Thread: Cricket more heavily throttling?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Cricket more heavily throttling?

I have the 5GB $40 plan (have had it for a couple years at least). The plan has an advertised 8MB throttle.
    Over the last few weeks I've found that I can't get a speedtest in most areas over 3MB. When the Speedtest app first starts it will shoot up to anywhere between 15 to 30 MB then continue to fall back to around 3MB. This is true across several phones using the same SIM. Doesn't seem to matter which band I'm on (2, 5, 17, 30). These readings are in areas with 80 to 100 db of signal strength. This readings hold true across multiple geographic areas in Massachusetts (so multiple towers). Also over multiple times of the day 5:00AM, 2PM, 7PM, etc. My suspicion is that that Cricket, even on the 8MB plans is being at least intermittently throttled more aggressively of late. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Feedback Score
    I don't think Cricket is throttling anymore than advertised. This is either a coincidence or perhaps something is up with your sim/account. I'm on the old 5/100 plan since ATT acquisition and I can count on on hand over the years when I didn't get the full 7-8mbps. If anything I just ran a test and my ping was down to 28ms, so all in all things are just getting better with time.

Feedback Score
    I agree with the person above I'd say you need to contact cricket because it's something wrong with your account settings this should not be the case.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Our speeds in Central Ohio have been terrible lately. Speed tests are as bad as .7dn .1up and web sites hang and timeout. This just started in the last few weeks as we typically see close to the full 3Mb/3Mb. It seems like an upload or DNS issue.

Feedback Score
    Agree with the OP. I commute into NYC from CT everyday and have had Cricket for 18 months. It has been great until the last few months. My situation is MUCH worse than the OP on the commuter train during rush hour. It's not that I am throttled to 3mb...I can't get a data connection AT ALL for about 40 minutes of the 60 minute ride. I have an iphoneSE. I can make calls, but they drop often. Data/text are non-existent.

My guess is that there are so many people on various trains in the vicinity that ATT deprioritizes Cricket to the point that it doesn't work at all. Not good. I have prepaid into next year, but will be shopping around for a new carrier if it is not fixed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by khakuda View Post
    Agree with the OP. I commute into NYC from CT everyday and have had Cricket for 18 months. It has been great until the last few months. My situation is MUCH worse than the OP on the commuter train during rush hour. It's not that I am throttled to 3mb...I can't get a data connection AT ALL for about 40 minutes of the 60 minute ride. I have an iphoneSE. I can make calls, but they drop often. Data/text are non-existent.

My guess is that there are so many people on various trains in the vicinity that ATT deprioritizes Cricket to the point that it doesn't work at all. Not good. I have prepaid into next year, but will be shopping around for a new carrier if it is not fixed.
    Instead of deprioritization it could be where they're currently rolling out 5G and it's messing with everybody else until the towers are done. This would make sense for them to be doing it in the heavier populated areas. Because I doubt they have more people traveling now 18 months ago when you first got there.

Feedback Score
    By the way are any of you who are having problems actually reporting it? Because otherwise it's useless to wait around until it "gets fixed".
    AT&T has a reporting tool in the app store that is good to use for that purpose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    By the way are any of you who are having problems actually reporting it? Because otherwise it's useless to wait around until it "gets fixed".
    AT&T has a reporting tool in the app store that is good to use for that purpose.
    I contacted them on Twitter, which typically works much better than chat or calling and they claimed there was a tower issue. Only problem is I gave them two zip codes on opposite sides of the metro. Sounded like a canned response with a 'fix' date of 6/30. Still seeing slower than usual access.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    I contacted them on Twitter, which typically works much better than chat or calling and they claimed there was a tower issue. Only problem is I gave them two zip codes on opposite sides of the metro. Sounded like a canned response with a 'fix' date of 6/30. Still seeing slower than usual access.
    Use the reporting tool. It will run a diagnostics and send it to them directly instead of cricket.

Feedback Score
    We have noticed it in Middle Tennessee on multiple devices, both Android and iOS. I reached out to Cricket via Twitter. They had me do a few things, but nothing changed. I didn't expect it to.

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Im just realizing the ookla speed test app is not correct. I'm on the unlimited extra plan and this app shows me always getting speeds below 3mbps. When I used the ookla speed test in desktop mode, I get speeds above 60mbps. I get the same results also using other speedtest apps with data speeds 60mbps or more.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm experiencing the opposite. They apparently upped their capacity as I'm seeing 150-180Mbps+. While downloading a file, my network monitor showed 25MB/s which is 200Mbps.

Ookla result.
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5101623997.png
    https://i.imgur.com/ngyhTMA.png

Speedofme result.
    https://i.speedof.me/190709110912-7004 (love the failed upload test)

So it may be upgrades currently being done that's making it bad for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post
    I'm experiencing the opposite. They apparently upped their capacity as I'm seeing 150-180Mbps+. While downloading a file, my network monitor showed 25MB/s which is 200Mbps.

Ookla result.
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5101623997.png
    https://i.imgur.com/ngyhTMA.png

Speedofme result.
    https://i.speedof.me/190709110912-7004 (love the failed upload test)

So it may be upgrades currently being done that's making it bad for you.
    Must be nice. I can't even hit the 3Mbps down cap on the Unlimited plan with an iPhone XS and 3 bars of LTE. Been like this for weeks on all 5 of our lines.
    Name:  IMG_0850.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  23.8 KB

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    OP here, I think my problem may have stemmed from the ookla Speedtest app, which previously has been reliable. I tried a second app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...speedanalytics) and have been getting much closer to the 8/8 readings I was expecting. Sadly I think the ookla Speedtest app servers may be having issues.
    Last edited by greatgoogly; 07-09-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    OP here, I think my problem may have stemmed from the ookla Speedtest app, which previously has been reliable. I tried a second app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...speedanalytics) and have been getting much closer to the 8/8 readings I was expecting. Sadly I think the ookla Speedtest app servers may be having issues.
    There may be something to that, but using apps and browsing itself has been pretty bad over the last month. I think the two are related. If I use the Wifiman speed test app I get better speeds, although upload still struggles at times.