Thread: Flip phone to Smart phone plan options?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Flip phone to Smart phone plan options?

Trying to figure out what I can do with my elderly mother's flip phone that she doesn't use anymore. Mom was last using it for overseas calls but no longer needs it.
    Currently it's on the .10/min, $25/3 mo. plan. Listed as the $1 Daily Plan
    Account has a balance of $150+ and due for another $25 recharge.

Since it's pretty much useless to her now, I'm wondering if I can transfer the number to a new AT&T sim and use in a smartphone a) with or w/o changing plan, and/or b) w/o losing the balance?

I'm guessing if I don't change the plan (allowed?), I can keep the balance. I believe the plan includes data, I forget what the rate is.
    (Pay Per Use - 1˘ / 5 KB For Basic/Msg Phone)

Suggestions? Options? Basically trying to get some usage from the balance w/o losing it.

*Pretty sure the sim is a mini and won't fit in any of my smartphones. I have one or two micro sized GoPhones I think.
    ** Found the Update Device option on the site, and Change Plan - so I guess the question boils down to using/keeping the available balance.
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My elderly parents are also on the old 10 cent per minute plan. I transferred my mother's plan and minutes balance from a flip phone to my old iPhone. It did require a change in sims but I took it to a corporate AT&T store and they swapped the sim at no charge. Sims may also be purchased at WM, Best Buy etc and then call customer service to actvate the new sim on the new device/plan. She does not use data but is able to send texts at no charge via iMessage with family members using iPhones.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jagator View Post
    My elderly parents are also on the old 10 cent per minute plan. I transferred my mother's plan and minutes balance from a flip phone to my old iPhone. It did require a change in sims but I took it to a corporate AT&T store and they swapped the sim at no charge. Sims may also be purchased at WM, Best Buy etc and then call customer service to actvate the new sim on the new device/plan. She does not use data but is able to send texts at no charge via iMessage with family members using iPhones.
    I have some spare sims from old GoPhones, so I think I can just do it on the website under Update Device. What I'm considering is taking over the number/account and switching to a monthly plan with data. Is this something I SHOULDN'T do online? I just don't want to risk losing the balance. Maybe do it with a CS chat?
    And, I'm assuming, if I change plans I can apply the balance to the monthly bill. Only reason I ask is that someone on reddit said:
    You'll still need to continue adding refills before the balance expiration date (either the $25 every 3 months or $100 for a year) to avoid the balance expiring.
    That didn't make sense to me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've always had good luck calling and talking directly with customer service reps. They should be able to answer your questions and provide your best options.