Thread: Motorola G5s Plus - Dual SIM Capable?????

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Motorola G5s Plus - Dual SIM Capable?????

I purchased a factory unlocked Motorola G5s Plus (Type M271C) over a year ago from a USA vendor. I thought it was capable of having dual SIM cards and I see lots of YouTube videos, mostly posted from India, that show how to install a second SIM and not give up your memory card.

I do not use a memory card, and have no desire for adding one, but with the addition of a new cell tower install in the neighborhood, I would like to add a second SIM card. Unfortunately when I pull out the SIM tray and examine it, the second nano SIM is too long to fit crosswise in the tray as shown in the videos. Looking on ebay I note there are trays available for the G5s Plus that will take two SIM cards.

Now for the question. Are all G5s Plus cell phones created equal and it is only a matter of using the correct tray, or is the tray that will take only one SIM a sign that there is only one set of SIM contacts inside the phone and I will be just wasting my money by purchasing a dual SIM tray?

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPan2 View Post
    I purchased a factory unlocked Motorola G5s Plus (Type M271C) over a year ago from a USA vendor. I thought it was capable of having dual SIM cards and I see lots of YouTube videos, mostly posted from India, that show how to install a second SIM and not give up your memory card.

I do not use a memory card, and have no desire for adding one, but with the addition of a new cell tower install in the neighborhood, I would like to add a second SIM card. Unfortunately when I pull out the SIM tray and examine it, the second nano SIM is too long to fit crosswise in the tray as shown in the videos. Looking on ebay I note there are trays available for the G5s Plus that will take two SIM cards.

Now for the question. Are all G5s Plus cell phones created equal and it is only a matter of using the correct tray, or is the tray that will take only one SIM a sign that there is only one set of SIM contacts inside the phone and I will be just wasting my money by purchasing a dual SIM tray?
    I'm not sure what the type M271C means. The U.S. version of the Moto G5s Plus is model XT1806, and it has only one SIM.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    The U.S. version of the Moto G5s Plus is model XT1806, and it has only one SIM.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app
    As does mine, but I still do not know the answer to the question I asked.

Is the only difference between a dual SIM unit and a single SIM unit the tray?

It might be that rather than make two different boards, they made one board on one production line and just differentiated between the two by using two different trays. If that was the case, a tray that would accept two SIMs might be all that is needed. Of course the firmware and OS might be different as well, but first things first. The lack of a second set of contacts internally would present an insurmountable problem.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Check image.. Hope it will help you

Name:  moto g5s.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  36.5 KB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPan2 View Post
    As does mine, but I still do not know the answer to the question I asked.

Is the only difference between a dual SIM unit and a single SIM unit the tray?

It might be that rather than make two different boards, they made one board on one production line and just differentiated between the two by using two different trays. If that was the case, a tray that would accept two SIMs might be all that is needed. Of course the firmware and OS might be different as well, but first things first. The lack of a second set of contacts internally would present an insurmountable problem.
    If you look at the information at the link below, there are five different versions of the G5s+, each meant for different world markets. Three of those versions are dual sim capable. The version sold for the US market (XT 1806) is not dual sim capable.

Check and see what version/model number your phone is ...

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mo...699.php#xt1803