Thread: Need some help understanding Wifi hotspot devices...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question Need some help understanding Wifi hotspot devices...

Hi Everyone,
    yes I am new here. I am looking for help to understand these Wifi Hotspot Devices. It seems that every device all require data to work. However, I really don't like the fact that I have to pay for data for my phone and now an extra data plan for one of these devices.
    I have been noticing that it is possible to purchase an unlocked device. But what good does that actually do? I still need data to use it. I also noticed that it is possible to purchase a sim card that has pre-paid data.
    So if I am stuck having to buy data just for the device, then is a sim card the simplest and cheapest answer? What type of device is the best to get?
    I am in a remote area of Canada so the types on Amazon won't be suitable for here. There is nothing to pair it up with.
    It looks like a only have a choice of 2 providers - Bell and Rogers. They both have hotspot sticks and they have a couple of other types . The reviews I have read are overall negative for their actually functionality.
    Any help here?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Since it's Canadian specific I suggest Howard's Canadian Wireless Discussion.
    https://www.howardforums.com/forumdi...ess-Discussion
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamsAunt View Post
    Hi Everyone, yes I am new here. I am looking for help to understand these Wifi Hotspot Devices. It seems that every device all require data to work. However, I really don't like the fact that I have to pay for data for my phone and now an extra data plan for one of these devices. I have been noticing that it is possible to purchase an unlocked device. But what good does that actually do? I still need data to use it. I also noticed that it is possible to purchase a sim card that has pre-paid data. So if I am stuck having to buy data just for the device, then is a sim card the simplest and cheapest answer? What type of device is the best to get? I am in a remote area of Canada so the types on Amazon won't be suitable for here. There is nothing to pair it up with. It looks like a only have a choice of 2 providers - Bell and Rogers. They both have hotspot sticks and they have a couple of other types . The reviews I have read are overall negative for their actually functionality. Any help here?
    can you not use the hotspot / tethering feature on your phone ??

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Same question re using mobile hotspot (or personal hotspot) feature on phone.

I don't remember exact numbers, but a separate hotspot device would have been overall more in cost than adding a hotspot/tethering fee to my line. Expect a fee for data either way. The carrier may only lease the device and not sell it outright. When I looked into it the only option was to lease the device for a monthly fee, plus the monthly fee for capped data. The carrier may or may not sell the hotspot device or lease it, or only lease it for a monthly fee.

I'm not sure about operational factors. The only one that comes to mind, possibly, is whether your phone is cable of voice calls (and SMS) simultaneously with data. Mine phones are and have been. I have no complaints with using hotspot on phone.

Caveat, my experience was with a carrier in the USA.
    - Ira

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I could for a short time, but creating a hotspot with my phone uses data anyway plus uses up my phone battery.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah, you are going to use data and pay a fee no matter what.

If you were to go this route you would want to plug your phone in. There could be a situation where you need to go online with a laptop in a pinch, and you would do it, but otherwise you would want to connect to power.

In the bigger scheme it depends on what you want to do. There are other solutions. Still, it is going to cost.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamsAunt View Post
    I could for a short time, but creating a hotspot with my phone uses data anyway plus uses up my phone battery.
    try using USB tethering, not only are you using your data, you're also charging your phone.