Thread: ST Home Phone Confusion - Verizon Service

Feedback Score

ST Home Phone Confusion - Verizon Service

I manage a ST Home Phone device, model Huawei 226C for my elderly parents. Their service provider is Verizon. After reading another thread, I learned Verizon is discontinuing their CDMA service. It is unclear to me, what the impact will be for those using these home phone devices. I could not find anything addressing this issue using web searches, however, new home phone devices are not available in WM or from ST. WM and ST continue to allow users to purchase and activate the $15 refill cards with no mention of the service being discontinued. Would appreciate clarification so I can stay ahead of the game if other home phone arrangements will be necessary.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    My guess, with Straight Talk not mentioning newer home phone devices on their page: ST may be quietly discontinuing home phone service. It took me some time to even find the old home phone dock on their website, obviously out-of-stock. Most links to the home phone service are buried now.

Current CDMA devices will still work until the end of the year, so that might be why Walmart is still selling refill cards.

Have you talked to customer support asking for clarification? They do have a specific phone number compared to the rest of Straight Talk’s services.

Verizon does sell a VoLTE home phone base station. FWIW, I am reading reviews for that device are not good. You can also find AT&T and T-Mobile home phone docks elsewhere.
    YMMV on those working with any MVNO.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It is confusing, but from what we found out, Verizon is going to leave some CDMA network for M2M and IoT devices. From what we understand, the older Huawei 226C is classified as a M2M device. You can read more info in this thread: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Phone-Service

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jagator View Post
    I manage a ST Home Phone device, model Huawei 226C for my elderly parents. Their service provider is Verizon. After reading another thread, I learned Verizon is discontinuing their CDMA service. It is unclear to me, what the impact will be for those using these home phone devices. I could not find anything addressing this issue using web searches, however, new home phone devices are not available in WM or from ST. WM and ST continue to allow users to purchase and activate the $15 refill cards with no mention of the service being discontinued. Would appreciate clarification so I can stay ahead of the game if other home phone arrangements will be necessary.
    There is some good recent discussion here:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Phone-Service

It looks like Straight Talk is a dead end at the moment with no Verizon VoLTE devices available. Maybe they will get it together before the end of the year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    It is confusing, but from what we found out, Verizon is going to leave some CDMA network for M2M and IoT devices. From what we understand, the older Huawei 226C is classified as a M2M device. You can read more info in this thread: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Phone-Service
    Someone posted the transcript of a conversation with an ST Rep about continuing home Phone service after the CDMA shutdown. The Rep stated the shutdown affected mobile phones, but not the Home Phone service. I can't find that posting now. What I have not seen is how long Verizon is going to support special service CDMA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It looks like Straight Talk is a dead end at the moment with no Verizon VoLTE devices available. Maybe they will get it together before the end of the year.
    Every indication is that ST wants out of the Home Phone business. They for a while did have the ZTE Z723EL which ran on 4G LTE. You can't activate a Verizon T2000 on ST either. Pressure from Verizon? Service cards are hard to find in stores too, sometimes you have to buy online with an active account.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Every indication is that ST wants out of the Home Phone business. They for a while did have the ZTE Z723EL which ran on 4G LTE. You can't activate a Verizon T2000 on ST either. Pressure from Verizon? Service cards are hard to find in stores too, sometimes you have to buy online with an active account.
    Walmart finally put the home phone cards back on their site.

Feedback Score
    Ooma has a decent alternative you might look into.

https://www.ooma.com/home-phone-service/phone-genie/

They sell these for $50 at Walmart, but they run on the Sprint LTE network, so check coverage.