Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Phone choice -- S8, Moto G7, or ???

Feedback Score
    They are sending the Magic Box. The agent seems unaware of the Voice Amps existance and insisted that the airrave was the only solution to voice issues. No wifi = no airrave.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    They are sending the Magic Box. The agent seems unaware of the Voice Amps existance and insisted that the airrave was the only solution to voice issues. No wifi = no airrave.
    OK he is a clueless moron.

But that's great that at least you are eligible.

I hope it is the Gold one, otherwise you will have to ship the one you get back later, to be replaced by Magic Box Gold and Voice Amp. I would suggest call Magic Box Support at 1-844-463-3194 to review the order while it is being processed and maybe add on Voice Amp.

Feedback Score
    Good idea, I will call them back. They were at least an efficient department which isn't always the case.

See screenshots from the LTE Discovery. It seems we are pulling from different towers. The indoor one is just an internal room. The second one I took with the phones sitting in the window where I've gotten the best signal. Thoughts?Name:  20190705_132031.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  83.3 KBName:  20190705_132816.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  75.7 KB

Feedback Score
    Good idea, I will call them back. They were at least an efficient department which isn't always the case.

See screenshots from the LTE Discovery. It seems we are pulling from different towers. The indoor one is just an internal room. The second one I took with the phones sitting in the window where I've gotten the best signal. Thoughts?
    Yeah, the Samsung is choosing CDMA, probably because it is the stronger signal and it thinks it will be more stable, whereas the other one is going for broke with LTE because it is faster.

I have seen that pattern before. It is a judgment call. Speed is not the only consideration. Sometimes it works out better one way and sometimes the other.

You might find also it varies. Be sure to go into Airplane mode and out again after moving the phone.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-05-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Feedback Score
    Also check that the S8 is not set to force CDMA in Settings under Connections / Mobile Network / Network Mode!

Also please run System Updates/ Update PRL

and System Updates/ Update Profile

so that the phone has the very latest network configuration info for your location.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-05-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    I live in this niche of the niche!! We are about 25 min outside of St. Louis but in this little rural pocket. My acreage is surrounded by trees, which is why signal is terrible this time of year. (yes, the leaves matter). On the Moto x4/G6 we have voice and data in the house. The S8+ presently is not getting either, which is a fundamental problem that I'll be calling Sprint about today. We have no cable, no fiber, no DSL. The only internet choice is satellite You can't use the wifi on satellite to extend cover cause it's just awful with latency.
    Interesting. That sucks that you've got no terrestrial broadband available. Satellite is definitely too high latency for any sort of VoIP, much less a microcell type of device. Do you have AT&T LTE available at all? You could do the Unlimited iPad plan hotspot trick and use a signal booster to replace or supplement the satellite. Sprint Wi-Fi calling would probably work over that. I know people have used T-Mobile or AT&T Wi-Fi calling over a Verizon Jetpack. Still, it's worth trying to get the booster from Sprint at least for voice. If you could get AT&T for data, you'd have a true UDP versus trying to use a limited amount of MHS.

Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Odds are high that the phones are just picking different bands to run on and the real difference is between the different bands.
    Quite possible. I don't know if it's Sprint or Motorola, but my Moto phone on Sprint is lousy at picking bands.

Yeah, the Samsung is choosing CDMA, probably because it is the stronger signal and it thinks it will be more stable, whereas the other one is going for broke with LTE because it is faster.
    Plus the S8 is actually getting a bit better signal on B25, which is what I'd expect, as it's a pretty good phone RF wise. I wonder if there's no B26 there, as it's sitting on B25?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Interesting. That sucks that you've got no terrestrial broadband available. Satellite is definitely too high latency for any sort of VoIP, much less a microcell type of device. Do you have AT&T LTE available at all?

Plus the S8 is actually getting a bit better signal on B25, which is what I'd expect, as it's a pretty good phone RF wise. I wonder if there's no B26 there, as it's sitting on B25?
    Tell me about it! We moved 10 minutes from our old subdivision house to the country and had no idea we'd have no choices for internet. We have considered doing a LTE solution before, but it has to be unlimited. I have one in college, 1 in high school, and one homeschooled that need connection. The only ATT experience is we have a phone on puretalkusa (att) and it gets terrible signal too.

I just got this screenshot from LTE Discovery... any thoughts on the "Potential eCFSB issue detected"?Name:  Screenshot_20190706-110623_LTE Discovery.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  39.7 KB

I have to decide if the problem is this specific S8+ and could be solved with different hardware or if it's an issue with how that phone works here and pick a new device. The teenagers are having a good time showing off how much faster their phones are - boohoo!

I was just reading this thread and fear it may be that the s8 just isn't going to work well here https://community.sprint.com/t5/Sams...es/td-p/964518

Feedback Score
    Tell me about it! We moved 10 minutes from our old subdivision house to the country and had no idea we'd have no choices for internet. We have considered doing a LTE solution before, but it has to be unlimited. I have one in college, 1 in high school, and one homeschooled that need connection. The only ATT experience is we have a phone on puretalkusa (att) and it gets terrible signal too.

I just got this screenshot from LTE Discovery... any thoughts on the "Potential eCFSB issue detected"?

I have to decide if the problem is this specific S8+ and could be solved with different hardware or if it's an issue with how that phone works here and pick a new device. The teenagers are having a good time showing off how much faster their phones are - boohoo!

I was just reading this thread and fear it may be that the s8 just isn't going to work well here https://community.sprint.com/t5/Sams...es/td-p/964518

You can find someone with every problem on any phone. There is no widely known problem on S8's of that nature. In fact it is one of the best models there is.

Did you check that the phone as not set to CDMA only as I suggested and update the PRL and profile? Or do a factory reset. It could be that the phone is still hanging in to some settings from prior carrier use.

