Thread: T-mobile MVNO deals for porting in a phone #?

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score

T-mobile MVNO deals for porting in a phone #?

I'm currently on an AT&T MVNO and looking to switch to a T-mobile one. I'm looking at Mint Mobile currently, but I'm worried that my wife's inexpensive 2-year old phone (branded for AT&T service) will have a sub-par experience with things like VoLTE and possibly missing some Tmo bands.

I'm wondering if it makes sense first to port her current number to an MVNO that might give us a deal on a handset, then after using it for a month, port from there to Mint Mobile. Or just let the service die and get a new number on Mint, as honestly we don't use the real number anyway (Google Voice user).
    Any suggestions? Her current phone isn't anything fancy, it was under $100 on Cricket (run of the mill, Snapdragon 425, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage and 720HD display), so I'm hoping to find something that will cost me around the same price if not less.

Would things like Wifi calling and VOLTE work if it branded for a different MVNO than Mint? Or do I need a T-mobile branded handset for those features? Also I'm guessing I'll need a phone I can unlock via cheap code to switch between MVNOS, right?
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    I'm currently on an AT&T MVNO and looking to switch to a T-mobile one. I'm looking at Mint Mobile currently, but I'm worried that my wife's inexpensive 2-year old phone (branded for AT&T service) will have a sub-par experience with things like VoLTE and possibly missing some Tmo bands.

I'm wondering if it makes sense first to port her current number to an MVNO that might give us a deal on a handset, then after using it for a month, port from there to Mint Mobile. Or just let the service die and get a new number on Mint, as honestly we don't use the real number anyway (Google Voice user).
    Any suggestions? Her current phone isn't anything fancy, it was under $100 on Cricket (run of the mill, Snapdragon 425, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage and 720HD display), so I'm hoping to find something that will cost me around the same price if not less.

Would things like Wifi calling and VOLTE work if it branded for a different MVNO than Mint? Or do I need a T-mobile branded handset for those features? Also I'm guessing I'll need a phone I can unlock via cheap code to switch between MVNOS, right?
    Only actual MVNO that gives deals for phones with port in for T-Mobile is MetroPCS. But you must use the phone for 6 months before it’ll work on Mint mobile or any other MVNO or carrier.

Generally any T-Mobile /MetroPCS phones you should get WiFi calling on T-Mobile mvnos like Mint.

WiFi calling /volte won’t work on her current phone on any T-Mobile MVNO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Only actual MVNO that gives deals for phones with port in for T-Mobile is MetroPCS. But you must use the phone for 6 months before it’ll work on Mint mobile or any other MVNO or carrier.

Generally any T-Mobile /MetroPCS phones you should get WiFi calling on T-Mobile mvnos like Mint.

WiFi calling /volte won’t work on her current phone on any T-Mobile MVNO.

Awesome thanks!
    So to clarify, any phone from T-mobile or Metro will work on Mint with Wifi calling and VoLTE (as long as it does on those services)?

When you say it needs to be used for 6 months, do you mean until they will unlock it? What about a phone that I can purchase my own unlock code early?
    (many LG phones etc, have $2 unlock codes on ebay)
    Or are you saying that even if unlocked, T-mobile wouldn't let for 6 months?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Awesome thanks!
    So to clarify, any phone from T-mobile or Metro will work on Mint with Wifi calling and VoLTE (as long as it does on those services)?

When you say it needs to be used for 6 months, do you mean until they will unlock it? What about a phone that I can purchase my own unlock code early?
    (many LG phones etc, have $2 unlock codes on ebay)
    Or are you saying that even if unlocked, T-mobile wouldn't let for 6 months?
    Yes until they unlock it. But remember unlocking a metro or T-Mobile phone uses app not codes. It’s generally $20-$50 to get them unlocked and can take up to a week. Sometimes longer.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Yes until they unlock it. But remember unlocking a metro or T-Mobile phone uses app not codes. It’s generally $20-$50 to get them unlocked and can take up to a week. Sometimes longer.

I've never heard of that restriction with T-mobile phones. It has been a long time since I unlocked anything T-mobile branded, but there appear to be services on ebay for $5-10 for most major phones that will do it within minutes. Or at least, that's what they claim.

Feedback Score
    B&H Photovideo has unlocked Moto E4 Plus for $100 and includes Mint SIM preloaded for 3 months free:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...martphone.html
    No need for unlock codes. VoLTE and Wifi calling should work.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I've never heard of that restriction with T-mobile phones. It has been a long time since I unlocked anything T-mobile branded, but there appear to be services on ebay for $5-10 for most major phones that will do it within minutes. Or at least, that's what they claim.
    T-Mobile has been using this app unlock for the past several years.

Now some of the cheaper unlocks for $10 are generally for specific Samsung phones. And it requires using teamviewer and doing some weirdness remotely to your phone through your computer. Just eBay “T-Mobile app unlock” and there you can get an idea on pricing.

But none of the actual T-Mobile ones claim instant. Unless it’s a hotspot or flip phone then you can get the cheap unlocks for them

Feedback Score
    Google Fi still has unlocked Moto G6 for $99 with the requirement that you activate on Fi within 30 days of purchase. People have reported that they only need to use it on Fi for a few days before porting out.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user1name View Post
    B&H Photovideo has unlocked Moto E4 Plus for $100 and includes Mint SIM preloaded for 3 months free:
    I have a Moto G5 plus and VoLTE/wifi calling only work sometimes. Actually wifi calling never worked for me on mint. But you are right- it might just make more sense to find a phone like this or maybe a used one on eBay. The porting deals don't seem worth it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user1name View Post
    +1^. I was going to suggest a Motorola G6. Like new overstock units are going for as little as $109 on ebay. But if the lower end model E4 is sufficient the phone plus the Mint SIM is pretty unbeatable. Good catch!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philovance View Post
    +1^. I was going to suggest a Motorola G6. Like new overstock units are going for as little as $109 on ebay. But if the lower end model E4 is sufficient the phone plus the Mint SIM is pretty unbeatable. Good catch!
    I know what you quoted indicates this, but I just thought I'd clarify that the B&H deal is for a Moto E4 PLUS.