Thread: S8 Active on Straight Talk Red

Feedback Score

S8 Active on Straight Talk Red

I am in the market for a new phone to replace my Galaxy S6. I am pretty brutal on my phone and really want an S8 Active. The larger battery and flat screen appeal to me greatly, however the Verizon Network is the only one with anything close to decent service where I live.

I am not too familiar with cell network technology, but from my research the only LTE bands that the S6 has over the S8 active is Band 17. I know firmware controls which band is activated for each carrier or something, but I don't know which for which carrier. The active was available for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

Is there any possible way to get an S8 Active to function similarly well as my unlocked verizon S6 on a straight talk red sim card? Any firmware flashes or anything to make it work? Thanks for any help and sorry if I have everything wrong, I'm a novice in the cell phone world.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    From what I remember, the Samsung S8 Active is only GSM. There is no way to get the S8 Active on Verizon. Plus the phone needs to be Verizon certified. The next thing is phones have to work on Verizon's VoLTE system since Verizon is going to drop their CDMA network at the start of next year.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I doubt Samsung will go through the process of certifying a 2-year old device.

Also, Verizon seems to {currently} deny MVNOs the ability to activate CDMA-less devices. So you’ll still need a device that has VoLTE and CDMA in order to use it on Straight Talk right now. This may change around the end of the year, but we do not know for sure yet.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Also features such as volte and MMS don't really work correctly on MVNOs of Verizon even if Verizon certified on Samsung devices running newer firmware.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Since no possibility of the s8 active is there any rugged smartphones that have decent performance that function on Verizon? The cat s61 is At&t, the AGM x3 has spotty compatibility with Verizon according to this site (kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/US/agm-x3). Anything else out there that has good performance and I won't have to worry about replacing within the next year or am I pretty well stuck getting an S8+ and putting on an otterbox and hoping it makes it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Austin J. View Post
    Since no possibility of the s8 active is there any rugged smartphones that have decent performance that function on Verizon? The cat s61 is At&t, the AGM x3 has spotty compatibility with Verizon according to this site (kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/US/agm-x3). Anything else out there that has good performance and I won't have to worry about replacing within the next year or am I pretty well stuck getting an S8+ and putting on an otterbox and hoping it makes it?
    Here’s a recent Verizon directly-sold device:
    Kyocera DuraForce PRO 2: https://www.verizonwireless.com/smar...raforce-pro-2/

You might be able to find a used/refurb/“refreshed” one for under $200 bucks.

There should be a few others available as used models. Many rugged phones have the performance of a midrange phone, so take that FWIW.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know I have a friend with Moto Z2 Force now, but it was not as good as his old Moto Droid Turbo 2. The only reason why he does not use Moto Droid Turbo 2 any more was the battery. If the battery still worked, he would still use it. He broke a Moto Z Force because the screen started to have issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Also, Verizon seems to {currently} deny MVNOs the ability to activate CDMA-less devices. So you’ll still need a device that has VoLTE and CDMA in order to use it on Straight Talk right now. This may change around the end of the year, but we do not know for sure yet.
    Verizon has been selling CDMA-less devices for some time, so does that mean they can only be activated directly on Verizon? I wonder how you find out which models are which? Their basic phones seem to be LTE only.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Verizon has been selling CDMA-less devices for some time, so does that mean they can only be activated directly on Verizon? I wonder how you find out which models are which? Their basic phones seem to be LTE only.
    Yeah, basic phones on Verizon have been CDMA-less for a while.
    Tracfone brands still sells basic Verizon-network phones with both CDMA and LTE.

There isn’t a way on Verizon’s sales portal to tell if a device is CDMA-less. You have to look up the model and check a site like frequencycheck.

ADDENDUM: Okay, so I ran a few numbers on the IMEI checker on Total Wireless’ activation site, using IMEIs of devices being sold online. Since it is a Verizon-only MVNO, they should only accept Verizon-compatible phones.
    A T-Mobile-sold OnePlus 6t IMEI will pass activation now, as will a AT&T-sold iPhone 8+. This is interesting in that both of those models are known to be CDMA-less. I may test this theory when I have a chance to purchase a better device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Tracfone brands still sells basic Verizon-network phones with both CDMA and LTE.
    There may be an exception with the Tracfone brands in the Alcatel MyFlip being CDMA-less.