Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Google fi and international roaming questions

Since I've heard about project fi supporting international roaming i might want to give them a try when i visit Canada this month since "unlimited" high speed data (15gb or less) is $80 compaired to $75 usd for 3-5gb of data in canada.. now would this plan work in a Samsung S10? If it will work (even if not officially supported) would it default to T-Mobile? Looking for the most amount of data in canada since i won't be able to use wifi for the day and am gonna take a day trip... I wanna live stream a little while I'm there and Verizon only give me 200mb per day for up to 5 days in a billing cycle included in my plan.. if this isn't the best plan are their better options? I know T-Mobile only gives 5GB in canada max as well...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    Since I've heard about project fi supporting international roaming i might want to give them a try when i visit Canada this month since "unlimited" high speed data (15gb or less) is $80 compaired to $75 usd for 3-5gb of data in canada.. now would this plan work in a Samsung S10? If it will work (even if not officially supported) would it default to T-Mobile? Looking for the most amount of data in canada since i won't be able to use wifi for the day and am gonna take a day trip... I wanna live stream a little while I'm there and Verizon only give me 200mb per day for up to 5 days in a billing cycle included in my plan.. if this isn't the best plan are their better options? I know T-Mobile only gives 5GB in canada max as well...

The S10 will work as long as it is unlocked. You may not get some Fi specific features like auto connect WiFi VPN but the basics will work.

You will not be defaulting to Tmobile in Canada. When on Fi internationally, it will connect to a local carrier. In Canada it connects to all 3 major carriers, whichever has best signal.

ATT prepaid might be another option. Their 3 higher cost plans include roaming in Canada.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by persim View Post
    The S10 will work as long as it is unlocked. You may not get some Fi specific features like auto connect WiFi VPN but the basics will work.

You will not be defaulting to Tmobile in Canada. When on Fi internationally, it will connect to a local carrier. In Canada it connects to all 3 major carriers, whichever has best signal.

ATT prepaid might be another option. Their 3 higher cost plans include roaming in Canada.
    Ok that's good... Att prepaid has roaming in canada? On what plans?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    "Their 3 higher cost plans include roaming in Canada."

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    And if you go there there is a table with what is offered in each plan.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    And if you go there there is a table with what is offered in each plan.
    Ok just checked and they only offer 2G speeds in canada or 64kbps equivalent speed so for the price it isn't worth it ($55 for 8gb)... Are there any other options? I'm going to contact google fi and see what their limits are but canada is seriously the worst place for data it seems

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think I've read someplace that the speeds haven't been limited yet. But the last time I was in Canada I was on a limited ATT Postpaid account without "free" roaming so I had my phone in airplane mode.

The Verizon Prepaid I'm on now doesn't include "free" roaming in Canada. $5/day.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    Ok just checked and they only offer 2G speeds in canada or 64kbps equivalent speed so for the price it isn't worth it ($55 for 8gb)... Are there any other options? I'm going to contact google fi and see what their limits are but canada is seriously the worst place for data it seems
    Where did you see that? Can you post a link? I thought there was a discussion here a few weeks ago where it was determined that AT&T roamed in Canada at full LTE speeds.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The fine print says international data speed may be reduced to 2g speeds. So no guarantees that speeds will be faster. And no guarantees that it won’t support faster.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    The fine print says international data speed may be reduced to 2g speeds. So no guarantees that speeds will be faster. And no guarantees that it won’t support faster.
    Ya that's correct i saw that too.. but my guess is they would classify 2G as 64 or 128 kbps data speed which is basically unusable for me to even stream some video to facebook live and such places

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    https://www.att.com/prepaid/walmart-...rc=aw.ds#legal indicates that the LTE portion of the included data is full speed in Canada and Mexico.

The only mention of reduced speeds I see is for AFTER the LTE portion is used up, and then it's "speeds are reduced to a max of 128 Kbps for rest of 30 day term."

In fact, the above link actually says "Data: Includes 8GB of high-speed data and 17GB of bonus data usage in the U.S., Mexico & Canada."

I'm not saying that AT&T doesn't have contradictory info, because I only checked the first link I found (above) but again, please post a LINK to where you see "they only offer 2G speeds in canada or 64kbps equivalent speed" because that's NOT what it says at the link above, as far as I can tell.

Also, as for "The fine print says international data speed may be reduced to 2g speeds", it looks to me like AT&T is classifying US, Canada, and Mexico together, and international separately, although that seems odd, since it doesn't look like that plan includes any international usage outside of Canada and Mexico.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Maybe I just found one source of the confusion, which is AT&T's poor/confusing communication, or maybe just adding wording so they CAN throttle speeds in the future if they want.

I just found https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...on-AT-amp-T-MX that includes images of a text from AT&T indicating that they could throttle speeds in Canada and Mexico, but that thread also includes reports from real users that they are still getting LTE speeds in Canada on AT&T Prepaid.