Also check that there are no APN's set. That could be the issue.

I would take in to a Sprint corporate-owned store (not a franchise).

There are a whole bunch of trouble shooting steps you could take but you need to try what is suggested and echo back what you try step by step or we cannot help.

Does it get LTE anywhere?

If it is pre-owned it is probably either defective or hanging onto old settings.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-06-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    You can find someone with every problem on any phone. There is no widely known problem on S8's of that nature. In fact it is one of the best models there is.

Did you check that the phone as not set to CDMA only as I suggested and update the PRL and profile? Or do a factory reset. It could be that the phone is still hanging in to some settings from prior carrier use.

Also check that there are no APN's set. That could be the issue.

I would take in to a Sprint corporate-owned store (not a franchise).

There are a whole bunch of trouble shooting steps you could take but you need to try what is suggested and echo back what you try step by step or we cannot help.

Does it get LTE anywhere?

If it is pre-owned it is probably either defective or hanging onto old settings.
    I did check the CDMA setting - it is set to automatic.

I have redone the profile and prl multiple times. I even redid the provisioning with the command from the phone menu while on the phone with sprint.

Yes, I get LTE while outdoors at my property - just not indoors like I use to on the Moto.

I have not checked APNs or done a factory reset. I think that's my next step before I send it back. I was hoping to avoid downloading all the software updates again but I do like the phone and it working is easier than getting a new one. I will perform the reset and report back :-)

Feedback Score

I have redone the profile and prl multiple times. I even redid the provisioning with the command from the phone menu while on the phone with sprint.

Yes, I get LTE while outdoors at my property - just not indoors like I use to on the Moto.

I have not checked APNs or done a factory reset. I think that's my next step before I send it back. I was hoping to avoid downloading all the software updates again but I do like the phone and it working is easier than getting a new one. I will perform the reset and report back :-)
    Oh ok very good.

Feedback Score

Your moto x4 is likely just a better b26 performer. Every phone model varies. B26 performance on the S9+ is better than the S8+ but the S10+ has b26 performance on par with the S8+ so it's not as good as the S9+.

Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terrell352 View Post
    Your moto x4 is likely just a better b26 performer. Every phone model varies. B26 performance on the S9+ is better than the S8+ but the S10+ has b26 performance on par with the S8+ so it's not as good as the S9+.

Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk
    Nice. Is there a resource to compare how different devices perform on different bands/carriers? I really like the bigger screen but don't want to switch to something else that has the same issue. This exercise has been helpful in understanding how we are getting sprint coverage. I'm almost always connected to the 1xrtt so at least I'm getting voice. Since I'm home 80% of the time, finding something that works well here is key.

Factory reset of the s8 has not improved performance.

Feedback Score

Factory reset of the s8 has not improved performance.
    That's too bad.

Remember if the Magic Box works out well over an extended test period, this will hopefully not be a problem at all. Judging by the band 25 signal levels I saw indicated in your screens, it may work out fine but may require some tuning.

Also I am still puzzled as to why the S8 is not getting LTE. Mine gets LTE fine and does not ever switch to CDMA with similar signal power signals to what you have there. I guess it is just making a judgment call that does not work out for the best in your particular circumstances. You may find that the problem goes away eventually as they upgrade your local towers. Or there could be a bug in the S8 software level that you have (even if it is the latest).

By the way please make sure roaming is enabled just in case that helps.

By the way, I suggest turning on VoLTE it allows it and see if that affects things. It might affect band selection.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-06-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    That's too bad.

Remember if the Magic Box works out well over an extended test period, this will hopefully not be a problem at all. Judging by the band 25 signal levels I saw indicated in your screens, it may work out fine but may require some tuning.

Also I am still puzzled as to why the S8 is not getting LTE. Mine gets LTE fine and does not ever switch to CDMA with similar signal power signals to what you have there. I guess it is just making a judgment call that does not work out for the best in your particular circumstances. You may find that the problem goes away eventually as they upgrade your local towers. Or there could be a bug in the S8 software level that you have (even if it is the latest).

By the way please make sure roaming is enabled just in case that helps.

By the way, I suggest turning on VoLTE it allows it and see if that affects things. It might affect band selection.
    Yes, MagicBox will be here this week and my return window is sufficient for the S8 that I can give it some time. That doesn't mean I won't be trolling Amazon on Prime Day and kick it to the curb if the right thing is available (though I'm not sure what that would be yet )

Roaming is on, I have seen it go to roaming a few times. I turned on the notifications just to get a better idea if/when it is using it.

Funny you say that about the VoLTE - I just turned that on a couple of hours ago after I read someone say they roamed to TMobile with it on. I haven't used it since, so we'll see if it helps. I'll be outside for a bit while we disinfect the well so it'll be interesting to see how it performs with that setting kicked on.

Feedback Score
    Yes, MagicBox will be here this week and my return window is sufficient for the S8 that I can give it some time. That doesn't mean I won't be trolling Amazon on Prime Day and kick it to the curb if the right thing is available (though I'm not sure what that would be yet )

Roaming is on, I have seen it go to roaming a few times. I turned on the notifications just to get a better idea if/when it is using it.

Funny you say that about the VoLTE - I just turned that on a couple of hours ago after I read someone say they roamed to TMobile with it on. I haven't used it since, so we'll see if it helps. I'll be outside for a bit while we disinfect the well so it'll be interesting to see how it performs with that setting kicked on.
    Good work!

VoLTE would not cause roaming on TMobile because it is not even supported on TMobile roaming yet. By the way, as you probably know, roaming on TMobile is free and unmetered. And Sprint never charges for roaming (though some non-TMobile roaming is subject to a quota).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast