Thread: Straight Talk Home Phone and 2G - Effected by VZ Closure of 2G/3G?

Feedback Score

Straight Talk Home Phone and 2G - Effected by VZ Closure of 2G/3G?

I have read elsewhere on this forum that by the end of 2019 certain Tracfone VZ CDMA phones running on 2G and 3G will be rendered useless. This was also alluded to by the website Tracfone Reviewer Blogspot.

Since Straight Talk is a division of Tracfone, and I own a Wireless Home Phone powered by them on the VZ 2G network, I was wondering if I will be effected. So I just called ST Customer Service, and was told that Home Phones would not be effected only Smart Phones.

I also own a Tracfone LG Rebel 3 but from what I read in the above article, my phone luckily would not be effected.

Does anyone hear know how this closure of the 2G and 3G will effect Straight Talk Home Phones which run on CDMA?

I think this mammoth change will also effect Home Phone Users as well but would appreciate clarification. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Based on the speculation in this thread, I would suspect that your service will be discontinued by the end of this year (if not sooner)

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ill-prepaid-do

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I would say your service will almost certainly be terminated. From what I've gathered, beyond end of year 2019, they will be running (probably) 1 channel of CDMA until sometime in 2022 to fullfill a few enterprise contracts (including for some CDMA alarm systems and such.) But it seems likely the only devices with access to that channel will be ones under those contracts, and possibly roamers.

In general the network closure is not only affecting smart phones that info from ST Customer Service is wrong (unless ST has some special arrangement under one of those enterprise contracts); it's affecting all non 4G-LTE smart phones, flip phones, and other devices, as well as the earlier 4G LTE phones and tablets that don't support VoLTE. I would really assume the home phone will lose service along with everything else. AFAIK, Verizon gave prepaid carriers an extension (until end of 2018) to *activate* a few models of older phones (basically models they still had a high stock of...) but that still won't keep them running past end of 2019.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Given the lack of communication so far, I'm a bit skeptical that the 2019 shutdown is going to happen. Since they have to keep it up through 2022 anyway, I suspect that some phones/devices will be allowed to stay on it... but I sure as heck wouldn't count on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Given the lack of communication so far, I'm a bit skeptical that the 2019 shutdown is going to happen..
    183 days can't here fast enough so people will finally see that yes it did in fact shut down. Why play a game of chicken that at the very minimum, one has 50/50 chance of losing? Especially when it's easily avoidable?

Feedback Score
    I would think that eventually tf/straight talk would get their own version of VZWs own LTE home phone device.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/home...sku=sku2260556

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    183 days can't here fast enough so people will finally see that yes it did in fact shut down. Why play a game of chicken that at the very minimum, one has 50/50 chance of losing? Especially when it's easily avoidable?
    It's a bit of a challenge if there is currently no replacement for the StraightTalk Home Phone device. Of course people should be aware that the shutdown may well happen on schedule.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I doubt TracFone had a ton of uptake on the service in the first place, which is why they've never bothered to replace the device with a GSM or VoLTE capable one.

I doubt this will affect *that* many people.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    It's a bit of a challenge if there is currently no replacement for the StraightTalk Home Phone device.
    Well, my parents (my dad *INSISTS* they need a landline...) went from a Verizon Home Phone Connect (per Google, a Huawei F256VW) to a "4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice" (T1114). Current version is T1114V, but that is just the T1114 with a slight case change and VoLTE-capable firmware preloaded; the T1114 autoupdates itself over the air to T1114V firmware. There's apparently also a T2000 home phone, providing just the voice stuff but via VoLTE. When my parents realized the home phone connect was already a $20 addon, and they could instead get landline plus "unlimited" wifi (throttled to 600kbps at 15GB) for the same $20.. they were quite pleased, like "You mean we can drop the DSL and pay $0 a month for Internet?"

So, the devices do exist, it'll just be up to StraighTalk to support sell and support them.