Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    No compass, no NFC.

Finding glass screen protectors that fit has been tricky.

Plenty of cases though.

Chris, you can still use the power button to wake/sleep. With the right apps you can add double tap to wake/sleep.
    That's good info....What is NFC? Power button is small and hard to press on many fones for old people. I will make a note out of the double tap.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    What is NFC?
    NFC=Near-Field Communication. It allows two electronic devices to communicate wirelessly within a short distance, somewhat like Bluetooth. It's mainly used to make payment from a phone without carrying/dragging out your credit card. You put the phone near the credit card reader and the encrypted card info is transmitted to the reader.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    NFC=Near-Field Communication. It allows two electronic devices to communicate wirelessly within a short distance, somewhat like Bluetooth. It's mainly used to make payment from a phone without carrying/dragging out your credit card. You put the phone near the credit card reader and the encrypted card info is transmitted to the reader.
    You are my teacher, today, hpham! As an RF guy from the last century, I wondered if it was possible that in bluetooth range you could turn a cell phone into a kind of walkie talkie, even through the house wifi, for instance. Call it a husband or kid finder.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You are my teacher, today, hpham! As an RF guy from the last century,
    It's RFID tech. I can scan the RFID tag in my ID badge for work with my phone just like the pads at the door.

Can be used to send small amounts of data, like a contact or URL or initiate a large transfer over wifi.

I wondered if it was possible that in bluetooth range you could turn a cell phone into a kind of walkie talkie, even through the house wifi, for instance. Call it a husband or kid finder.
    Don't know about BT, but I know of apps that use wifi/data for that.

I've used Zello and it works well.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Power button is small and hard to press on many fones for old people. I will make a note out of the double tap.
    Cases can help. The case on my E4+ gives a much larger button than the phone has.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's good info....What is NFC? Power button is small and hard to press on many fones for old people. I will make a note out of the double tap.
    What do you consider 'old'?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't get the attraction to need to whip out my smartphone at a pay terminal, vs. whipping out a little plastic card that's much more discreet in that moment.

Maybe if you're futuristic enough to imagine guys (and yourself) not carrying wallets with any stuff in them. But I think that's a-ways off, Mr. Jetson!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I don't get the attraction to need to whip out my smartphone at a pay terminal, vs. whipping out a little plastic card that's much more discreet in that moment.

Maybe if you're futuristic enough to imagine guys (and yourself) not carrying wallets with any stuff in them. But I think that's a-ways off, Mr. Jetson!
    Using NFC to pay for things are popular with the young people, who always have their phones in their hands. Me, at 62, I'm old-fashioned, I still use cash for most small items at stores; I use credit cards for big purchases and at the fuel pumps. I've used NFC only one time at McDonalds just for the novelty of it.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was using google pay until, somehow, the account was compromised and someone made payments with my account. I stopped after that. Can't figure out how someone got the creds but they did. I will just use my credit cards.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How about....

Name:  ezgif.com-resize.gif
Views: 108
Size:  1.70 MB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    Can't figure out how someone got the creds but they did. I will just use my credit cards.
    Yeh, because no one has ever stolen credit card info...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Whip out?

I either have my phone in hand or can get it easier than digging out my wallet then getting a card out (without dropping other stuff in my wallet, receipts mostly).

And NFC has a lot more uses than just payments.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 07-11-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That NFC payment stuff gives me the creeps.

My CC company once sent me a key fob with the passive chip in it. Being techno-curious, I used it at a gas pump. Worked scary well. No credentials required, as I recall. Scared the security piss out of me, so I destroyed the thing once I got home.

At least a CC asks for a zip code.

Now I think that my Capital One CC has one of those damn chips in it. The back of the card has one of those radiation wave symbols. So I leave that card at home.

Also, I heard that someone with a reader gizmo can get real close to you and read the CC information off your NFC gizmo. Like through a purse. So I used to wrap my CC in foil, no joke.

Don't modern passports have a chip?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Also, I heard that someone with a reader gizmo can get real close to you and read the CC information off your NFC gizmo. Like through a purse. So I used to wrap my CC in foil, no joke.
    I think the NFC chip on a CC is "live" all the time and can be "sniffed" as you mentioned. To pay from a phone using NFC, the phone's app has to be in "Pay" mode. I guess someone with a sniffer nearby can capture the info being sent by the phone, but NFC's range is very short, less than 4cm (about 1.5").

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    My CC company once sent me a key fob with the passive chip in it. Being techno-curious, I used it at a gas pump.

Now I think that my Capital One CC has one of those damn chips in it. The back of the card has one of those radiation wave symbols.
    Are you speaking about NFC chips or the common EMV chips on bank and credit cards? Gas stations around here don't even have card chip readers at the pump, and you still use the magnetic strip. I don't go to big retailers very much, so don't know what they have for pay options.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast