too much jumping around threads on similar topics. I'll never say anything 100%, just my experience and what I read. Come the end of the year when Verizon gets it figured out and throws some switches I may have a rude awakening even on my E4.
    No worries, it's hard to keep straight who said what about which phone.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    607
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by itssjustme View Post
    No worries, it's hard to keep straight who said what about which phone.
    So waiting to get a new phone might be best rather than preparing for the 3G shutdown and buying one now? I wondered about that.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can a phone with a bad ESN be fixed to work with Verizon/PP?
    By justme55 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 02:36 PM
  2. How can I get the Lollipop phone to work with verizon
    By kimbelrylinn in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
  3. How can I get the Lollipop phone to work with verizon
    By kimbelrylinn in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 06:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks